Saturday, November 11, 2023

It is a Hallmark

I visited the dentist a few days ago.  I had a chipped crown and was not looking forward to the replacement.  As I waited in the chair, I formulated a plan.  The crown replacement would come to over $1,000 much of which I would have to pay.  I was in no pain and I thought maybe he could just fill in the chipped area.  I suggested that and he agreed and I ended up getting a small filling on the side of the molar and ended up only paying $40.00!  But that is not what this post is about.

During the appointment, I sat in the chair and looked up at the TV.  On the TV was a Christmas movie...on the Hallmark Channel, of course.

Have you ever wondered what the word Hallmark actually means? In the United States, it is affiliated with a greeting card company and while people use the traditional mail less and less these days, we still send holiday and regular greetings with a fancy card. (At least some of us do.) 

We also have a cable television channel that is called Hallmark. It is owned by Hallmark Media which is affiliated with Hallmark Cards. The stories are usually about beautiful people (sometimes but rarely physically handicapped and I have not seen an elder romance, but they might have those). They meet up and engage frictionally throughout as well as meet unexpected delays and challenges in their relationship before they fall in love forever. This network is affiliated with the American Christian Television System. I do not watch it because I find the stories predictable, sappy, and unrealistic. Don't get me wrong, I do like a good love story but I have outgrown the "Jane Austen" format.  (I love Jane Austen.)

In 2020 the network was criticised for not having people from the LBGTQ community. Well, I guess that Christian leadership either got woke or saw a way to make more money because they now feature a small amount of those stories. I have not watched them, so I cannot write whether they are similarly sappy and unrealistic. The movie sets are gorgeous and the actors can carry their roles pretty well (challenging?). Now that Christmas is around the corner they are in full swing with new Holiday love stories. 

What does "Hallmark" mean? According to the Internet, it is "A mark indicating quality or excellence. A mark used in Great Britain to stamp gold, silver, and platinum articles that meet established standards of purity. Any of various authorized marks stamped on gold, silver, and platinum articles to indicate where, when, or by whom they were made or assayed."

Enjoy all the holiday movies that you want.  Anything to brighten and inspire our days is recommended.



16 comments:

  1. The first week of November and already christmas themed commercials and movies. too much way to early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your tooth turned out all right.

    The Jane Austen format, I've not liked ever. She is a good novelist. I just don't like her must suffer to have love nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as much as I love a good historical fiction story, I do love Hallmark... mainly because of it's predictability and always a good ending (usually with a kiss). It may not be realistic, but in this day and age, I need all the positive uplifting that I can get. But I do understand how some may find it sappy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes such a movie provides background noise. My husband always guesses the plot anytime he sees a Hallmark movie on our tv. He is usually right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite Christmas movie is still "A Christmas Story." A family Christmas. My second favorite is "Love Actually." Some sap but not too much. Neither are Hallmark productions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on Hallmark movies. Yes, too predictable and too sappy. But pleasant, so occasionally they will do when there is nothing else to watch. We watch TV in the evenings, when the business of our days is done. I'm encourage that the actors strike may be over and some of our regular programing might return for our winter evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get that channel and figure I can skip it. Right now it seems that all the streaming channels are increasing their prices. I might need to let some of them go. I have sure been enjoying "Lessons in Chemistry" on AppleTV. I was sorry to see it only has two more episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh! I haven't seen a Hallmark movie for such a long, long time for the same reason as you and I too love Jane Austen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a huge fan of such movies, or romances in general. They are often too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I discovered the Hallmark movies after hearing other speak about them. I watched for a few years maybe but got tired of the repetitive plots. I might watch Christmas movies in some situations, but generally watch no regular TV now

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't care for the current crop of Hallmark movies, but once upon a time, there was the Hallmark Hall of Fame. They made movies a few times each year that were on CBS, I think. Some of those were excellent and I have never forgotten them. The Hallmark movies of today need to be forgotten because they are so ridiculous and boring.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:46 AM

      Yes, Janie, I had forgotten those and they were the precursor to Masterpiece, perhaps.

      Delete
  12. Anonymous9:52 AM

    Lucretius' comment about one man's meat being another's poison seems to fit here. Instead of watching TV, I reread Barbara Robinson's The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. It never fails to entertain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, Hallmark movies used to not write in a kiss until the very end. They've improved: I've seen some kissing in the middle of the show. What's in their name? The Hall family started Hallmark greeting cards. Used to have a big department store on the Plaza in K.C., it might still be there. Their best movie: The Lost Valentine, with Betty White playing a WW2 widow and Jennifer Love-Hewitt as a reporter researching MIA military. Amazing story line and performers. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:05 PM

      Wow!! Thanks for the information! I wonder if it can be watched somewhere?

      Delete
  14. I do not watch hallmark because I decided long ago to rid myself of television and I am suprised to learn hallmark is part of a Christian network. Thanjs for the information. I am glad your tooth is okay.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.