Monday, September 25, 2023

Ophelia and Other Females

According to Wikipedia "Ophelia (/əˈfiːliə/) is a character in William Shakespeare's drama Hamlet (1599–1601). She is a young noblewoman of Denmark, the daughter of Polonius, sister of Laertes, and potential wife of Prince Hamlet, who, due to Hamlet's actions, ends up in a state of madness that ultimately leads to her drowning."

An appropriate name for the latest tropical storm that hit our area over the weekend.  Many of the low-lying shops and low-lying streets in our coastal towns were flooded by about a foot to two feet of water.  The population prepared, so no tragedies!  At least 48 hours of rain and winds up to 50 miles per hour.

We had to head up to the city to Grand-sit this past weekend because my daughter and her husband were headed to the Eastern Shore beaches for a 50th birthday party for a friend.  So we were stuck inside with the teenagers (only two since one is away at college) and my daughter was at the Eastern shore facing walls of wind and rain.  I am sure they spent most of their celebratory time at the restaurants and bar!




The youngest boy was easy to entertain and watch (12 years old).  We took some dog walks and saw a movie.  The older girl was a real reminder about teenagers and teenage love.  Her grades had been low and since she failed to update her parents on that situation she was grounded for the weekend except for being able to cheer at the football game.  (The love of her life is a football player).


Photos were taken with my new Pixel phone since I did not take my camera due to the possible torrents of rain (which did not happen).


One of the sweet young things below is my granddaughter cheering her high school team and her boyfriend on.


Seems that when we got home she had to go back outside about 9:30 to meet her boyfriend who was dropping off a jacket!  After 15 minutes we had to go out and get her back in the house.  According to her mother who was on the Eastern Shore she is able to track her location and it seems she snuck out after we went to bed!  I was listening carefully for noises but fell asleep at midnight.  If I had not trusted her, I would have slept on the living room sofa and stopped her, but alas, I failed.  My daughter did not think us old grandparents were at fault, but thanks to technology you can track your kids.  They can even track their college kid and see where he is on the campus several states away!

Alas, teenage love is so beautiful and so dangerous.


12 comments:

  1. What a fun story , or at least I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had to deal with the sneaking out issue. Not easy to deal with.
    Glad y'all didn't get the worse of the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was extra credit grandparent duty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Now I know where LInda got her "walls of wind and rain" title. Hope it all passes soon and everyone stays safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is hope for teenage girls returning to normal human beings -- at least that was my experience with m granddaughter once she got out of high school. My grandson at 16 is till the sweetest boy ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I snuck out many times when I was in high school, even sneaking my mom's red buick convertible out of the garage. decades later, she claims to have known but I can't imagine that she knew and never said anything or punished me. I always knew when my son snuck out because he would go through the window in his bedroom but would never remember to relatch the screen when he came in. I knew where he was anyway, over at his best friend's house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful age, with so many options out there but also risks that they seem oblivious to. Tough age for parents as I recall it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my. Our oldest grandchild is 12 now. There will be interesting times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a tough grand-sitting gig! Having survived teenage love with one of my daughters and one of my grand-daughters I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I hope all involved come through it OK.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that was a scary Grand sit. Sometimes I am glad we don't live too close to our Grands. 13 and 11.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Things are so different with kids today. I wouldn't have been game to sneak out without letting anyone know. My freedom wasn't curtailed, and as long as I was home by a reasonable, designated hour, all was well. I guess, too, what rules my Mum and Nana set down, I followed. It seemed easier that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter keeps her eye on her children (all grown up) by tracking on her Apple phone. It is a weird setup, but at least gives you reassurance you know where they are when out in London at night.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.