Sunday, September 10, 2023

A Meeting of Stangers

My world is still pockata, pockata, pockating along. My life seems to be running like an old model T. It is not as smooth or as fast as those EV vehicles that silently zip by me and pass me and with drivers that may or may not wave.  They can go farther and more quietly.  I may groan or grunt or even snap, but I will move forward just pocketing along.

I recently went with some new friends to Hilton Head Island to stay for a week at a place there.  It was within walking distance of the huge beach and also had enough pools that we could swim in the indoor pool by ourselves!  We could use the jacuzzi also.  All the parents and grandparents were in the larger outdoor pool in the sun leaving the indoor pool as a quiet haven.


We did not know these friends who journeyed with us very well.  We did not know their politics and just a little of their religion, but all four of us were brave enough to move into a week of challenges on the island and eventually sit out Hurricane Idelia for a day!  I usually bring easy-to-cook foods for vacation--premade stuff that tastes OK, but do not spend much time in the kitchen.  My friend likes to cook and spent several evenings doing that!  The breakfast that she cooked was lovely.


It was healthy to boot!!

Idelia passed us with some nasty sheets of rain, but most of the tree damage and flooding was to the north of us.

Hubby and I drove further south to visit with his high school friend.  That was a different visit in that they are lovely and smart people whom I barely knew, but they said that they love their Gov. *Desantis* and voted for Cheeto head in the prior Presidential election.  Needless to say, we did not discuss politics much.  When leaving the church on a Sunday, I saw a police car parked in front of the church.  When I asked my friend about that, she said many of the churches now have that because of the shootings.  (There were only white people in this church and the sermon that day was about football!)  They do not seem to see the reason for this safety "necessity" and I will bet $100 that neither the black churches in that part of the state nor the Jewish synagogues had courtesy police cars on Sunday!

Anyway, they live in one of the loveliest parts of the state.


Now for the payment of my life of leisure, I am being punished by a pile of back mail, bills to pay, laundry to do, and restocking the fridge!  And when done I have an English class to teach and then I go to exercise and if time I will catch up on my Blog reading!

15 comments:

  1. Other than the hurricane day, looks like a great trip. My wife and I have been to Hilton Head once, about two years ago, and enjoyed the beach and some seaside dining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photo of the pool feels like spa day. Wonderful picture
    Glad the hurricane wasn't that bad where you are.
    Prayers the ones on the way stay out to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did stop by this morning, so I guess you've got your chores behind you. I loved the flavor of this post and always enjoy hearing from you.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I like hearing from you I think I will stay on my coast. Hurricanes and DeSantis/Trump people, I don't know what's worse. And somehow I don't think the police security is securing the right places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:20 PM

    I would like more for breakfast. It seems all the meals are getting so small. Pretty but small. I have always wanted to visit Hilton Head Island. Had a friend there but she passed away before I could visit her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that part of the world is a trip for sure! It is beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had a great trip.

    Our church has such security and so do all of the churches, no matter the denomination or who attends, but trust me, it is paid for, not courtesy. Off duty officers supplement their pay with such private work, and are allowed to wear their uniforms and use their cruisers when doing it. Partly it is because shootings are on the rise, partly because we have so many children around and parents who want to be sure they are kept safe.

    A sermon about football!?! I wish you could have attended our church two weeks ago. We had a joint service with our partner church, which is of another denomination and is mostly black, and their female pastor brought the sermon, from Ephesians, called, "Better Together." Partnering with them for the past 20 years to make our area a better place to live has been a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had time at Hilton Head years ago due to a business conference there and our desire to then spend time with our daughter who at that time lived in Georgia. Hilton Head is an interesting area on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do get around, and I guess I admire your politeness with those Trumpers. Guess -- but not sure. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. America always looks so luxurious, that pool especially so. It must have given you strength to tackle all the tasks you came home to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. brave indeed to spend a week with people you barely know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet you’re right about where the police are standing guard!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well goodness...I didn't know you were Liberal...I guess you don't want to talk to me since I'm a Conservative... seems Liberals like to insult people if those people don't believe the same as they do...how sad! I really liked your blog but if you only want "same Political leaners" to talk to...then I guess I'll bow out. Also, for your information, churches, in especially south Florida, Do have "curtesy" police surveillance. Black, White and Jewish...and Mosque. Seems some liberal factions don't care for God too much...
    As for Cheeto-Head...really? We also voted for him in the last two elections...and will do so again. I'm not understanding the asterisk, unless you mean, to omit him? No idea... The Biden clan are out and out crooks and need to be impeached and indited! I've found several other, ill-informed Liberals during my blogging journey and it never ceases to amaze me how hurtful you all can be! I have been Nothing but kind and respectful to you when leaving comments.
    Your post today was Insulting and hurtful to us Conservatives, to say the least. It shows a lack of information about politics in general.
    Do your research and quit listening to your buddies. As a teacher, you should know better than to be so narrow-minded. Our state of affairs under the Biden administration is a horrible joke. He needs medical help...and at least Cheeto Head messed with women his own age...Take that any way you want.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could take each of your comments and argue with them all, but too tired. Please look at the Russian meeting with our former leader and when you see how thrilled the Russians were to meet with him, that should tell you everything. Russian leaders are despotic rulers and would love to carve us up like a pie and the former President would have given them that in exchange for a hotel to be built in St. Petersburg that they were negotiating along with other things that men like that want. I can bid my time. Not all Conservatives are bad or thieves or lost in the wilderness. Romney and Cheny and others show that.

      Delete
  14. Pauline8:56 PM

    Oh goodness. I can't believe that comment above mine. We are coming up to an election here so politics is a topic I avoid at all costs. However, I've always admired how you express your political opinions, and have never, ever detected anything hurtful.
    To me it is sad that anyone needs protection in order to attend church.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.