Sunday, July 23, 2023

The Rest of the Trip






We managed to coordinate all of the activities which included our 53 -year-vow renewal, which also included my son-in-law's Birthday dinner. My daughter and son-in-law went out while we ate with the others. Activities also included my son's anniversary dinner for the two of them. 




We babysat for the anniversary dinner so that they could go to some lovely overpriced place and have quiet time.  And, of course, a fire dance Luau.  



That was some of the good stuff. I think my best breakfast was at Western Cafe in Honolulu which has a souffle pancake that melts in your mouth.
And there is (sadly) always room for the rest of the story. Our flight home was not without the passionate and unpredictable Madame Pele giving a shove off. Due to hubby's dementia, he had put down his backpack while we went through security, and as they allowed us through I did not see it in front of my suitcase. So when I went to pass through the final gate I tripped and fell face down over the bag and brought down my carryon beside me. He had just turned to make sure he had not forgotten anything, but it was too late for me. I was more embarrassed than anything as the young TSA agents helped me to my feet. We did go on ahead a bit stunned. As an afterthought, I was thankful that I had worn the compression stockings for the long flight back as the bruising and swelling on my knee and shin were greatly reduced and I had no trouble walking! 

But Madame Pele was not finished with me yet! As we boarded the plane a young man was having trouble fitting his carry-on in the overhead bin and I showed him a place behind me that had more room. As he turned to see the place his bag fell out of the overhead compartment where it was precariously balanced and hit me on the forehead pushing my glasses down my nose! It was a very mild hit considering! Needless to say, I only left my seat once to use the bathroom figuring I had pushed my luck as far as it would go.

10 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! Your falls and bang on the forehead are AWFUL! Funny that you and I were both celebrating anniversaries and having these things happen. Gee... I haven't heard anything from Pele lately. I wonder if she'll erupt again soon. I shall have to look up Western Cafe. I've never even heard of it. Then again I haven't heard of 75% of the eating places in Honolulu, I'm sure. I'm so glad you made it home safely. Traveling can be tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:11 PM

    How terrible! I am glad that neither mishap ended with worse damage to you. Hope you are on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great time with some minor blips since you didn't get hurt. Still embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just glanced down and saw your line, " hit me with your best shot". I think you've had enough of that for a while.
    I'm happy to hear that all was celebrated and the injuries were minor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But that gave you the most interesting blog fodder. So it may have been worth it. 🤓

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'm glad there were some good parts to the vacation. I sympathize with the trip over the bag. I tripped recently landing hard on my knee and it bruised from knee to ankle. took a good six weeks to heal completely though it never impacted my walking. fortunately only one neighbor saw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi tabor,
    thank you for your comment on my blog.
    I have just read through a few months of your posts; I am so very sorry that you will have to cope with your husband's dementia too. It is a very hard thing to do. Why is it mainly the most intelligent people it happens to? I remember that only very recently you were still 'reporting' on your husband's official work trips.
    You sound so much like me, perhaps your inclination to avoid crowds and busy people will help you once you need to spend time to look after your husband more intensely. My husband didn't suffer for long, he was physically ill which made his vascular dementia worse but also short lived, mercifully.
    I am glad that you have the strength to do these interesting trips with family members; it makes a great difference.
    btw, I am finding it quite hard to get to your blog nowadays, is there a reason why your comments do no longer automatically lead me to your blog? Friko

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor you. Embarrassing but still not much damage done. I have tripped over twice over suitcases, luckily both times into someone's arms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just realizing how lucky I have been to have never had any of the sort of incidences that you encountered when traveling. So glad you bounced back! Not literally of course. Think you can do without any added bounces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, those pancakes look Wonderful! Bet they were good...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.