Monday, July 17, 2023

Can You Accept What is Out of Your Control or Do You Just Bitch?

Yes, I have returned from my twelve-day jaunt to Oahu, Kauai, and Maui. If you recalled this was something that our children insisted upon when we had to cancel our original 50-year anniversary trip plans during the COVID year.  My husband and I were graduate students at the University of Hawaii and met there and married there.

As I have written, I was not excited or thrilled about his trip and it was mostly due to my pessimism toward projects when others have great expectations and for which there are lots of details.  There were so very many details in moving eleven people from island to island and making sure there were reservations when needed for restaurants, boats, or even helicopters.

So how did it go (?) you may ask.  Reasonably well I may answer considering all the moving parts.  It was not outstanding because there were a number of hiccups throughout.

The night before our arrival in Denver to change planes on the first leg of the journey, there were some serious thunderstorms across the mid-US which led to over 1,100 plane cancellations.  Some say this was the biggest mess of the travel season in the U.S.  No, our flights were not among the canceled, but it did mean the airport was filled to capacity with passengers trying to make new connections.  We were stuck on the lower floor of the airport where the shuttle trains broke down and could not run to bring people to their gates for at least 30-minute intervals.  Some were stuck in those shuttle trains shoulder to shoulder with the doors closed, while the rest of us stood outside waiting for the trains to move so a new train that was empty would appear and let us get on.

There was much shouting and cheering and when we finally caught our 6.5-hour flight to Honolulu I was exhausted.  We checked into our hotel on Waikiki Beach, walked around a bit, ate a light dinner, and then collapsed in our hotel room.  


When I got up the next morning, I was still tired and thinking it was jet lag, pushed myself to Mount Tantelus for a familiar view and a brief hike.  We did not rent a car and found ourselves Ubering everywhere.  Even with the limited cell service up Mount Tantalus, we were able to get an Uber back after a short hike through the forest.   We then visited our Alma Mater, the University of Hawaii.



I was surprised that my old Hall did not look the same and the library had changed quite a bit from over 50 years ago.  My husband could not visit his office building without a code so we peeked through the door and talked to some graduate students outside.  The trees on the campus were 50 years older and provided much-beloved shade while the footprint of the campus seemed smaller somehow ;-).

Hubby had gotten a blister on Oahu and we literally got lost at the gigantic Ala Moana Shopping Center looking for an athletic shoe store.  People must get lost there every day.  Terrible design, very few maps, and way too many stores for the rich people!

Two days later I was still not feeling better and took a COVID test, and sure enough, I had caught COVID, probably in Denver.

I was not coughing or sneezing, just tired and achy.  This is my second bout with this virus.  I started wearing a mask and did not cancel my flight to Kauai to meet up with my family.  I told them and they were disappointed both for me and also disappointed that I could not babysit the little one while the parents took a helicopter flight over the island.  My daughter took my place, but it was tough because the baby was cranky and jet-lagged.

Most of my time was spent in the hotel room and out of the lovely pools.  I did finally get a negative result and could re-enter the family at the same time that the baby got sick.  Perhaps with COVID, but we will never know as it was a 48-hour fever and then she was back to normal.  


We stayed in only the nicest places because it was a once-in-a-lifetime celebration.  Too bad I was hotel bound mostly.



In the middle of the trip when we took our vows on the beach and went out to a fancy dinner we were all well.  The vows were beautiful but the dinner was served 45 minutes late!  Another hiccup.

One of the evenings my crazy daughter thought we should visit the Food Truck park in Maui where dozens of vendors provide all kinds of food.  The food was delicious and varied, BUT as in ALL of the Hawaiian islands these days near tourist places, non-indigenous and very aggressive birds hang out to steal anything you may drop.  The picnic tables were covered in bird poop...COVERED!  I was the only one that seemed to be bothered.  Even at the fancy resort on Maui a nasty Myna attacked my infant granddaughter to eat some rice she had in her hand during our outdoor breakfast.  If you do not believe me about these invasives, go here!  Mynas do carry salmonella and bird flu.



Well, I must wind this down and perhaps will post some of the best parts of the trip in the future.  Yes, there are always good parts and we must focus on that.

13 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lovely trip. You make the logistics of travelling with so many people sound easy with your family. It must have been interesting to see all the old haunts again. You need a rest now I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary Vow Renewal!
    Despite the hiccups, your trip sounds like one to remember.
    Venting when things go awry, I believe, is good for our health, as long as it isn't loud and/or includes an ugly rage display.
    I think the lottery and logistics are closely related.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the Covid, but it seems as though you were happy with the overall vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. venting is good, it lets you get it out of your system and move on but it's no use raging against things you can't control. just makes yourself feel bad. sounds like a disaster from beginning to end but hopefully there were enough enjoyable parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this I have decided I am too old to travel, at least with a crowd. I like doing my own planning and not having to coordinate with others.
    Yes, I hope there are good parts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear it sounded like such a romantic anniversary but turned out a little disappointing. Poor thing catching Covid too. Hopefully there will be some good memories. Air travel these days sounds a disaster whereever you are. We have loads of cancellations due to staff shortages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll whisper this..."You must have been happy to get back home again!" :)

    All the good parts will eventually erase the others...and I look forward to hearing about them. I'll travel in your shoes...your words, and stay home. :)

    Take good care...I hope you've feel well again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:50 PM

    Sorry you got Covid again but glad it seemed a minor bout. Family trips are always a mix and glad you had good things too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh MY GOSH! I'm so sorry! However... I know where you're coming from. I wasn't excited about having our trip to Tokyo so soon after our cruise. However, it couldn't be helped because we had to time it to the kid's schedule and friends were already pretty much committing us to that April cruise. Anyway... yes... the jet lag both ways was awful for me too... plus I was still suffering from vertigo which I got a few days earlier. And then my mom falls just before we were to leave and had to go to the ER. And then the kids kind of like to plan as you go which stresses me out. STILL... it was wonderful to see my son and family after 3 years apart due to COVID and their move overseas. BUT yes, Ala Moana is definitely now for tourists... rich tourists. We almost never go there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You remind me that having decided to stop traveling is a good idea. Sorry you got covid, what a bummer in the middle of a vacation like that. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome home! I'm sorry you were not well on what should have been a most wonderful trip. Yes, traveling with a big family can be a hassle, We took a couple of family trips with 15 people, although none were infants at the time. It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great trip - despite the covid and a sick baby. I loved Hawaii; been there twice. I'd love to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you were staying in a nice place when Covid chose you. What a bummer! Your time at the airport sounds like a nightmare I'd rather avoid. Nice that you got to visit some of your old haunts. I look forward to hearing about the good bits of your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.