Tuesday, June 20, 2023

ALOOOOHA! and Murder


While I am trying to review our schedule for the upcoming Hawaii trip...first three days on Oahu, then four days on Kauai, and finally 6 days on Maui... I am trying to not fret because my daughter and my son have scheduled so much to do!  I am trying not to fret since it is a busy tourist season at airports.  I am trying not to fret as my elder mind and hubby's dementia make this a bit stressful.  This trip is a renewal of marriage vows, a celebration of my son-in-law's birthday, and a celebration of my son and his wife's anniversary.  The children, including the 14-month-old, are going!  It is a horrendously long flight.  We are leaving 4 days early, before the rest of the family, in order to adjust to the big time change.  So we are not able to fly with the two families as well as my daughter's mother-in-law and to assist with the little babe who is learning to walk!

I realized last week, that while hubby and I have been to and through the Hawaiian Isles many times and once even took a trip with my son and his wife before their new baby, the other side (my daughter's family) has not ever been there.  This will be a special trip for them...much more so than us.




I hate tourists and crowds and all and will try to be nice at the luau and the boat trip.  I hate artificially manufactured fun.  But I also realize this will be a good opportunity for candid photos on my part. (My dream of a vacation these days is a cabin on a lake and a small stack of books and UBEReats and watching wild animals from a distance.)

I did schedule a photographer for the renewal ceremony, at some expense, because I am of the belief that photographs are priceless in this ever-changing and rapidly disappearing world.

I am vain enough that I have upgraded my exercise routine since I will be spending some time in a swimsuit which I have not done for years.  I actually ran 3.6 miles on the elliptical yesterday!  No, I do not think someone in their late 70s can look sexy in a swimsuit, but they can look and be healthy.

I also purchased the e-version of Louise Penny's 11th book in her Three Pines murder mystery series of 17 books.  Yes, I am hooked and will slowly buy the set!  Amazon Prime smashed a few of her books into a TV series months ago, and while the casting was great, they missed so much.  Louse Penny is a bit of a poet, historian, and psychologist, so all of that goes into her books and is not conveyed in a shortened version of the mysteries on the screen.  Anyway, if we ever take time to sit on a beach, I may be able to read my new download.


I have pre-written a post on my other blog for later publishing and may have time to also write one more...I will see.

In the meantime I will leave you with this Hawaiian proverb, "In the end...we will take care of only what we love; We will love only what we understand; We will understand only what we are taught.'

11 comments:

  1. Happy & Safe Travels!
    It sounds like you are well prepared.
    Women in their 70s can look sexy in a bathing suit (as MStewart at 81 illustrates).
    The Penny series, I'll add to my summer reading list.
    Your ideal vacation description reminds me of Vermont right away. Upstate New York also has lovely lake rentals as does New Hampshire and Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fabulous trip you have ahead of you! It does sound quite packed full, but as you point out, it should be a memory to cherish forever! I do hope to see some pictures, maybe even if you in a bathing suit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read all of Louise Penny's books and have enjoyed them all. I feel like I know the folks of Three Pines very well.
    The trip sounds wonderful, but I would have to forgo the bathing suit part. I do not enjoy sitting around on a beach either. Go for a walk and then find a comfortable place in the shade to read a book - that's me.
    Remember as you travel, almost no one enjoys the airport and the airplane part of traveling. Just greet fellow travelers with a smile and a kind word, and you will be happier too. Bon voyage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May we be taught love and care of others.

    I wish you Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a wonderful time as you introduce to your family a place you know well and renew your vows

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might envy you the destination, but I don't envy the getting there. We are Penny fans. It's too bad that they cancelled the tv series. Maybe if they had just made a honest effort to portray one of her books the way that she wrote it, it would have been better. Hmmm ... no maybe about it IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love travel and thought I would spend my retirement years being a tourist. I have changed my mind now although I treasure the memories (and pictures) of travels I did have. Enjoy the time with family but be mindful of getting rest.
    Also very much a Penny fan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Louise Penny’s books. I always look forward to the new ones and pick them up as soon as they are released!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a teen, I visited Oahu and the big island, Hawai'i, with my family. our trip in 2017 with the twin grandgirls was Maui and the big island. I loved Maui. but at this point your dream vacation sounds just that...dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it is a wonderful time. Perhaps you and hubbie can skip some of the activities and just enjoy the view and good air. I'm envious but not of the airports. May it all go well. Excited to see you photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:22 PM

    I'm sure your vacation couldn't be an anything but wonderful - being in a beautiful place with those nearest and dearest to you. Something that may be helpful for the travel part of your trip. My daughter's in-laws recently traveled to New Zealand from Canada and requested assistance from the airline to help with the husband who has dementia. The wife said it made a great difference having him pushed by airline staff in a wheelchair. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.