Sunday, June 11, 2023

Trauma and Resilience

In my last post, I wrote about my quick trip up to Chicago.  It was a good thing that both my husband and my daughter pushed me to go.  I have gotten more "hermitty" these years.  I do not think it is the result of the COVID crisis, but when we have PTSD reactions to traumatic events, we really may not realize both the reaction and the cause and may think it is just our brain providing good careful advice.  So, who knows?  I will possibly never know.  But it did reassure me that flights and hotel rooms can go smoothly and I will not be lost somewhere among skyscrapers.  Of course, I was with my well-traveled daughter who uses her phone like a gigantic file cabinet.



Regarding smoothness and trauma, I forgot to mention a discussion we had with our distant cousin in Chicago about EMDR.  This is a technique I had never heard about and you can read up on it in the grayed link above.  Anyway, as I wrote, our cousin is a young woman with her Doctorate in Nursing and takes on private clients to help them with drug addiction.  Yeah, no small thing!




She lives on a lovely tree-lined street just outside the city itself and in walking distance of the city businesses.  Her husband works at Northwestern University which is about a mile from their home.  It is a prime location.



Our cousin said she had used EMDR to help with a trauma that occurred months ago.  Their neighborhood had been without electricity for a day or so and she was in front of her house using her car to charge her cell phone.  (I did not ask, but she must have been pregnant then.)  Someone approached her, put a gun to her head, and stole her car leaving her stunned on the sidewalk.  

She managed to call the police but nothing came from that, except maybe interviewing her.  Doing research, she herself found her car and identified the man (actually a 16-year-old) that had carjacked her and threatened her life.  She reported that to the police, and either due to a tremendous backlog in life-threatening criminality there or Chicago's police bureaucracy, the 'man' was never arrested. ( I have great respect for our law-enforcement folks, but like our medical professionals and our public education professionals, they are overworked and in some cases underpaid.)  I mentioned to her that was awful and since he was young it would just embolden him until he gets killed.

Her response was, "He did get killed weeks later."

Anyway, she found that she could not get over the trauma as she had hoped  (no duh!).  She decided to use EMDR and said it really worked!  I will keep this in mind.  Our brain is a really amazing conglomeration of electricity!

Well, hopefully, my next post will be more uplifting on my other blog about Fred and Ethel as they now have a least one little one!  I have to work on that, after I read some blogs.


12 comments:

  1. I found this post very interesting, Tabor. First because I've mentioned to my husband before that I think the pandemic 'changed' me... now, even when I go out (and we do go out to restaurants or stores these days), I find myself just wanting to GET BACK HOME .
    Also, the information you posted about PTSD made me want to go back and read that article. I had an car accident about 3 years ago... not too bad - totaled my car, but no one was hurt. However, 2 things about it had me quit driving... one that I had 'looked' and DID NOT SEE the other car... and two, that I could have 'hurt' someone (and I could not live with that). Now even driving in the car with DH, I'm nervous as I can still 'feel' that unexpected impact and the release of those airbags that bruised my arms and chest. Seems such a small thing to be PTSD... when you think of what some go through, but still I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard of EMDR, that is good it helped your cousin, she was certainly traumatized. In broad daylight in a nice neighborhood, wow. I think both Covid drama (lock downs, masking, etc.) and aging have caused me to enjoy being at home more. I would be afraid to visit a big city in the USA and am glad I live in a small city. I used to be a fearless traveler, lived in Paris and Istanbul, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like the treatment has legs, as they say. That was quite an incident that she experienced. Poor boy. He didn't have a chance in this life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad story for all.
    I read some about EMDR.
    Confusing explanations from the few sources. There is a documentary about PTSD at a ranch for vets where they repeat there experiences to desensitize, smooth the roughness of the trauma. The results are good. EMDR sounds to me like a fancy version of that therapy approach.
    I tried that approach on my own, and have had good results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EMDR, BAD NEWS. I DO HOPE YOUR GETTING BETTER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fine now and again, but you can elaborate on why you think it does not work.

      Delete
  6. I cannot imagine a sixteen year old stealing a car and coming to such an end. So sad all round.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was interesting and the violence around us, mostly random, is hard emotionally-- whether we experience it or hear about it. I don't know if it's worse than ever or we just know more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you went to Chicago and it helped. EMDR sounds like it has a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have fortunately so far not had a deeply traumatic experience so as to need a treatment like EMDR, but it is good that different kinds of treatments for PTSD are being explored.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that things like EMDR are wonderful and helpful to trauma victims. And yes, so sad about that young boy, what if the police had followed up? He would probably still be alive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done you for getting out and about. I am the same. Since COVID I am reluctant to go on long journeys. Hopefully one day I pluck up the courage to fly to melbourne to see my family.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.