Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Pouring/Spilling Water

An early morning boat trip that I will write about on my other blog...soon

Yesterday we brought down the bird feeders. We had not been filling them for a couple of weeks, but it was time to wash them to remove any mold, fungus, or diseases so we could use them next fall.  A small percentage of my finches carry eye disease and I do not want to spread it to the other birds.  Birds rarely come to the feeders this time of year anyway because the bugs that are flying and crawling about are much higher nutrition and also the type of thing that is digestible to the baby fledglings.  

I have a deep sink in the laundry room and sprayed the feeders with a pet rug spray. (It really works wonders, something I bought when we fostered that dog.)  I then add a cap of bleach to the water in the sink and soak the feeders for an hour.  

I went on my merry way to do so many other chores that had been piling up but had to go back to the laundry room a while later to drop off some laundry.  I was dismayed to find that the faucet had not been turned off completely and water was sneaking over the counter and down onto the linoleum floor as well as behind the doubled stacked washer and dryer and then into the floor vent!  This was when I learned that my laundry room deep sink does NOT have an overflow drain!  It was just a small bit of water running, but that can add up in no time.

It took 30 minutes to mop up, move the heavy rug on the floor and wring out the rags I was using.  I had stopped the water from flowing across the floor from behind the washer to the floor vent, but next had to check the basement.

The water was dripping rapidly from ceiling tiles ( a dropped ceiling) and flooded the tiled floor to hubby's office and his boat gear room.  I had him help me carry out the dripping rug to the table on the patio and then went back to put a bucket under the main area where water was dripping and to mop and dry the rest of the floor with a portable fan.

At least 8 ceiling tiles in the basement are stained and will have to be replaced.  Since I avoid going on ladders, I will need to find a helper!

This was most annoying because earlier this week our heat pump in the attic had frozen coils which filled the aluminum pan beneath the unit and then dripped water out the corner of the trim to the attic stairway and onto the wooden floor and side of the oriental rug in the guest bedroom.  Hubby and I were in bed and the evening rain had started.  At first, I thought that was the sound of rain on the roof, but realized the rhythm was weird.  Fortunately, we caught that "spilled" water in a few minutes and turned off the heat pump as hubby sopped up the water from the drain pan with a sponge and I cleaned up the floor and put down a bucket.  (The repairman recommended replacing both AC/Heat units as they are 18-years-old!)

I know that pouring water is a ritual in many spiritual communities, but I had to look up "spilled" water.  It seems that in most cases it means a change to good fortune or good luck---don't we all need that! I am waiting... guess it happens after the fortune we have to pay for two new HVAC units.  

Since I keep spilling a small bit of water when filling my coffee maker in the same place, one article said it was a spirit that was trying to get my attention! 

Do you have any water issues that you confront?


15 comments:


  1. Sorry y'all have water issues. Maybe have the dock and boat safety check? Or careful around shallow water due to ALS connection in some areas.
    For me, laughter after an oh dear, depends on the size of the spill. Large spills are without laughter, and always iced with f-word variations. There is no over flow drain in my bathroom sink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am painting with my watercolor pens I always knock over one of the water cups. I must be having some good fortune soon. About filling your bird feeders...I am in a quandary because we just had a warning not to fill the bird feeders because it attracts bears and many black bears have been spotted in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our water is fine, but we are likely also looking at replacing furnace and AC (the other AC).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous photo. Everyone here in our condo complex has heat pumps for cooling and heating. Pricey to replace but the monthly utility costs are tiny. SE WA gets below freezing regularly in winter and last summer's high was 115F. So there's a big return on the investment but eek, it's a biggun. Two years ago we had a roof leak that wasn't discovered until it had ran down inside the building walls. That was a big of a mess, repairs, wallboard and paint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that story of spilled water bringing good luck or a change in fortune. I think I'll go spill some to get things started! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn’t know about spilled water being good luck. It’s been a while since we had any spilled water but the luck has been okay. You’ve had enough spilled water for now. A small amount of water can make quite a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had may share of spills, leaks, and overflows. Hard to think there was luck in any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I get older and clumsier, spilling happens more often Not lucky.
    Your major spilling sounds like a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We live in a bowl, also known as a swamp. There's water everywhere, and sometimes it has a hard time draining off. It's not something we like to talk about, but something we have to deal with regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no that sounds like a disaster. You poor thing. Hope you can get it all fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No water issues lately but our AC compressor has died and the guy said he didn't know how long it would take to replace or when he could get a replacement or if it was covered by the warranty that expires next month. I went out and bought a small window unit we set up in the living room. At least we have one cool room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sure hope you have some good luck coming your way after those mini disasters. It's amazing how much mess a little water can make, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! That is awful! I am so very sorry. I hope things start looking up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, oh my. You can paint the tiles. What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I would have sat in the middle of that water and cried.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.