Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Playing Tourist

How lucky I am to be able to play tourist in my own country. Yes, COVID Cousin waits to rear its ugly head down the road. Yes, inflation has cut dramatically into our budget. Yes, the war in Ukraine gets uglier and uglier as that awful dictator tries to bomb them back to the dark ages. But, I have to turn my face to the sun and pretend, for a while, that my life is going on somewhat regularly. 

The conference planners had expected 3,000 scientists, environmentalists, and policy planners from around the globe. They got 2200, which was still a pretty good number.  Most, but not all, wore masks, as required by the rules.  There was a PCR testing room off to the side and as I walked by I saw 3 people inside.  I think they were testers.  This conference in actuality was one of three regional member meetings that allowed easier travel for all of the scientists around the globe.  One meeting in San Diego, one a few months later in Mexico, and a final one a few months after that in Singapore.  Some scientists will go to all three.

Below is the bar/gathering area outside the conference registration building up in Mission Valley outside of San Diego.  It was early in the day.  Scientists can fill a bar when needed.

I went to the conference two of the days.  Hubby's talk did not go as smoothly as he hoped because the slides were out of order and some were missing.  He was not embarrassed but went on with his talking anyway.  I had asked him several times to go through it with me, but he was tinkering with it until the very last minute.  He did get an opportunity to meet all of his old friends and also made some plans with Nature Conservancy contacts for work on a project.  So all in all it was worthwhile.



The other days I played tourist.  San Diego has a special city park called Balboa Park.  It began in 1868 as a city park on a high mesa overlooking San Diego.  It has got to be the best location of any city park!  Over 17 museums and historic venues to see.  Naturally one of my afternoons there I saw just a tiny bit. (I must come back.) When we had visited years ago with Mage and George we got a private tour of the car museum, which is the best way to get a tour!

I am not the best map reader and had trouble finding the Japanese Friendship Garden along with a few other tourists that I followed!  (The Botanical Gardens were closed, sadly.)  The Friendship Garden held new meaning for me in these times.



Then I toured the desert garden and missed the Rose Garden, sadly.

Finally, I visited the many art shops at the Spanish Village Art Center and did not buy anything because that time in my life has passed.  In fact, I went through my craft closet and gave some stuff to Mage that had been sitting there unused for some time!  Nothing like dumping your stuff on others!


Artists village.  Photo was taken before it opened mid-afternoon.

I also toured the Mingei International Museum which was filled with marvelous arts and crafts items from famous and non-famous and maybe infamous.  The museum had a half-dozen explorers other than me and arts and crafts are one of my favorite things to view.  I spent over an hour there as I had no one else to worry about!  I was so enthralled that I failed to take many photos.  Below the wall of Indonesian wax Tjaps which are copper designs that carry melted wax to resist the dyes when making batik fabric.  I have one or two which I use as trivets.


We did spend a small fortune on food, but since we have not eaten out in nice restaurants for almost three years, we felt justified.  We got to places early since we were on East Coast time and had our choice of tables.



 

Plenty of good seafood in the tourist areas of the city.  Seafood is always healthy, even if smothered in butter, right?




Needless to say, almost all is ala carte in the tourist areas which makes it so much more expensive.

Since I did a lot of walking I also ordered my share of desserts.  



On our get-together with two of my favorite bloggers, Hubby and George ordered some chocolate-cake concoction the size of a small cat, and Mage and I ordered a mutual favorite, creme brulee.  The creme brulee had fresh fruit on top and that has to count for something!  I will skip writing the narrative on the huge mistake I made in getting the meet-up location correct as that is almost a blog post by itself!  At least we finally met up!

I hope this showed that the world is moving on timidly.  Stay safe in your travels.



17 comments:

  1. Nice report, esp about the food. I like San Diego, but I love creme brulee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the travelogue. I particularly liked the careful mention of All The Walking which clearly justified dessert. I've never been to San Diego, but a friend of mine was a terrier, from the pound there. The only dog I ever knew who tracked planes across the sky. Her owner explained that the pound is next to the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the photos. The Friendship garden looks absolutely beautiful. I've never been to San Diego but I've heard it is a place that I should visit. I will definitely add it to my list. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to San Diego either, and I didn't know that Balboa Park had do many attractions! Of course I love the photos of the Japanese garden, and the desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto what LInda said: I love the Japanese garden, and the desserts look wonderful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for travel again. We have been to San Diego and loved it. How wonderful that you could see Mage and George! Dessert looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy travels make for happy blog readers. It is good you were engaged in being a tourist without camera brain. I think it enriches the travel experience. Glad your husband's talk went over the bumps well. Dessert looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a mostly good time was had by all, with a hiccup or two as always happens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos evoke such wonderful memories! My family moved to San Diego in 1951. I married and we stayed in San Diego until 2007, when we moved up here. Seeing photos of our previous home is so nice. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had a good trip with some exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good vacation especially after 3 years of hiding in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All in all, it must have been wonderful to experience again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did I tell you that you are great? Next time you come, I'll be here with museum passes in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you were able to go to San Diego, do all those activities and get together with Blogger Buddies. SD had always been a favorite locale we used to drive to from Ariz. when we lived there. Has been popular since we moved to SoCal though a bit north in L.A. area.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband and I spent lots of time in Balboa Park but didn't enjoy any sites but the VA Hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry!! Hopefully you will have time for a more detailed look in the future.

      Delete
  16. How wonderful that you had such a great time at the gardens and especially with Mage and George. I would have gone with you and Mage and gotten the creme brulee too... even though I love chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.