Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Moving through the Climates

The globe is indeed smaller.  Imagine our pioneer forefathers being able to go from mild late winter at our home to summer to mid-winter in just a few days.  They would be shell-shocked.  We left warm and sunny San Diego and arrived in Denver to meet up with family and were plunged into winter.  I love looking out the windows of the plane as we fly over our vast country, so much of which "seems" uninhabited.  







Something magical about being up so high above the earth and getting a bird's perspective on how small we all really are.

Denver had been getting plenty of snow on and off the week prior to our arrival.  It would melt and then another snowfall would arrive.  Below is the roof of my sister's neighbor's house the night we arrived and then the next day after a lovely gentle overnight snowfall.



The weather was cold but since it is a "dry" cold it is tolerable.  They loaned us scarves and coats, etc.  Below are brother and sister and in-laws at a Mexican restaurant get-together the next day.


Then we headed out to my youngest brother's house which he is building.  He has built two other houses for himself, but his wife wants this new much larger house it seems.  They have no children and are not big entertainers...so not sure why unless it is for investment.  They do own quite a bit of real estate.  They do the work mostly themselves, although as they have aged, they do contract out the heavy stuff!


It was lovely seeing them all.  I hope that my sister and my other brother come out for a visit soon now that COVID is on the wane.  My youngest brother has never visited me even though we are close.  They only like travel to Mexico in the winter for a break.


Above we are back at my sister's house trying to stay out of the way of two large dogs that were getting reacquainted.  You can see them wrestling in the back.  Can you tell which of the folks are related by body language?

Lastly, we flew home after three days and arrived late at night.  We did not stay at my daughter's but picked up the car and tried to make it through the city at 9:00 PM.  Below is what we encountered and what led us to a two-hour detour before we finally could unload and rest at home!

17 comments:

  1. What a chilling contrast from snowy roof tops to bumper to bumper traffic. The need for larger spaces is a mystery to me. I think maybe the beautiful photographs of such houses inspires folks to want that experience in their own environment.
    Ironic, smaller energy footprints during a craze for big open rooms.
    Glad y'all had a good time

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it was a good visit. I too wonder why anybody would need that much space if there are just two of them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share the wonder of flying over our vast and varied country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see dogs at the family gathering. My two girls and my daughter's three plus my grandson's two add great fun to every reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was quite the journey home. How wonderful to spend time with family though after what we hope was the worst of the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A pleasant trip and visit was had, spoiled only by the trip home from the airport! There is always a spoilsport!!! :)

    Take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. While i love the view from an airplane, i am afraid to fly. Figure that, i can't.

    Glad you had such a nice time and sorry about such an awful homecoming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful to see family like that. The first photo: you just missed our house, and I see mission bay and the Famosa Slough. The laast picture is a charmer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THEY ARE NOT INTO THOSE CUTE TINY HOMES THAT ONE SEES ONLINE. (Caps, sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great trip, all except that last detour . . . but a small price to pay to spend some time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had such a good trip. I sure don't want one right now but maybe someday again. We may have to head to the farm sometime in April. Definitely not looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you don't mind, but I used a photo you took on my today's blog without your permission. Mea culpa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you ARE kidding, right. Forgive me for not asking YOUR permission.

      Delete
  14. Ne here! Looks like a fun blog! You are brave souls for traveling in snow...
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, dry cold, ha ha ha. I've been in that dry cold. It's still cold. Same for the so called dry heat. It's still bloody hot. Fun set of pictures from the plane. And that much traffic still at 9 PM?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun to be out traveling again. We have it on our schedule too. Kinda nervous, but you're getting me excited.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.