Saturday, February 05, 2022

The Fog Has Rolled In


"I don’t look forward too far, as I would just be worried all the time." Taken from the blog Dementia,  the author Judith Clark is a professional writer, so her ability to be insightful, informative, funny, and interesting is expected and well done. 

My husband is in the process of being tested for memory problems.  The neurologist is vague and I am not even sure what all the tests are saying.  He reassures us that since hubby is starting as someone who has a PhD in the sciences, he is starting at the top of the scale.  (Having a lot more information to lose is a good thing?)

I do not want to think about the future on this path because it is not pleasant nor changeable. If I was religious I would pray and ask God to find a cure for all of us on this journey. 

My husband's mother was living alone with this memory loss in her early 80's and came to live with us about 4 years later. We had to take her to a rest home a few years after that, but mostly due to a series of small strokes she had. Her memory had diminished greatly by then, so the evidence of the strokes was mostly shown in her instability when trying to get around. If I looked forward and see that this is where I would see my husband, who is now full of life and enthusiasm, it can be greatly discouraging.  He has been forgetful about small things all of his life and I just tolerated that.  Now we will discuss something in the morning and he will ask me again in the afternoon about it.  He will ask about things that worry his mind again and again.

I am not patient!!  I do need to work on that.  I need to meditate and read more on how to improve one's emotional state.  I have not developed the habit of following him around to see if he puts stuff away so that the new dog does not get into it.

Now we may add a new grandchild who will never see the grandfather that the others saw and played with.

My son and his wife have had problems with several pregnancies before this recent one which seems to be healthy. My daughter-in-law is in her 40's which is late for having a child. She also has some small heart valve problems. This child could be born with a number of complications, or not born at all. Why look forward? 

I will just live with this hope on a day-to-day basis that they have a wonderful life.  

We are ahead of the game as my husband does not and never has smoked or drank alcohol.  (I do get two bourbon and sodas or glasses of wine before dinner most nights, but do not crave more than that.)  He loves being active and getting out and about, far more than I do.  His general health is good as is his kindness, although he is very frustrated many days.

Well, we got the big car loaded with the crib a few days ago before that heavy rain followed today by super cold weather!  Taking it up this morning.

Our new dog which has been with us a week will have to be in a crate for the four hours we are gone.  She does not mind the crate and sleeps in it all night.  She cannot be trusted to have the run of the house yet!  We will be rushed to get back and take her on a long walk before we leave.

Every day is a new foggy challenge and I am not up to it...yet.



12 comments:

  1. This is a hard time for you all.

    I found in similar circumstances that rather than look forward, if I tried to enjoy just what I could, that worked better.

    Also to put in place the legal documents, such as durable power of attorney, wills, while he still can. We did this and it was a relief to him as well as me.

    Disregard my well meaning words if they're not useful. But do accept my concern and warm thoughts for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your husband's beginning memory problems. Our science can keep the body going after our minds begin to fail. I don't know if that's good or bad.

    I've never tried to make plans past a few days into the future because they invariably need to change, even plans zI might have had for the next day. Good thing I'm flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping that all will be well for a good long time to come. Everything changes, and it doesn't always have to be for the worse. Sending you both my wishes for happy news from the doctor. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine how difficult this time must be for you and of course your husband. Dementia/Alzheimer's is a frightening diagnosis. My mom had Alzheimer's... but wasn't diagnosed until in her early 90's - but it explained a lot. Mom's sister and my dad's sister had it also - so the possibility does worry me, but as you said - one tries not to think so far ahead. What will be will be... and we will handle it when necessary (at least that is the plan). Sending you both my prayers and good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping for the best with the tests, Tabor. I can only imagine how you feel. Take care of yourself too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be kind to yourself. Forgive yourself when you are impatient and then ask for forgiveness. Making others feel better will help you to feel better. You have real life challenges ahead of you. You will do well to take it one step and a time. Celebrate all of the smalll victories, especially when they are your internal ones.
    Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On your journey, blog friends are here caring for you both, praying, hoping, being. Please, hold dear in your heart no matter how lone you might feel, you are not alone. There are groups and resources to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping for good results from the tests. I just bought a new copy of "The Miracle of Mindfullness" by Thich Nhat Hanh. It's not religious, neither am I, but is very much about calming your mind. Some of it is as simple as using washing the dishes as a meditation. Some recent family stuff got me to order a new copy of it. One of my sisters has mild dementia and will tellrecently begun to tell me the same story 2-3 times in a phone call. I'm learning new patience with her. She is still living alone although her son is just 3 blocks away. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grrr. It is so nice to sit in my chair and read and comment on my iPad, but my comments weren't going though earlier. I do hope that if you are going down that dreaded dementia road that it is a long and winding one. And all the best on the pregnancy too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No wise words, just a virtual hug and lots of concern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing to say, Dementia and Alzheimer's already said.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.