Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Not Back to Normal

Normalcy, if I ever could lay claim to such, has flown out the window. I gave in and agreed to my husband's desire to foster the dog from the shelter but did make him wait a week while we prepared the house with gates, spaces, etc., and bought a bunch of pet stuff!  This is a bit long so you have to bear with me.

I should have been more careful because my husband's dementia means that I am totally responsible for feeding and watching the dog when she is inside.  She has had a few peeing accidents and we are trying to get her to use the bell hanging from the door, as well as take her out several times morning and afternoon and before bed.  I also can remember the amount of feed as well as the medicine regime. Hubby is very good at walking and exercising the dog. We have had her for 11 days.  She is not a chewer, probably because she is 3 years old.  She is crazy for food.  She has Lymes and heartworm and is on medicines for that and if I put them in a "pill pocket" she will gulp them down in a second.  (Actually she will do almost anything for food.)

The first night we put her in a kennel in our bedroom, but her scratching and chewing kept us awake.  I moved the kennel to the living room, got an itching spray, bathed her with a shampoo and conditioner that was supposed to reduce dryness and itching, and also applied cream to a few areas.  Below she sits nicely in her kennel while drying in the sun. 


About the fourth night, she woke us up around midnight with a deep and frightening growl followed by the baying that only Hounds can do.  We later learned that our neighbor across the ravine was getting raccoons out of his garage.  We never would have heard any of that.

It is like having a new baby in the house.  I had to call the shelter (since we are fostering we have to use their vet referral) when I noticed two areas of serious sores.  One under her neck and one on her backside.  I put a cream there before she walks so that she would not lick it off.  They thought it might be the kibble they gave us which was something new to her.  She also was crabby when I tried to get her to stop chewing and only offering a rawhide chew worked.

They asked us to bring her up.  When they saw the issue they made an appointment with their vet for late afternoon.  Since they are 30 minutes from our house and the vet hospital is another 15 minutes from them, this meant driving back home at noon and waiting for the appointment time, and then driving the 45 minutes back up at 4:00 PM.  Bonus, she does not mind riding in a car in the kennel!  The shelter also gave a bag of new kibble that has no corn or wheat and is mostly meat.  

The visit to the vet took almost two hours between waiting and diagnosis.  We now have her on steroids and then an additional monthly medication for possible mites.   She behaved well at the vet hospital and even let them stick stuff in her ears!  The vet gave us as well some spray for the sore areas AND an ear spray!  We are hoping it is not allergies as I understand that is harder to treat and determine.  If it is mites we have no clue where she got them as it is my understanding that the animal shelters are very sterile and we have no pets here.

It was a very long day and when we got back and after we fed her and then after we took her out for a 15-minute walk, we put her in the kennel and went for out for our dinner!!  I was exhausted, and I still have not attempted putting in the medicine for her ears that they wanted us to do!!

She will go back to the shelter before our trip at the end of February and probably forget what little training we have been able to give her.  At least this will give us a break to decide if we have the energy for this.  If she did not have the skin problem, we could certainly work with her.  Hubby has fallen in love, of course!

18 comments:

  1. Skin ailments are so hard to manage. She does look sweet, though. Let's hope the change of food helps. You're very good to be taking her on at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She loves you both already. I agree with Liz, she looks sweet. Congratulations
    Prayers for her healing
    Shelters, the pet traffic makes it very difficult for them to be totally bug free all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry forgot to ask her name

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sounds like a lot of work but she has wiggled her way into your hearts already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fostering sounds like a good way to figure out whether or not one has the time and energy for a dog. Everyone says the rewards are far greater than the effort. I am not convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because of that baying, I would never have a hound, but she does indeed look very sweet. Hope she gets over that infection or whatever it is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She looks like a little Beagle queen. Good luck with all the meds; hopefully it'll settle down soon. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is why I am a cat person. I get why people love dogs, but they require much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shelters try, but the ones i've seen are far from sterile. As much as they fight it, things like mites, fleas, ringworm, upper respiratory infections and more can pass through a crowded animal shelter and wreak havoc.

    My hope is you are able to get these itchy spots she has under control soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are to be commended for taking on this needy but sweet looking little dog. I hope all turns out well for you, your husband, and the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They break your heart, demand as much attention as children but......... do get you out exercising and love you to bits. It's a responsibility and she is a pretty little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you've taken on quite a bit. Don't think I'd be up to taking on a dog with so many issues. Even one with no medical problems like you describe she has could be challenging enough helping to adjust to a new home and family. Wishing only the best for you, husband and the dog whatever you decide about keeping this dog. My son recently had to return a dog they had thought they'd adopt so know it isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is soooo cute. It'd be easy to fall in love. Beginnings with any pet are the toughest parts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does your lovely little girl have a name? You have my admiration taking on a dog with health issues, I know how much work they can be. I'm currently grandson, dog and cat sitting and I feel so sad that the dog seems to be fretting a little. They really do bond so closely with their owners.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I rarely comment, but I so admire you for doing this for your husband. I know he'd appreciate it, if he could. You are one of the goodun's, dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done for going down this path. It sounds like a lot of work but good for your hubby. She is a cutie. Hope she improves .

    ReplyDelete
  17. She's a good looking dog. Too bad the poor thing has so many issues. I'm sure she's happy to be with you rather than the shelter and will be a good companion once you get through the adjustment stage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tabor, once she settles in and her medical issues have been addressed, you will find your hound is the sweetest of companions. I do not know what I would have done without Beau after Irv passed way. What is your girl's name? She has a sweet face. Having Lyme and heartworm must be difficult for her.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.