Monday, February 14, 2022

Boring Stuff About a Dog---Not Your Dog

Where was my brain when I agreed to take in this dog? I am sure I am losing weight as I rarely can sit for any length of time.  Always checking on where she is and what she is up to.  I do kennel her 3 hours in the middle of the day as I really need some downtime...or a nap!  When I leave the kennel door open, she goes in on her own sometimes to nap.  We have always had puppies and that seems so much easier?  (The red plaid blanket and bed were given to us by the shelter.  I have two sleeping cushions above the kennel to rotate when washing stuff.  She never plays with the expensive dogs' toys we bought!)



Yes, she is growing on me, but she is exhausting in terms of making sure we get her to pee outside. She is on steroids and thus drinking lots of water and having to pee lots.  She manages to go 90% outside, but it is that 10% that means rugs have to be cleaned and deodorized.  I have read her a few times and realize she just HAS to pee and does not hurry to the front door but squats nearby. We are trying the bell method, and rolling up the throw rugs.

She is basically pretty manageable. We can let her out without her leash in the early cold morning and she will pee and then come trotting back. Usually, I go with her out of habit. 

After meals, she will pace the house looking for kibble and knows everywhere that I have it stored in containers for behavior modification...such as the laundry room where we have a dog shower.  She has gotten two baths and not been too upset by them; I think she likes the warm water.  Due to her skin itching, we are trying a non itch shampoo for dogs. Thus far she has not tried to take stuff off of the counters, but I am sure if we were gone she would be into everything in no time.  She gets fed before our dinner and does not beg when we sit down to eat, although she does stand or sit nearby.

She is very loving and insists on sleeping with her head on my lap in the early afternoon. The rest of the time she sleeps on the covered sofa or in her kennel. 



Hubby has trained her to heel when walking most of the time.  She does not feel a need to eat every stick or dead frog along the walk!  She will come back and sit, but mostly for kibble.  Although we try to alternate with lots of loving and no kibble.  She does not bark when the neighborhood German shepherds do their morning barking.  I have heard her bay only once, so that is not an issue.


She learned the sit command in a few days but not the stay command if there is food coming up.  She did a soft snap at me once when I was trying to get her up in the evening to go to her kennel.  I had not touched her but was moving in toward her.  She was scolded severely (no hitting - just me in an angry voice) and I am guessing she was used to being on her own when sleeping or people had been mean to her after waking?  She clearly was feeling bad about it.  She also barked at hubby when he came to the sofa and bent to hold my head in his hands and kiss me and then try to do the similar to her.  

All other times she has been very gentle and obedient.  I will ask when we return her to the kennel if this might mean she would not be safe around a small child...although they probably cannot get me a definitive answer.

I have read mixed reviews on personality changes in a female dog after spaying and that is what they will do before we can officially adopt her.


15 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a new focus in your lives and a lot of work. Dogs can really dig their way into our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks like a real sweetheart. I love that picture of her sleeping on the couch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh she is a beautiful doggy and you are truly dedicated to helping her adjust. Shelter dogs are the best and you wish you could ask them about their lives before. I know she is loving the life with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are doing a wonderful job of caring for her. I hope you do keep her.
    Early morning sometimes creatures might be still out. I think if she saw one, she'd chase it for sure if not on a leash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dogs want to please. She sounds like a good girl. My little dog doesn't like to be disturbed when she is deep asleep at night and will growl a little if you try to move her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you really have your hands full! Well your new dog seems to be learning the house rules and will probably settle down soon. From what you've said you're doing an excellent job of addressing her issues. To make your life easier, you might try putting down a couple of the puppy pee pads close to the door with the bell. They saved me lots of clean up when my old male (neutered) cat started retaliating by peeing on the back door when ever a neighborhood tom cat lingered around our back yard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dogs can be too much of a trial, but I understand that they are mostly trainable and that there are rewards once they are trained.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm guessing that she's been grabbed by young children when sleeping. Hard to know her history. I wouldn't place her with anyone under five, just my guess. I adopted a dog who'd nipped a toddler who grabbed him up out of a sound sleep. He never warmed to children.

    Hard work as she is, I think she's giving your husband a nice focus away from his health, probably a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a project on your hands, for sure. I am hoping it will be a good thing for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dogs are precious and a lot of work, just like children. It's a good idea to be sure before deciding, and once you put your hand to that plow, make a commitment to never, ever look back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dogs do have a way of worming into your heart, don't they? I shouldn't admit it but I'm back home and missing my daughter's little dog more than I'm missing the family. He was such wonderful company when my daughter was in hospital. Your little dog looks adorable but I think it's good that you are thinking with your head as well as your heart. All the best for your future together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope she settles in well soon...with your love and guidance, I am sure she will. She looks like a lovely girl! :)

    Take good care, Tabor...your new little mate is a lucky little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always had pets in my life, sometimes dogs but currently cats. I can't imagine life without them. Seems like she's doing well in a short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A new world as you all adjust but it will probably keep your husband's mind off other things. Incontinent dogs can wear nappies round the house ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad she is responding in many ways to your training efforts. Sounds like a number of issues yet to address and I hope you're able to resolve those soon, too.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.