Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Days Getting Longer, Covid Getting Weaker

Do I dare pull my head from out of the covers?   Winter is still here ( and actually as a climate change worrier, I am really glad we have freezing weather.)  There is no snow, but we may get some this weekend.  Great timing, because we are getting ready to take the baby crib from storage in our basement and drive it up to my son and DIL's house in the city this weekend.  They have a tiny room off of their two bedrooms, which may work as a nursery.  Now I prepare for more head colds in my life.   AND keeping germs away for my new grandchild visits.


Luckily my DIL's Father is wonderful at odd jobs, such as putting together a crib---he built the deck on his house!  Luckily my daughter is wonderful at details, as she packed all the hardware into a large paper bag when she moved the crib to my house for storage.  My son's in-laws will be visiting for the weekend and we will just stay for lunch and try to avoid the weather on the way back.

Oddly my fear level has dropped regarding COVID. I may no longer die! I might just get really really sick for a week.  Boy, have I lowered my concerns.  I remember those days, although I must admit I have not had even a cold for years!  When my grandchildren were young, I would get cold after 50% of the visits. 

We also are preparing for a trip to San Diego at the end of the month.  This will be a grand last call for hubby.  He is losing his memory ever so slowly and giving a speech to an international crowd has him elated and nervous.  I told him to type out the whole speech, but we will see!  We will stop and visit my relatives in Colorado, whom I do not see nearly enough, on the way back! My brother, who is a few years younger, has also been diagnosed with encroaching dementia.  My brother is an extremely quiet man, so we would never have known until his car accident.  We are slowly working on accepting these issuese, and maybe in the future when I feel stronger of character, I can share.

Now, since we really are not so busy (!) we have also decided to foster a foxhound mix from the local shelter with a plan to perhaps adopt permanently.  This dog has several health issues which are being treated and she also is 3 years old.  We have had only puppies so actually training a full-grown adult to live in our house will be a challenge.  She will return to the shelter when we head to San Diego and by then we will decide whether to take her back on a permanent basis.  My husband is already in love!


We are already attempting to make our home (which used to seem so much larger) more accomodating for a dog!  Everything I read about aging says to take on challenges...but I think they are supposed to be small challenges and also spread out over our limited years remaining.

Please wish us luck and I am open to any advice on any of these challenges ahead.  The snow has melted from the bench, but the cushions are still wet, so please bring snow pants when you sit down to chat.


17 comments:

  1. All set with my snow pants on. Congratulations on the upcoming grandchild, and possible new dog. I suspect if it all goes as planned, you'll have another family member soon (the dog). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're considering your options. Nice to be able to take some trips. I've heard of Bring Your Own Bottle, but the weather calls for Bring Your Own Pants! Cute! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelter dogs are so grateful for a home and i think you will be grateful for the company. When Minnie showed up in our yard almost 7 years ago the last thing I thought I needed was a high energy dog at my age (65 at the time) but she was exactly what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an exciting time waiting for a baby! The colds are worth it.

    I wish I had the same attitude about Covid. We got our booster shots today but continue to live in fear of catching Covid. I wouldn’t have the courage to travel. I hope you have a great visit with family though and the speech works out well for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also less concerned now atout getting Covid, but I have to be extra cautious right now until I have my aortic valve replacement next week and then recovery time.
    I new baby in the family is a wonderful blessing. A new dog might be. Your other challenges will be much harder. Remember to be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats ion the Greatchild and the dog, love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the grandchild

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dealing with dementia has so many facets to it, i pray you have a wonderful trip and your husband does well.

    Puppies would be too much for me, if i were to get a dog, i believe i'd want an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your new dog. I have a sister with dementia. It's hard, some days she's like she used to be and some days she is confused and keeps repeating herself. Whether she can continue living alone is the next big hurdle. Prayers for you and your hubbie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers for good health and safe travels. Y'all have a full schedule, and a dog! Sitting on the floor to spend quiet petting time with a dog has felt like it comforted us both. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter texted this morning that the sunrise made icy trees look great. But it’s still below 0 in your measurement, and I am still in my PJs,and I shiall remain for awhile longer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really tough on the dementia. Enjoy life while we can has to be the rule as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've thought about getting another dog -- those challenges! -- but we also like to travel and don't have anyone to take care of it while we're gone. Good luck with the grandkids, and the trip to San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are brave taking on those challenges and travelling. Good to hear you are getting used to covid life. We have yet to take that step At the moment we are at the peak of the Omicron wave.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such nice coincidences in this post--my husband and I moved from San Diego to Tehachapi 14 years ago. We still have family there in San Diego, AND we have family in Colorado! I don't know that I'm any more less concerned about COVID infections. Our daughter-in-law and her granddaughters all have COVID. They visited a coworker friend the other day and said coworker is now hospitalized with COVID. Our son got vaccinated, thankfully, and he says his wife will get her vaccinations after she recovers. A sad coincidence is the dementia -- my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's related dementia 7 years ago. Such a horrible disease... blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You don't need luck, Tabor...you have fortitude...you are positive...and I'm positive you all are going to be just fine and dandy!

    Take good care...stay warm...and add some vitamin supplements to your daily intake of fresh fruits and vegetables! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well happy news about a new grandchild and maybe a dog in the household. Think of all the walking you could do. As for dementia it is the scourge of this century, we are given more life to live but it is coming with a price.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.