Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Today and Long Ago Yesterday

Today is my birthday and I have made it to 3/4 of a century. I certainly never thought about that, although I hoped to live a long and healthy life. My cough has been suppressed with the medicine and I have been sleeping like a baby for months! 

While the new variant of COVID has us a bit concerned we are taking all the precautions and going forward a month after our last booster using masks and sanitizers. We are eating out and taking that chance, but it has been such a long pandemic season. We headed up to Lancaster, PA last week to shop for a canoe as a Christmas/Birthday gift for our son. He has been trying to save up for one and both families decided to help him out. The canoe inventory in our area, including several nearby cities, was very sparse. The largest inventory we found was way up in a tiny community in Lancaster. We were surprised at how hard it was to pick a size, model, brand, etc. once we got there.  But we got him a nice canoe, did some Christmas gift buying in the Amish market and stores, and ate at a fancy restaurant owned by a former White House Chef who served under both Bushes and Clinton. The food was very good, if not the exotic or excellence I was expecting. The restaurant was designed like an Inn and that coziness along with the Christmas decorations and some wonderful holiday cocktails made it something we had not had the chance to experience since we are out in the rural area of our state. 

This area has lots of churches of various denominations with some historic cemeteries. This one below has some connections to William Penn, a member of the Quakers who emigrated from England and was the founder of the province (now a state) of Pennsylvania. Penn first called the area "New Wales", then "Sylvania" (Latin for "forests" or "woods"), which King Charles II changed to "Pennsylvania" in honor of the elder Penn.
This area is also the heart of an Amish religious sect. The Amish had split from the Swiss and Alsatian Mennonite Anabaptists in 1693 in Switzerland. They are very conservative and avoid modern technologies as much as possible. My husband has been involved in business with our Amish down here and the man is very difficult to reach as he has no phone and has to walk a mile to another farm to use theirs...which seems to me odd. Either use technology or not. They do not like to have their photos taken and this one was a snap from our car as we drove down the road.  They go about by carriage.
There are vast farms with little on no electricity.  We found a number of great places to get ice cream made from their dairy farms.  They still grow tobacco for their personal use and hang it to dry in tobacco barns like they did hundreds of years ago.  Yet I saw some pretty fancy and expensive farm equipment being driven by Amish farmers.



The only bakery we have where I live here is that found in the large supermarkets. They are good but not outstanding like the European bakeries.  We enjoyed window shopping at the local bakeries.  Below is an Amish bakery and we did buy just a half dozen pastries, although everything was so tempting.
The brief vacation was a nice respite from our hungered-down lifestyle.  It was just a bit disconcerting to see how many fractious factions of Christianity evolved over time, especially of note during the holy day season. It reminded me once again that Jesus was not a Christian.

16 comments:

  1. I live not too far from Lancaster and Amish country, so I've been there a number of times. I find it awkward not treating the Amish as s tourist attraction. Hard not to stare at horse drawn carriage trotting in the roads. But there are a lot of Mennonites there too, with more relaxed approaches to technology on the farm. Outsiders probably don't know who's who.
    The food in the region, simple, local, is wonderful. Have you been to Ephrata Cloister, another interesting religion adjacent place. They do offer talks and tours, so I didn't feel so intrusive there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I posted before I wished you: happy birthday, and many more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!
    Your lovely adventure sounds magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your day with us. Yes, happy birthday to you. Do you read the Amish mysteries by Linda Castillo? She writes well. So do you. Glad you found a canoe. He will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mysteries and have not read her. Was that movie Witness made from one of her books?

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday! Hope it’s a great day. Your excursion to Lancaster sounds like a great escape for a few hours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely small escape! We go shopping at the Amish towns in Ohio a lot. I also love Lancaster but do not get there often. Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you many happy returns of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read some of the mysteries that Mage wrote about, but I did tire of them and didn't finish the last one that I began. I did read at least two, however, if not three.

    I agree about the phones. If you're going to use them, I can't see that it matters where you use them. But religion is strange, and you are right about Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday. It was an interesting trip that you took. I'm glad you had a nice meal out for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! I do hope it's a good one, and thank you for the tour of the area and the scrumptious pictures. I want one of those cakes... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday. Another friend hit the ¾ century mark on the 20th. Sounds like you had a nice outing. Sometimes I think humans started their march to doom with the industrial revolution and so I think the Amish have a point...to a point. But like all religious communities, they are very restrictive and controlling from shunning technology down to the clothes you wear and hair styles. And it's curious where they draw the line, what they consider acceptable and what they shun. Right now Texas is experiencing overt control from the state government from restricting abortion to banning books. The thought police are coming out in force. No satisfied with just banning books in school libraries, now they are targeting some public libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday. Sounds like you had a great day finding the canoe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And Merry Christmas Eve to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry I missed your birthday. It's been crazy over here. I just wanted to be on time to wish you a very happy and safe Christmas. I'm so glad you are recovering well and didn't have COVID. It's great that you got to go out and enjoy some sights. It's scary here in Hawaii. The infection rate has exploded! It went from 150 on December 13th to 1,828 today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A belated Happy Birthday wish to you, young thing! Hope your Christmas day special. We had lots of Amish in Ohio when I lived there, also Mennonites I though were a break-off group from the Amish, but after Googling them seems they are not,

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.