Wednesday, November 24, 2021

I Have Not Dropped a Ball, Yet

It is a very quiet morning at my daughter's house the day before TG. Daughter and husband are overseas enjoying beaches and pools and sun. The three grands are sleeping in, enjoying the fact that they have no school today. We got each of them set the last two mornings to their three different schools with three different times, each 30 minutes apart!  The dog was picked up last night by the dog sitter to be watched while we leave for my son's house today and the other set of grandparents arrive to take the TG shift. I think that they will spend one night here, so I will get the guest room sheets changed, once hubby is up and about. Then they drive them up to cousins' for TG and somehow or other they get back to the parents that fly in on Sunday. I am glad I do not have to worry about that airport connection. 

When they left last weekend, my daughter forgot her phone and hubby had to rushed out to the airport before their flight! Fortunately, they were there 2 hours early and the phone drop off went smoothly. 

We did some dog walking over the week and an actual trip to a Mall for lunch and that has exhausted us a bit also with all the scheduling to follow. Now that school is out and the dog is gone, this morning is pretty peaceful. We did miss the little dog sleeping at our feet last night. He totally adopts me when I come to visit and follows me everywhere. 

We also took in a Smithsonian exhibit yesterday while the grands were in school and I will post on that interesting activity in another post when we get home on Friday. We are staying Friday morning to greet my daugther-in-law's parents and then changing the sheets once again in this other guest bedroom so that they can have the weekend (birthday for DIL) at her house. Both of these houses have only one 'small' guest bedroom, so it does require shuffling.

My daughter has a Nespresso machine and I had my coffee from that two mornings. I do not really like all the foam and glad I could try it here, because my single coffee maker is broken and needs to be replaced and I might have shelled out the money for that expensive unit and then been so disappointed. The foam is supposed to enhance the taste but it was too cloying for me. I will continue to see what machine I might like when I go home. My daughter-in-law has ordered the pre-cooked TG dinner from the store and thus we both should feel free to just put on calories...definitely going to exercise when I get back home (she writes with the best of intentions). I have found the week exhausting, emotional, and wonderful. I was able to really get to observe the grands in their environment instead of always running out the door. 

My SIL and daughter have done a very good job of raising smart, polite and easy-going children. They get along wonderfully and no temper tantrums even those the eldest was taking the "fake" SAT via computer while we were here. I will sort the few photos I have taken when I get home and maybe post on some other things. This laptop is a bear to type on!!  Looking forward to being at my desk with my computer again. Have a wonderful rest of the week, whether you celebrate eating bountiful food or not. Stay away from the news...it must get better soon.

12 comments:

  1. It sounds totally exhausting, but also just what one expects with lots of family getting together. Thanks for the interesting post! Happy Thanksgiving, too. We are also ordering our TG dinner from a local store so we don't have to do anything but enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it's you and not me but you have it all in hand and time with family is always good. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the grandkids were in school my daughter and SIL would drop all four on us every three day holiday weekend. I loved having the kids and they were mostly well behaved though sometimes there was drama but I was always glad when the parents came and got them. It was exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandparent duties are not always easy but are usually rewarding. I was happy to see that "wonderful" along with the harder words in your description. "Wonderful" is very good.
    Happy Thanksgiving. Take joy in the fact that you have been giving to others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy with family. No better way to spend thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much going on, i hope you all have a blessed and beautiful Happy Thanksgiving and a smooth rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been quite awhile since we sat the grands for a week while the parental units went cruising. It went pretty well. We were close to home if we needed to get something, and we were just in the one house otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! I spend half a day with one g-grandchild and am exhausted, but a happy exhausted. And the rest after she is gone is always the best. Hope you find a coffee machine you like

    ReplyDelete
  9. Granddaughter and George are off to Comic Con tomorrow morning very early. I enjoyed sitting in my chair and just watching all day. The food was good, and the whipped cream was better than.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whipped Cream is an essential food over the holidays.

      Delete
  10. How wonderful that you had a special time with the grandkids. But wow! What a schedule! I hope you had a peaceful, happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.