Friday, November 19, 2021

Did You Like College?

I keep forgetting about what is really going on in the world. Our lives are spent mostly close to home, although we will be taking our first airplane flight in a long time at the end of this coming February. 

This past weekend we spent a 5-hour drive north to Rochester Institute of Technology. I am not enrolling in graduate school, but that is not because I would not want to.  As much as I was intimidated by college, coming from a poor family in a small farming community, I still loved all the information that was revealed in my struggle to get my Bachelor's in education at the state college.


Grandson #1 will be applying to colleges next year.  He comes from a wealthy family (the ones who will be taxed in Biden's new bill) and he has a tutor already to help him with SATs!  I love this child and want him to have every opportunity, but I also am sad for those poorer children with talent and passion who do not have access to such tools. He is looking into IT work on gaming.  I keep trying to pressure him to look at gaming that would help in the health care industry or the education industry rather than the kind that just makes money.  I try.

It was a five-hour drive, and overnight in a hotel, and due to COVID we were not able to take the student tour.  Only one parent in the labs, library, classes, etc.  The daughter sent us videos of their tours while we toured outside the campus.  It was cold and a bit rainy and even sleeting by mid-day.




The campus has some nice wooded trails.  It is fairly new...maybe 15-20 years old.  I found joy in being around the few young people on campus.  It was a Saturday, so most were hunkered down, but we saw a few joggers and walkers.



We ate lunch in downtown Rochester at some 'favorite" hot dog place that was wooden tables, metal chairs, and cheap food.  It was meh...but I am not a hotdog fan.

The trip was a stretch, but I am glad we went along.  My days to enjoy stuff like this are numbered.  

We are packing today to head up to our schedule of supervising the Grands while they are in school and then turning them over Wednesday to the other set of Grandparents who will drive them up North for Thanksgiving.  My daughter printed out three pages of the schedule...who has to be where...what there is to eat...when the dog is being picked up by the sitter...etc.

I am revving my engines.


16 comments:

  1. Fun but tiring looking after the grands for sure. How wonderful to be included in the campus visit with your grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schedule? I'm afraid I would blow it off no matter how much I loved that daughter. Great pictures. Cold and wet indeed. Is he applying to MIT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some prejudice on our family's part about the egocentric culture of that campus. Just some bad dealings in the past. It is a great school.

      Delete
  3. How lovely you could go along on the trip. Do you know his top choices? I loved college, especially when I was older and returned to finish my degree. It was one of the happiest times of my life.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful campus.
    Good luck with the schedule minding. Exert your right to make some changes that you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.
    Dragon Tiger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I did very much. I was poor too and went through on student loans. I worked for a year prior, which I think helped mature me and make me appreciate it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. College was fun simply because i love learning. In fact, if i could go back, i'd enjoy learning more.

    Good luck to your Grandson, i hope he gets into the college he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad y'all had that opportunity
    #1 might consider adding a science to his IT, like geology, for example.

    Working for a 4 year degree is the most important soul rewarding thing I have done in my entire life, aside from motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the campus tour, and I do hope it all works out for your grandson. Thanks for sharing the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved college. But I have to admit, it was different in 1964-68 when I got my B.S. College has changed a lot since then. We had lots of rules and regulations, but they kept us safe. These days I worry a bit about what goes on on college campuses. But I imagine it's still a great learning experience - academically and otherwise. I hope the grands enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My vastly over-educated parents wanted me to go to college. I knew that I couldn't manage that which is one of the primary reasons I joined the Army. When I finally did start at a local JC, I stayed there almost 4 years. Worked on campus too. When I started back to school at the local state university, I worked on campus there also as a custodian. I graduated when I was 40 knowing that I was very lucky to have had several of the best teachers in the world. I found I loved to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not like my first year at college but that was mainly due to my poor choice of schools. We were a very poor fit. It was very conservative and I was very liberal. Worked hard to get grades good enough to transfer toUT but they kicked me out with only 6 weeks left of classes second semester. I was allowed to try and keep up with my classes at home and take the final exams but my grades all dropped a letter. Second and third year I enjoyed but dropped out midway through my 3rd year second semester and never went back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually enjoyed college. It was an eye opener for me coming from a childhood on a sugar plantation and then moving into the dormitory and meeting other students from all over. You never know what kids will end up majoring in. My son graduated in political science from the University of Illinois (which I was dubious about since he had no intention of going into politics or law). Then he worked and put himself through a second degree in N.M. in biology and then public health. You just never know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm exhausted just thinking about your Thanksgiving schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am ashamed to talk of my early college years. My parents paid and I squandered the time. The first couple of years were unique for me and I assured my father that I did get an education, just not the one he paid for.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.