Monday, November 11, 2019

Did I ruin your appetite?

Perhaps somewhere in the world there are people who do not like Chinese food, but I have not yet met them. We really enjoyed all our meals even though we were ready for something different at the end of the three-week-long trip. Perhaps NOT wanting to eat something as different as some of the photos I took at a local food market below:



Stomatopods--one of the most ancient of creatures


Grubs and chiles!  Yum!


Wondering what these long caterpillar-like insects are.  Once again with chiles.


Ah, something familiar, squid tentacles ready to BBQ.


The famous durian that tastes better than it smells and is illegal to have in some apartments.


Candied fruit for dessert.  These tiny apples were everywhere including on a plate in our hotel room.


Some Yak cheese, hard and a little sweet.  Would you like some with your rice wine or Chinese beer?


Huge grapes and some persimmons?  These did look good.


I have omitted the Peking dinner, and maybe will get around to that sometime in the future.

19 comments:

  1. I remember resisting the push to eat a fried scorpion when I was in China. I just couldn't make myself eat it. Your pictures remind me of my own adventures in eating while in China. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chinese food, I can't stand it, all those that died for us. The grapes are different, love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have eaten most of the things there, but couldn't get past the smell of the durian 'fruit'. I love different and odd food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully no dogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the post before this one. I can be squeamish about food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd pass on the insects and I'd really love some yak cheese with rice wine. My Dad used to point out he'd eat anything if he got hungry enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too would not eat the bugs. Great photos. Hugs
    https://quickvie.blogspot.com/2019/11/lost-my-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And someone responded to my cry for help. I'm restored.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Can you delete your FB post as it has my reply?? IDs me somewhat. You can respond that Blogger helped!

      Delete
  8. The insects would not appeal to me. Interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will take a while before I can grab a snack. Not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:38 PM

    Oh my! Totally fascinating! I watch a show on PBS touring Japan and their dishes sometimes. I am very squeamish. Perhaps because my mom fed me too many candy bars when I was little! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not an adventurous eater.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's something to be said about roast beef and potatoes, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That would be a culinary experience that I might give a miss, even though I like Chinese Food.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh! I've never seen or heard of stomatopods.... and grubs? They offered to have us taste silkworm grubs in Korea and I took a pass on it. I'm quite gutless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the Chinese will eat anything. I guess I would too if I was hungry enough. my brother told me the key to eating in China and Japan is to not ask what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eating abroad is certainly a grand adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with ellen abbott. I can eat most things but I usually prefer not to know what it is if it is too "out there".

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.