Thursday, November 14, 2019

Take Off the Rose Colored Glasses

I fell in love with China and its people. As I have written, everyone was polite and helpful (someone who likes the "straight-talk" would say they are intimidated and know their place.) Both of these things are true. The Chinese government is trying to keep control of more than a billion people, people who are no longer hidden from the real world. The government blocks Facebook and Google and other social tools, but the Internet is still rampant with information that leaks into the homes of a very diverse culture that embraces a capitalistic culture and is eager to learn about the world.

China has 302 living languages, 276 indigenous. They are called "dialects" rather than languages...not accurate! The national language is Mandarin since 1913 and schools are required to teach that. We were told many times in our tours about the indigenous people and how they are given extra points to get into colleges or get special privileges, etc. The Hans, the largest group in China, is somewhat jealous of this, much like our white folks are angry that minorities get special treatment.  They also have discrimination issues between the various religions.  (Click on the photos for a larger view.)





On our visit to a local family (a friend of a friend), my sister-in-law had an app on her phone and we were able to communicate with about 80% accuracy.  It was fun and certainly helped as we had to take the local bus to their home and also to the restaurant!

The greatest variety in people is seen at the temples and tourist areas.  This is also the place you see more police and military keeping the peace(?).





Our tour was full of shows in cheesy costumes and basic folk dancing celebrating the diversity and the history of the country. They reminded me a little of our American Indians who used to do traditional shows years ago.


This post has gotten a little long, so I will talk about our final days and visit in Hong Kong next, since they are in the news so much these days.





12 comments:

  1. Beautiful country, such a depth of feeling there. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all long. Not cheesy either. :) Fascinating. What did you have for dinner. How were the busses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A proud culture but I have to say these tours do control what the visitors see from what I've seen by other friends going through different countries. You though got someone outside of that through a friend, which gave you a bit more than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn’t realize there were so many dialects. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That post was definitely not too long. I've just been visiting with a friend who spent three months in China a couple of years ago and still has fascinating tales to tell. I don't know how she remembers what she's told me before. Your photos are wonderful. It seems to me that in the first four shots you have captured an atmosphere. Wish I knew how you did that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photos. Not too long a post.
    It feels weird that I look to see what kind of shoes the people are wearing, and the fashions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not realize that China had do much diversity. They were just "the Chinese". We learn when we travel. thanks for sharing some of your learnings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too was surprised when you mentioned that it was getting too long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spent enough time in China to realize how much they have learned to get around the rules. Where I worked, a couple of people showed me how to get connected to the internet we all use here. I loved the Chinese people too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this could have been twice as long and still not be too long. Hard to distil Chine down to just a few words and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not too long, so interesting. I've never been there sadly, but China interests me a lot, fascinating culture and now a force to reckon with. I love seeing the people who live and work there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you learned more about China than we did. I think. It was such a long time ago that we'd been there. I think it's time we go back there.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.