Wednesday, October 02, 2019

The Devil and the 10 Details

Circling the wagons?

The list of detail things to be done before our trip is endless. I have a house sitter who came by two days ago when we did a walk-through and today emailed to ask when she could pick up the keys...which I GAVE her two days ago! Hope she finds them.

Our tax man is helping us with a delayed filing and has spent today attempting to send us some additional forms to sign through an encrypted email, but each time we only get one of the two emails. Finally, he is going to just send a PDF and have us physically scan and sign tonight.

I have a bag full of charger cords for Kindle, phone, and camera batteries. I have to sort through all my various plugs for China and add all that weight.


I will be in the high cold mountains of Tibet for two days as well as tropical Hong Kong for two days with mainland travel in between.  What a crazy wardrobe I will need.

Hubby's laptop died last week and he is learning to use the new one this week, which means I am routinely interrupted helping him learn it.  I wish I was a more patient person.

I have worked for two hours trying to download WeChat as the only China-friendly app for communication on my phone with my fellow travelers texting and been totally unsuccessful.  My "account" is now blocked.

My wristwatch died and I do not like the Fitbit as it gets crazy with changing the times via satellite, so I had to rush out and buy a new watch this morning.

I have gotten an invasion of moths in my pantry and each time I think I have found the culprit: some old barley? a plastic container of mung beans? or the really old box of graham crackers? the little larva appear a day later along the ceiling!  At least my pantry is the cleanest it has ever been.

I have no ability to buy Yuan in the boonies but hope we can exchange once we get there.  It seems that our new credit card bills had been mailed to our physical address and not our P.O. Box and thus we were in payment default and the two new cards were being blocked for use!  Another half-hour at the bank has now corrected that little anomaly.

My SIL recommended we use compression stockings since our flight is 15.5 hours long after the transfer.  I have two more days...so still thinking about that.

(It does not help that every time I turn on the TV that old man is in his front yard in his underwear shouting at everyone.  I look forward to getting away from this circus.)

18 comments:

  1. Prayers for safe comfortable and smooth travels. The compression socks sounds like a good idea, but I'd ask my doctor just on case. ...more patient person...made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well,,yes, I got tired and confused and anxious just reading your description of getting ready. I do hope you have a good and safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your vacation is memorable for all the right reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I can very easily empathize with your stress of getting ready for the trip to China. Yup! I do the same thing with getting my Paperwhite, iPad, cellphones, chargers, back up chargers, cords, etc. all ready for the trip. And then the clothes.... Wow! You're going to Tibet too! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it will be worth it, but it seems daunting at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My words would be the same as Linda's. Could no way do what you are planning on doing, but then I am much older then you and only
    my small home, nature surroundings my books is what I want.
    Guess you would call it simplicity. Safe travel wishes I send out for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My future will be more stay at home. I am feeling less and less a need to see the world.

      Delete
  7. I hope you will have a great life event with this trip to China. Both Tibet AND tropical Hong Kong? That would be tough to pack for. Layers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always find getting ready for travel to be a little stressful. I don't know if I'd get the compression stockings but next time I travel on an airplane I'm buying those expensive earplugs. my last flight coming back from Portugal on the descent, my right ear would not clear. took a couple of days and I think there is damage. certainly the tinnitus is worse in that ear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You might use your FB messenger to communicate with your friends. My daughter used that when in Canada and no charge if the place had wireless. Hope you have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:53 PM

    Crazy what we Americans do to "vacation". lol I've heard people actually come back more exhausted from a vacation, but I think your prep is quite extensive. Hopefully it (all the prep work) will bring peace of mind when you are on your trip. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does sound like too much! At least you will be forced to wait around and relax while traveling... Bon Voyage!
    I am jealous about Tibet- I have a FB friend from there- Beautiful place. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so envious! I quite enjoy that planning/preparing part of travel. I'm not a 'list' person except when planning a trip - when I couldn't do without them. Although I think your list would far outdo any I've ever had. And the two extremes of climate will be a challenge. Can't wait to see the photos from Tibet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beeeeeautiful images 4 in a circle, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. By the time you leave, you will need a vacation and by the time you get back and unpack you need a vacation from your vacation. It's still so much fun, i pray you have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such fun you are going to have.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.