Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Two Weekends in a Row

Some of us elders have the luxury of hanging out with Millennials.  I had back-too-back late 30 and early 40 somethings for two weekends in a row last week.  I did manage to talk myself out of a food panic.  I always want to be the gourmet/original/healthy/luscious cook when folks come.  Yes, I  am an  idiot.  Yes, it is a very bad habit.  This time I took a deep breath and decided to do something simple.  In one instance it helped that we had fresh crab for a central dish, something not easily obtained without money and something not all that hard to cook.

I took one of the couples, who are relatives, to a discount store of which we are members where they could do some shopping with savings.  They got to the candy aisle which was full of bags of candy for the distant Halloween holiday.  This involved a lot of discussion over which type of candy and how many bags.  It went on for some time.  Finally I went over to the  couple and asked why this was an issue.  The wife said, "Our neighbor across the street has caramel apples and hot apple cider and the kids walk on by our door even though  we are sitting outside.  We have to get better candy."

Yes.  In the grand scheme of things this is such a sad  situation.  Only in a first world country and in an upper middle class neighborhood is sweets giving so competitive!  I would be mad about having lots of  leftover candy and would have just turned off my porch light and  not  given out candy!  Such a bit of silliness.

Most of the rest of the weekend with them was boating and beaching which could help them unwind from stressful jobs.

The second couple who came the very next weekend brought along a lovely two-year-old girl who, while having one or two "terrible two" tantrums, was a delight to watch and share activities with.  This couple is just friends.

The husband of the little girl is originally from Hong Kong and so I was able to ask him to write up some notes for my husband's dietary restrictions during our upcoming visit to China.  He was able to write in the Chinese characters for both Northern and Southern China.  Fortunately, hubby's dietary restriction is not life threatening as it may be with others!

The husband of this couple also prepared a lovely salmon dish for our first night.  They brought ALL the necessary ingredients.   The biggest surprise was he did not have to ask me where any particular tool or ingredient might be in the kitchen.  My hubby can rarely make something without calling me  back a few times to  find something in the kitchen.  I was left to sip my glass of  wine and watch the toddler put together  one of my many children's puzzles.

There was so much more I learned and could say about these two visits, but I have rambled on  long  enough for now. 

This next week I face a long list of things  to check and do before our flight on Friday.






14 comments:

  1. It's come around so quickly. You will be ready by then, and I do so hope it's a wonderful and exciting (but not too exciting) trip! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have some time to relax before your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giving candy should not be a competition, and around here, they don't skip any house no matter if the treats are better at the next one.

    It sounds like some interesting and educational visits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to read something so upbeat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I could have written about the same thing .... about entertaining young folks and hiding on Halloween and cooking. But the trip to China .... not so much. Maybe down to Walmart.
    Have a wonderful time!
    (post pictures or it didn't happen)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couple 2 seems like pretty good guests to have. I'm sure couple 1 was too. Have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. competitive candy handout. not a problem I have to worry about in our isolated little neighborhood. you have been on the go all year or entertaining all year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your food panics are different from mine! I panic not about what to cook but how to cook it. When I'm cooking with company I tend to focus on what is going on rather than what I am doing. I'm looking forward to your trip - and the photos. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to have a guest chef in your kitchen and my thought is you must have a well organized (and logical) kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Food? Out. No panic here any more.
    I hope you have some leisurely hours this coming week before you leave. You do sound very good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How very kind of a guest who prepared dinner. I've never had that happen. Most of the people I work with are Millennials. I can't figure out why my computer says I'm spelling millennials wrong. Anyway, they are nice, young people, but they make me look bad because they do everything so quickly.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely two weekends you had. The second one reminds me of our visit to my cousin and her husband's home on Fox Island, WA. They've both passed, but when we did visit she prepared salmon with mango salsa, a great salad and garlic bread. Then we had her husband's blackberry cobbler with rich vanilla ice cream for dessert. I sat admiring the view of the water at the foot of their property and enjoying just being in their presence. Thanks for reviving this fond memory!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! How wonderful that you had such happy weekends. I love it when my daughter visits and cooks. You're going to China? That is awesome! We were planning to go again, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Once upon a time I was an avid, mad, insane caterer of regular dinner and luncheon parties, (and I cooked in restaurants for many years)...but longer! Those days are in the past. Now there is just my two furry mates and me!!

    In saying that...I did enjoy the fun, the rush, of it all when I was doing so.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.