Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Big Sky Country

Back in 1962 Montana set out a tourism promotion and called the state "Big Sky Country". Miles of flat land and nothing but the distant horizon and vast open sky is the daily view. Well, Wyoming can also call itself a big sky country...if not officially.  Songs, books, and resorts have been named after the big sky. While Grand Tetons present a firm anchor with their pointed and craggy peaks to contrast with the soft and succulent sky, there is still a whole lot of blue canopy that covers your head.  







The morning air was cool and great to inhale.  The afternoon air was dry but fresh.  By late afternoon clouds would begin to form. (If I lived there I would open up a chapstick booth as that is the what is used in vast commodities as people fling back their heads and gazed open-mouthed at the heavens.)  



There are people who feel vulnerable and naked if standing in the middle of a meadow with a vast expanse of the earth all around them.  They feel safer in the shadows of a highrise in a city somewhere.  I, on the other hand, feel as if I can breathe once again.  As if my life has opened to a natural rhythm and freedom.  As if I am in an invisible embrace of the earth.



And while I was exhausted at 9:00 P.M. when the sunsets began, I did get a few sunset photos on a late moose hunt






15 comments:

  1. Oh wonderful. And when are you moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I need is a million $ for a second house and the transport costs back and forth.

      Delete
  2. These beautiful photo's look a lot like the country around here, Butte.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the big sky of the Canadian Prairies when I drove through there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beauty. Hard to take it all in I would think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is gorgeous. I grew up and live under a big sky, the coastal plains along the Texas Gulf coast. I like to visit the mountains but I don't think I could live there all that snow notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly do have a lovely turn of phrase. I can feel your "invisible embrace of the earth". The longer I live with open skies, the more uncomfortable I feel without them. What a beautiful countryside you have visited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those are some heavenly views!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely! I know what you mean about big sky and all that beautiful canopy overhead. Your picture are stunning, especially that first one, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gorgeous country and the sky really does seem so much bigger there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos. I love that country.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, beautiful state but too long cold for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Buffalo image, and, look at the skies, perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What awesome pics! Beautiful place! Moose hunt sounds like fun! I have done that without seeing any in Maine's Baxter Stare Park before.

    I too prefer outdoors and fresh air, but know folks afraid of wilderness and wildlife.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.