Monday, May 06, 2019

Engines That Idle Rather Than Rust


"Its such as you learn my mind! You appear to grasp so much about this, such as you wrote the e-book in it or something. I believe that you just can do with some p.c. to force the message home a bit, however other than that, that is great blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely be back."

I usually delete the dozen or so comments like the one above. They always come from "Anonymous" who reads my blog pretty often and is full of praise in broken English. Anonymous does not have an interesting blog of their own, though. They usually link to some odd ad for products I do not need or links to some place in India for soldiers on R&R.  But I do have to admit they are faithful commenters.


I have not been blogging because I have been busy with the annual plant sale which is our biggest fundraiser each year.  While it only lasts half a day there is almost a full week of prep.  We sell our plants at really low prices, and we make around 5K.  My Solomon's Seal went pretty fast as did my Hellebores and my toad lilies.  Next year I will dig up the spreading turtle head (Chelone glabra) and my obedient plant (Physostegia virginiana) which is in the mint family and spreads -  vociferously-mine are the traditional white blossoms.

This year the exhaustion of three days of prep and plant moving and the half day on my feet talking to strangers plant lovers truly exhausted me.  In my early 70's now, I do begin to feel the wear and tear on both body and mind as the day wears on. We are all old-timers and I could see the younger of us with her recent knee replacement hobbling about, and the slightly older gal who had back surgery last month keeping her posture straight, and the older of us who has arthritis in her back finding places to sit every once in a while.



I also went on an all-day meadow exploration trip just a few days before (which I may write about).  This is a planned and planted meadow funded through a consortium, which is the new push to re-create more natural habitats on fallow farmlands for animals and insects and natural plants.  I was with a group of naturalists and master gardeners.  We talked the hour and a half ride to the meadow and the hour and a half ride back home.  As an introvert, this was like running a marathon for me!  I enjoyed the whole thing immensely,  but my brain and body completely shut down when I get home and I could not even find the energy to talk to my husband!

With all this activity I have been sleeping a little better, but it is more intense with lots of confusing dreams.  Last night I was in France buying tickets to a play and later returned to enter the play only to find I was exactly one minute late and the door shut in my face.  I was very angry and saying some nasty things about the French which embarrassed my husband and then I got on a train waiting for him to catch up only to find I was on the wrong train heading to far north France and not just the other side of the city to our hotel!  I was more exhausted and angry in the dream than frightened.

I do not think it is fair that my dreams are just as exhausting as my days.  Here is hoping your spring is now like the gentle blossoms that nod in the cool breezes...not a marathon!



19 comments:

  1. Little can be much for us introverts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time for some youngsters to get involved, but then we also have to let next generation come up with their own ideas too. I have begun to see, in so many different situations, that new people get scared away by insistence on "tradition" in how things get done. Transitions are difficult for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have a few 40 somethings and a couple of 20 somethings, but their careers really prevent them from participating as much as us retired folks can.

      Delete
  3. Nice plant sale. Dreams replaying a day's events can be uncomfortable.
    Meadows were playgrounds for kids over 50 years ago. Now, they feel to me like museum exhibits, don't pick flowers or doing anything but hope the bug/tick spray works. A tour of a meadow sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with all that you said.

      Delete
  4. I sometimes have disturbed dreams like that, and I am an extroverted as they come. But all that preparation and hard work must have carried some residue that needed to be taken off to France, so to speak. Hope you get some good sleep tonight! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do find it frustrating when I'm having a stressful day and then my dreams add to it. Not fair lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. we had our plant sale this weekend. our small town garden club didn't have nearly as much on offer as yours. my main contribution was bletilla ground orchids, flowering sennas, and confederate roses. and I totally get the exhaustion after a long day of socializing a couple of hours usually does me for a week. the three weeks of constant socializing in Portugal last May was wore me out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was beginning too think you were lost in China. Yes, more and more I become a hermit. My friend Bobbie wants us to come up and spend a whole day and night too. She's even willing to buy a new bed for us to sleep on. But that much socialization turns me numb now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It certainly sounds like a lot of work, i am sure you are looking for younger people to join in, and having the same trouble as we are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m not a great sleeper but when I do sleep, dreams have begun to disturb me. Makes for tired days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean about being exhausted when you have to spend extended time talking and interacting with other people, even when you are having a good time.
    Age is creeping up on me too. I guess I would be the one with the bad back and the arthritic hip and knee who looked for chances to sit down. Good for you for your volunteer efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes as one gets older, the thought of quietness and solitude seem like a dream, of course it isn't, we have, unfortunately in my case, to interact with the world. Selling plants at this time of the year is always good, we have two people in our village that lay out their stores on the curb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You share bits and pieces of me. Wish I was near your plant sale, so many I would pick up.
    Understand much you share, enjoy this time for in 10 years it really changes. Enjoy your sharing so very much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that awareness as we begin to slow down — “resting a bit”. Hope your dreams become more enjoyable — sounds like they reflect some of what you felt with that active day.

      Delete
  13. Lovely plant sale, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's what I need. More activity. When are you leaving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you mean the big China trip, not until fall.

      Delete
  15. Talking to garden lovers is something I used to find absolutely wonderful. Sadly, now that I have forgotten the names of many plants - in fact I even need to look them up just for myself - these conversations are less riveting. Still, dealing with plants, with earth and growing things is good for my health and keeps my mind calm and on an even keel.

    Don’t overdo the busyness though, your dreams are trying to tell you something.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.