Friday, April 26, 2019

Honest Memories

I spent a small fortune to have a dozen video (VHS) tapes converted digitally for preservation this past month.  (HA! Like converting them to X's and O's makes them safe from destruction!) I had not looked at these tapes for years even though we have saved an old TV that has a VHS player built in.  I still have more than a dozen more, but need to save up money to have them converted in the fall.

They packed the tapes very well upon return and then inside a tiny gray envelope taped to the inside top of the box I got this below!  The black item above is the normal "thumb drive" that you can get at the drug store or office supply store which I placed next to the actual memory device I got.


That little tiny silver item is the "pinky" drive they sent me with about a dozen 10-minute movies on it.  I am wondering if I need to paint it red to keep from losing it!  I did not know they made memory sticks this tiny.  It seems like a rather jarring representation of your life (in movies) of Thanksgiving dinners and Christmas mornings and vacation trips.  This is what we have been shrunk to.  Talk about feeling like insignificant stardust!

I also heard my "leadership" voice-over as I got people organized or explained what was being recorded authoritatively.  I am sad to say that I was (probably still am) a bit annoying with my desire to capture it all.  Maybe you can remember hearing your recorded voice for the first time and wondering why you sounded so different.  Well, this was even more "enlightening."  I felt like apologizing to everyone in the movie.  Oh well.  If we saw ourselves as we really are, we would be much more perfect.

Now I have to find some movie software to work on these files and give them some headings and historical context (if I can stand listening to my voice).  I used to work with something years ago, but remember I hated working with movies...maybe there is something cheap and quick out there.






16 comments:

  1. You’ve made a great start. Many of us have to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The people who used to convert such things around here were doing other things on the side (growing pot) and ended up in trouble. We haven't found anyone else local, and i'd hate to send those kinds of things away since packages can be lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I am saved from this task, since we never had a video recorder. Thousands of still photos though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also don't have a bunch of videos to be converted, but on the other hand, I sure wish I could revisit some of our old memories the way you will be able to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good thing to do but the thought of it wearies me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much of this in my past as husband enjoyed making videos.
    Trying to think of the right words
    they do not surface.
    I admire you so very much
    you are super intelligent
    Please slow down a little.
    I say this to you
    but your older one here
    still does not do it.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fortunately, most of our movies are from before VHS with no voice-- movie reels. I've thought of doing this but the kids have no interest in even looking at the photo albums-- nor have the grandkids. One good thing about the old movie reels-- no voice. I also hate to hear mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am posting words to you and probably not in the correct place :)
    you shared on my journal all the energy I used with my children home.
    Could not figure out why the day after which is today why I am so tired
    now I know. Mom in her 80's cannot do what she did in the past.
    As always, thank you for your meaningful words to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One granddaughter turned to me years ago and asked why I spent all my time behind a camera. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ha forgotten so much that is in these movies. I do not remember my life without the camera.

      Delete
  10. You followed my dream. I want to try and preserve the many home videos we have but every time I think about it, the monumental task frightens me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just start with three and see if you like it.

      Delete
  11. Oh, I keep meaning to transfer cine films. Maybe I should just film them when theyre being projected but I have a feeling that wouldn't work. .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Years ago I used many 2-d or 3-d animation programs to generate tags. You can also make a computer pic to print out and take a photo of it, then insert in Microsoft Movie (Library has 8.0 with an edit option), Movie-maker, or other edit programs. We used to have a Nintendo game program that we made movie tags with ages ago.


    I have a tiny , plastic thumbdrive which sides at the plug-in point broke off! It is too tiny, so I tied a logd string loop to it for an easier dig out of the drive baggie I have now. I want to do that with mine plus my7 Dad's old home vhs movies. Someday! Glad you are getting yours started! The grandkids will appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I need to backup this thumb drive to a solid state extraneous drive!

      Delete
  13. Anonymous2:11 AM

    Its such as you learn my mind! You appear to grasp so much about this, such
    as you wrote the e-book in it or something. I believe that you just can do with some p.c.
    to force the message home a bit, however other than that,
    that is great blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely
    be back.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.