Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Wading In and Out

My biggest cheerleader is my husband...this is both a good thing and a really bad thing. (Flattery will get you not very far with me because I tend to be a realist and know that people are just being nice...or they want something from me.)

Hubby is a mixture of both.  He sees my talents, efforts, and energy through rose-colored glasses. He works with a group of community-minded folks that have passion, some have money and even a very few have connections and power. They want to save their little portion of the bay through restoration efforts. This also includes an education component and they have been able to contact at least FIVE schools from elementary, to high school to vocational tech, to help participate in these efforts.  Recently, after some arm twisting on hubby's part telling me I worked so well with children,  I volunteered at one of the elementary schools to help a STEM class with hands-on work with data collection on oyster shells counting oyster spat that about 6 adult volunteers and teachers brought to the class.  The kids were intuitive, smart and well-behaved and it was a fun afternoon.  Not sure what they really learned as scientific data collection is a long term effort in reality, but we found a lot of interesting wildlife on the oyster shells when we removed them from the aquarium.  An elderly lady, my age, ran the effort and did a great job.

Oysters we sometimes eat over the winter that hang out in cages under our dock...the only photo I have of oysters.
Well, the woman who was coordinating the effort emailed me the next day and asked if I would like to be on a "steering committee" toward this effort.  I emailed back that I was NOT a meeting person, but if the meetings were short and few I would come.  I have now attended two that last over an hour and were two weeks apart.  The first meeting had about 8 people and the agenda was somewhat all over the place as we had industry folks, fishermen, biologists, and some hands-on aquaculture guys.  They had projects and plans like an octopus has legs.  I took notes, asked questions and left at the end.  This effort includes building and deploying "reef balls" with attached oyster spat throughout the bay while training the students!  They do have money for cement, wood, a large trailer and are now collecting tools, etc.

The second meeting was last night and plans got a bit more solidified and filled up a calendar for the next few months.  They (only five attended this time) were suggesting we needed a chair for this group.  Everyone (some still worked full time) were shifting eyes and were too busy.  They looked at me and one suggested if I had time.  Well, I was not born yesterday, and I immediately explained that I was coming way late to this group, did not have the experience and connections they needed, and would be willing to volunteer at events, but NOT coordinate anything.  I looked directly at the gal that had invited me, an elderly woman, one of those dynamic movers and shakers.  She had the honesty to look down and make some notes. (I am sure hubby had praised me to her!)

Hubby and she ended up being co-chairs.  Hubby has NO time for this, but that is his problem.

There was an after meeting of a much larger group (fishermen) to which hubby belongs, so I took my car and headed home.  While watching the last episode of Hinterland, hubby returned and talked about someone at the second meeting.  

He asked if I remembered a person who joined the group late and sat across the table and I said, "No."  Well, this person is a really good nature artist and donates lovely water bird paintings to the auction/money raising effort that the fishermen/conservation group holds annually.  I have seen them.  I guess the fellow was out that morning with his camera trying to get some good bird photos as references for his artwork and came back without anything useful and complained to my husband.

Hubby immediately told him we had Canvas Back ducks in the river last week and that I got some good great photos.  Not true, the photos were barely in focus and far away.  The artist was excited and asked for my email and if I would mail him my photos for his work...OMG! to throw out a valley girl expression.  Did I say hubby exaggerates my talents?

This morning I went through a bunch of waterbird photos taken over the years and will email the chap two of them explaining that as he gets to know my husband better he will realize that he exaggerates a bit.

This is the photo that I took last week.

Below is a better photo that I took many years ago.



 (To add insult to injury, last week my DSLR broke and I had to send it out for an expensive repair.  I put my telephoto on another smaller older DSLR that I own and in a few hours the telephoto broke!  In all fairness, this equipment is over 12 years old and while I am careful with it, it does see a lot of outdoor use.)


18 comments:

  1. At least you didn't take the bait about heading up the committee. Your pictures are fine, but (pardon me for being honest) nothing special, IMHO. I have always loved your header picture, though, and look forward to seeing it when I log onto your website. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also not a meeting person. When we had department head meeting at lunchtime at school I got through them my appreciating the free lunch and justifying that I was getting paid (sort of ) for attending. Not long ago, I went to a planning meeting for the town's 200th celebration this year and couldn't make go back. Not that I tried very hard. But I don't mind too much going out and taking photos for the events although that is really more work.

    Sorry about the gear breakdown. My original DSLR quit a few years ago. My second is probably 7-8 years old and my newest 3 or 4. And I am contemplating my next one. Mainly I want a full frame camera with a tilt screen as I become more physically limited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the best thing a person can do for themselves is to learn to say 'no' and not feel guilty about it so good for you. as for oysters, I don't care for them raw or fried. one year I was with a group of women and the dinner menu was oysters but the were going to cook them in the shell on the bar-b-que. you'll like them they told me. I was skeptical but tried one and they were right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job not volunteering to coordinate! I volunteered to be the president of my Condo Board since no one else would and I already regret it! It is so much "listening to bitching" and nothing productive! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, talk about being thrown into a pit of alligators! They can eat up time and energy. Choose wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shouldn't' laugh, but I am. He loves you and thinks you are the bee's knees...which easily be a serious problem.
    A Wonderful read. Thank you.
    I've been watching your weather. Stay warm and off the roads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also not a joiner... I do belong to the Clay Club at the school... but we have very few meetings and they are almost always during the day on a Saturday when we're already at the Studio. And DH and I do do crime watch patrol for our neighborhood, but that's about it. I learned when our kids were young not to over volunteer... As for oysters, I used to eat them all the time - raw, fried, grilled, etc. Mama made the best oyster pie, oyster patties, and oyster stew. But I don't eat them anymore for many reasons. One is that down in New Orleans I was sure they were fresh. Here in North Texas, not so much. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:54 PM

    Your oyster meal looks delicious. I bet it was loads of fun for the children. I know my kids always enjoyed seeing shore life. It is hard to attend a committee meeting without being expected to volunteer. And it seems the world can be full of meetings! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I am just as well off not to have a cheer leader in my life?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good of you to volunteer and smart of you to know your limits.

    Perhaps the painter gentleman can come by your place and take some photos of his own from which to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Knowing where to draw the line with volunteer work is so important.

    If anyone thinks you are the best, it should be the spouse! He has your back and everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You just took quite a bit of time posting why you won't be the chairman or any other very active role. With that time you could have been planning a meeting. Just kidding, of course. In order to be a good leader of a group you need to have some passion for the cause, because sometimes jobs like this are about as easy as herding cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is complicated wit many moving parts and I am not really close to any of the players. I am best as just being given a task or two.

      Delete
  13. I've had years where i was involved in volunteer work but these days I just don't have the right energy for it. I think it' important to set up boundaries that work for us and sounds like you did that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds an interesting group. Well done for not taking on more tham you can handle. Bad luck about your cameras. Hope they are fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I replied to your question/comment about stacking on my next post.
    https://anvilcloud.blogspot.com/2019/01/focus-stacking-explained.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Exaggerating can appear as praise in the daylight.
    I admire your standing your ground to say no. That is a valuable skill to have.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have no one praising my abilities as you do, but reading your reaction and refusal gave me the confidence to stand up to a rather pushy request in a similar sticky situation. I was recently asked to join the board of a small, local newsletter which appears in print every two months. When I inquired about the work involved (the second time revealed the truth), I was told that whenever they could not find writers for their chosen topics, I would do the writing which, of necessity would involve copious interviewing and fact finding. As I'm an essayist and dread interviews and reporting, I had to decline, and say why. They were gracious, saying they hoped I'd contribute now and then, even though they don't print essays! It's the small battles won that give me courage for the bigger ones :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.