Thursday, January 24, 2019

Re-Entry


Hubby and fishing pals returned two days early from the great Everglades swamp. They caught some fish (didn't bring me any) saw alligators and dolphin and got to sleep under the stars as this was truly camping out. They had two canoes and one kayak all pulled by a small motor, so with navigation by maps and GPS they covered over 100 miles of the islands going from fresh water to salt water. I think they had fun, although this would not be my cup of swamp water even if warmed before a cozy fire. They came back two days early because the weather was nippier than usual...yes, even in Southern Florida.


Fortunately, I had food for dinner and we ate a new recipe of marinated herbed chicken wings that I was trying.  This dinner was all prepared after I got my kitchen back from their unpacking!!





These photos above were taken after hubby had done most of his cleaning!  I know.  The two men that went with hubby are people he has known for decades, one was a student working under him in Hawaii and the other was a high school chum.  The fourth fellow who is the oldest of all had a serious heart incident prior to the trip and thus could not go as he has gone before, but you see him standing below wishing them well.  These trips do get precious as time moves on.





12 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great trip and how cool that they do it every year! Man bonding at its finest! And you get a little break too since you prefer not to canoe along - lol! I bet they have great stories when they get home! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it is fortunate to be able for him to get out there. One of these days he will get left out of the fun, n that will be difficult for you both! He at least cleans up... n didn't get chopped up by a gator...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun though not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:36 PM

    Well glad they had a good, albeit somewhat cold, trip. I would have enjoyed the nice quiet house before the arrival...and then dreaded the unpacking activity. It is nice your husband cleaned up some, which in a man's mind was probably thorough. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good guy-thing trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great trip, i’m glad they got to go, even if it got a bit cold at the end.

    You asked if i make the fairy gardens, and no, Grandma and Bigger Girl do — there isn’t an artistic bone in my body.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad they enjoyed it. I'm impressed that fed them all on short notice and with an invaded kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done plenty of primitive camping in my day, but in the Everglades? I would skip that I think. Although I do love the Everglades in the daytime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was in Florida when that cold snap hit. It was really strange to see the temperature was colder there than back home in the Pacific Northwest! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so hope they had fun even if it got really cold. All if them look like a hardy bunch. They sure did gibe your kitchen theonce over. ARe all the cupboards white. One side looks grey I mailed the card and will go get some new address things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of my cabinets are a "French" white and the center island is black.

      Delete
  11. I admire folks that can kayak, even more so anywhere near alligators, pythons and such.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.