Thursday, November 29, 2018

Telling Stories I(He) Don't Remember

A bookshelf of stories from a friend's house.
I am sure that many of us have sat around the holiday table and told a story from our childhood or youth only to be interrupted by a sibling or aunt or cousin or old school chum telling us a substantial variation of how things really happened. Are we lying, are they lying, do we just see things differently, or are our memories plastic and undependable?

I guess the more we like to tell a good story of an event from our life we tend to embellish or maybe just exaggerate a little because we have told the story so many times before and we want it to have a better edge?  If we do that enough, then the story may change substantially in our own mind.  But what if the story is not that old?  What about omissions to the story?


We had been invited to lunch recently.  This was by a couple I had never met and they lived about 40 minutes from our house.  When I asked Hubby why and what was going on his response was that "I  had met the man at the community pool the last time I went up to swim(!).  He found we had so much in common that we were invited to lunch."

We get to the house, which has a lovely spreading view of a river, and when the door is open a lovely, very thin, lady with dark Spanish eyes and bold dangly earrings welcomes us in.  The home is warm and inviting and there are nice smells coming from the range.  We introduce ourselves and I meet the husband who is of average looks, average build, and above average intelligence.  We learn over a glass of Spanish rose that she is from Columbia and this is a second marriage for both of them.  (They met via computer.)  We, of course, do not get into what tragedies brought about the dissolution of both marriages.  He is retired Navy and she has worked on nutrition programs for USAID in her past.

Another couple arrives in leather jackets and pants via a very expensive looking motorcycle that can carry home the groceries if needed.  The man is a retired Navy pilot and the wife is currently working in intelligence data for defense, both in their late 50's or early 60's.  

I finally ask as we sit down to eat why the retired Navy pilot had been so brave as to invite to lunch someone he just met at a community pool?  His wife is laughing because she agrees with me.  This is when I get the other version of the story.

He begins with:

"Well, at first I was not too sure about J.  As I was leaning against the wall of the pool he walked up to me and asked if I had an extra swimsuit because he had forgotten to pack his.  I didn't.  Then after my swim, I saw him working out in the gym and we headed to the showers together and got talking.  We found we had a lot in common."

I think I can safely say that most of us found this story a bit jaw-dropping.  I am not as surprised as you are that my husband asked if the man had an extra suit.  My husband is an only child and the most honest and trusting person even at his old age.  (My daughter was shocked when I told her the story.)  The fact that my husband left out this important point shows somewhat how we skew stories.

Now for another story.  I was listening to Malcolm Gladwell's podcast (which can be heard here) that explains how stories by honest and intelligent people can be so strange or contradicting. Listen to Episode 3 and Episode 4 from season 3 for the background on this storytelling thing.  Malcolm Gladwell has a compelling voice and really good episodes....go ahead and listen...40 minutes long and 37 minutes long...I will wait.


Then my next post will be the story my husband and I tell about how we met and a revisionist ( more boring) version.

16 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine asking someone if I could borrow something as intimate as a swimsuit! I'll have to find some time to listen to those podcasts. But it's true that memories don't hold still in the telling. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the story telling, my husband does this, and it drives me nuts. He alters versions of a story that i was there and know it's not how it was. I have no idea why he does it but I try not to correct him with others around unless it's a critical difference (usually it's not). I am not sure what leads to the revisions and whether it really is a different way of seeing things or is it instead making it better and more interesting? At any rate, after being married for 54 years, I am pretty sure it's not changing lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! Stories and memory. We are on similar tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have clicked on the link and opened up a tab for the podcast, which I may get to later, but it doesn't point to a specific podcast. Did you have one in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pages are not intuitive but go to Season 3 and podcasts 3 and 4 of that season. They use Panoply, but there are other ways to listen.

      Delete
  5. we do remember things differently and memories, studies have shown, are not all that reliable. my two siblings remember the same events as I but differently, similar but different. I suppose we each remember anything in the way it affected us or had meaning for us. my husband remembers things differently than I and like Rain when he tells the story, I know things didn't happen quite that way. he has no trouble interrupting to correct me though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will check out the podcast after work. Since I remember nothing, I don't tell many stories. George? He tells good ones but often leaves out some of the juicy details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, memories. Sometimes we wonder if our 3 kids were actually brought up together in the same house as their memories differ so. And I'm at the stage where I don't trust my own memory - neither the things I remember nor the things I don't. As for the swimsuit story, I can't imagine myself asking a stranger to borrow anything, let alone a swimsuit...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:21 PM

    I love your observance of people and how you describe them. Paints a picture in my mind and I enjoy "seeing" others. I just had a sibling tell me how liberal I was in college...yet I cannot remember his recollection of me! I think that is an example of two different versions of a story. Both cannot be correct lol. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Memory can so easily be skewed. One person i know always says that there are three sides to every story, his side, her side, and the truth.

    messymimi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you!
    I thought it was just me with a memory malfunction problem. If I can't recall the image, the memory blurs. That can sometimes cause events to blend or be enhanced into another truth...until I'm reminded the error.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A man asking to borrow a swim suit? I don't believe it. However my spouse would not have had qualms about doing such a thing but I thought that was just him. Oh well. Podcast later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Storytelling of events do often reflect different perspectives I’ve noticed depending on who’s relating the tale. There were a couple instances when my husband said he thought he had performed a couple acts I had actually done. Was eerily strange to me as I began to wonder if something was going on with his mental state. Am not sure even now but will never know if early indicator of a problem, or maybe residual effect of a sleeping med he occasionally took with known memory side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do like this a lot. I've come back to reread it after being a bit shocked by the books at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Hanukkah.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.