Wednesday, November 21, 2018

It Is What It Is


Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day in the United States and like many holidays, is being viewed with less rosy eyes by its citizens.  Some see it as a time when Colonists and Native Americans came together to share the bounty of the season.  Others see it as a glorification of a false time where Europeans were at the beginning of erasing an indigenous people.

I usually see it as a day where I can make a long list of thankfulness and eat a big plate of caloric food.

I was reading one of the bloggers who wrote that she used to get "pity-invitations" on Thanksgiving after her husband passed, but she no longer gets invited on this holiday.  She usually eats alone.

Hubby and I will be doing nothing on that day. That is what I wrote. We will not be cooking turkey. We will not be traveling to a house where turkey is being cooked. We will not eat out at a restaurant where turkey is on the buffet.  I think I have some chicken thighs thawing in the fridge or if we get energetic and it is not too cold, we will harvest a few oysters.


Every other Thanksgiving our children go to their respective in-laws hours away and celebrate and this year is the other Thanksgiving.  Like many in America, they will be traveling well into the night tonight.


Hubby and I have often gone to a local Irish pub/restaurant which serves the best buffet Thanksgiving, but this year we did not get our reservations in on time!  So, we will be doing nothing special.  Maybe I will post my thankfulness list...?  Certainly, I will eat.  

I am hoping that those of you who celebrate will have good food and good conversation and some spiritual uplifting.  For all the rest of you, stay safe.

14 comments:

  1. Enjoy a peaceful day. The traveling members of our extended family are already at their destinations safely. Funny holiday. We like the four days off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having a vegetarian holiday. I am making ratatouille in the crock pot. Easy and delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:36 PM

    Happy Thanksgiving to you too! It is a shame the Irish pub was full; that sounds good to me! I'm sure the first Thanksgiving era was not rosy as stories depict. Yet I like to imagine it was but I know I'd never want to have been living then! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a peaceful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will be driving in traffic down the freeway to my sister's house, where turkey is being cooked. I am bringing berry and pumpkin pie, which I have now finished baking, and cranberry sauce. This is the sister with whom I have had a strained relationship due to political differences. I will come in peace and hope to generate thankfulness for her and the rest of her big, noisy family. We will come home in the dark, but hopefully with spirits brightened.
    I guess, ultimately, for us, Thanksgiving has always been about family, and eating, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a good day being thankful and having something good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes please post your gratitude list. I would be appreciative of that. :)
    We are going out. We are taking Captain Poolie's best friend. Pam, to the Boat House. She has no family here, and tho she has a therapist, she isn't following her suggestions. She needed to be with someone, and I beat the crowd with an invite. Margot always dines with her friend Mary, and Milaka lives far, far away in Portland. I can send love to both of them, and happily eat with Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, Thanksgiving has always been about family and food...until my parents left this plane of existence, and then we were just kind of left on our own to figure it out. LOL R and I will be here, I will definitely have the Macy's parade, on and I will definitely be disappointed tomorrow night that I did not cook my traditional Thanksgiving Day dishes. Hm. But the seasons this year have just totally caught me by surprise, and the turkey breast remains frozen in the freezer. Maybe I'll haul him out tomorrow to thaw, and make the dinner on Saturday or Sunday. We've had doctors' appointments two days in a row that involve two-hour round trip drives, not to mention the time spent at the appointments, so frankly, I'm beat and would love to just stay in the bed in the morning with Marlee curled up beside me and watch the parade and sip coffee until Noon. :) Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been doing Thsnksgiving for 30 years. and have between 12 to 25 guests. . This year my son and his wife will go to her family and I am used to that. Unfortunately, though, two of my grandchildren, who are away at college, will not be with us. This is something that I am not used to and I will sorely miss their presence. It just won’t the same, but change and loss is just a part of life. ,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ive prepared so there will be little I need to do so will enjoy my holiday with me, myself and I. Friends are coming Friday and we’re going out to eat. Happy Thanksgivings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you are having a good day, despite the lack of family and turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All you need for a great holiday is thanks and your true love. Hopeour day is very special!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy the day as it unfolds, and the list is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving!
    I spent the day alone relaxing, writing, having a wonderful day. Cooked turkey one day, next baked the squash, and yesterday had the mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Spreading it out feels wonderful! The best part is not eating a whole pumpkin pie. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.