Saturday, November 17, 2018

The Other Hawaiians

Some of these animals are not native and even invasive and others were once endangered but are now fairly common due to federal regulations.  There are many, many exotic birds in Hawaii that have been introduced and if I were birding on this trip I would have gone looking for them.  But I only photographed those I stumbled across in my rush to keep up with the younger adults.  All the animals were interesting.



Everyone is an art critic...found when I went for the plasticware at a lunch counter.

Gold dust day gecko (Phelsuma laticauda) native to Madagascar.  So lovely!


Perhaps a shama?

An immature shorebird of some kind or a dove?

A common Brazilian Cardinal

Asian Mongoose introduced to get rid of the rats in the sugar plantations and now a nuisance.

Monk Seal, once rarely seen on Oahu.  The small Hawaiian (French Frigate Shoals area) island that recently was washed away after the hurricane was home to over 90% of these!

Feral cats fed by misled people (unless they also are wise enough  to catch and sterilize.)

Green Turtles sunning and protected from disturbance by law...love these guys.
Nene (Branta sandvicensis) that used to be endangered and is now everywhere!

I had fun and left out the goats which I had posted in a prior blog and my photos of the wild pigs were pretty blurry.

13 comments:

  1. Nice photos. So many critters to see! The geckos are funny looking at the artwork, probably wondering how to get into the scene.
    Wild pigs scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The geckos are great for helping to keep the bug population down. We saw large pigs on the Big Island and they were scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful critters! I especially love the picture of the geckos and the painting. And that next one is amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the gecko is stunning and I remember seeing the Brazilian cardinal. I would have like to get a book on the birds in Hawaii when we were there so as to be able to identify them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many beautiful birds and critters, i would imagine you could spend a whole vacation just looking at wildlife.

    messymimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love turtles but we don’t have any here. I am glad those are protected!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post. For the most part, I have neither the patience nor expertise to do wildlife photography.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that Brazilian Cardinal...the color. Did that cats have snipped ears?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may have becasue I did not look. Is that a sign of being taken care of? If so,I will look in the future.

      Delete
  9. That gecko is striking. Like your interesting bird pictures. My SIL, artist living in Volcano, created extinct Hawaiian bird to represent the state on 2002 White House Christmas tree. She’s been dedicated to preserving Hawaiian heritage including teaching basket-making skills on the various Islands in years past when younger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your weather there looks horrid. I hope you two are ok. Have a nice thanksgiving despite it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these animal pics! That would've been my main goal to see were I there. Depressing about the Monk seal island!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.