Sunday, August 26, 2018

Disjointed





My life has become disjointed.  It seems to be full of disparate themes these days that make me feel just a bit off kilter.

I saw Mama Mia Part II recently and various ABBA songs keep running through my head at odd times of the day. I like ABBA so there could be worse songs drilling a beat in my brain.  Is it a premonition that the phrases "take a chance on me" and "SOS" are the constants?

I cut myself (again) while chopping garden veggies the other day and now two tips of my fingers are sore when I use the keyboard to type. I try to keep the knives sharpened, but they are getting old.

I am reading "The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever Happiness." It is a well-written story, but the kind of story that haunts you with sadness as you finish each chapter.

I have mixed a weed-killer formula of vinegar, Epsom salts and dish soap to kill my weeds while protecting the river. I spray this along paths and where crabgrass has grown over the drains or into the bricks. It took me all day to find where I had left the large bag of salts. I looked in the garage, the laundry room and even under the bathroom sink until eventually finding the bag under the kitchen sink of all places!

I washed all the windows on the outside with one of those Windex spraying tools resulting in a sore shoulder and stiff neck.  It also helped me see more clearly how the inside of the windows is covered in a pale film of dirt. I guess I have to start on those next and do the "wash on-wash off" Karate dance.  The whole time I did this I kept thinking of rain against the windows of friends in Hawaii as the hurricane just missed them.




We lost our large fig tree and now the new ones we planted a few years ago are just starting to come into figs.  Hubby is eating most of them as snacks when he mows the lawn so there will not be much of a harvest this year. They are Celeste figs and seem to taste better than the other ones we had.

John McCain lost his battle this week and I am struggling with the sadness of losing his balanced and fair voice in the Congress. He was one of the few that admitted he made mistakes. The Republicans are now free to fully lose their way.

The DNC, on the other hand, have changed their rules in dealing with Superdelegates in order to appeal to Millennials.    Time will tell.


I have tried to be more regular with my exercise (elliptical and free weights) which results in my Fitbit telling me I am not meeting the 10,000 steps each day.  Nothing more annoying than wiping the sweat from your brow and your Fitbit asking if you are up for a stroll!  I wonder if I will be alive when this technology really tells us how we are doing.

And perhaps the most annoying is that it is 2:59 in the morning as I write this.  A full moon usually means insomnia for me.  I  do not have to be anywhere today, so may take a nap after lunch.  Here is hoping I get back on track sooner rather than later.  Maybe some meditation and breathing exercises?




23 comments:

  1. I tend not to notice dirty windows, perhaps because Sue notices them early.

    How well does your homemade weedkiller work? Sue does something with vinegar but the results are only so-so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far they kill the leaves, but not always the roots.

      Delete
  2. Naps are wonderful ways to handle insomnia. Without them I would be a zombie. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. take care of yourself, a little cleaning at a time, exercise but build up slowly,
    words from the ancient one at the edge of the woods

    ReplyDelete
  4. I consider naps one of the rewards for getting to old age. Even 15 minutes improves my evening hours which don't last much past 9-- when they even get there. I though get up often at 4, so guess it balances out. As for windows, only when the sun shines do I notice the spots ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can still see through my windows LOL, going to sic the grandkids on them though.

    The loss of John McCain is huge no matter your political view. I can't imagine how we will replace his voice or the pain his family must be feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom does our windows, only when they really get bad, and I love him for it.
    Two out of five nights at the cabin I suffered with insomnia and felt trapped without my computer in the middle of the night.
    I don't have a Fit bit, but my brain is nagging me to get back to exercising, while my legs are screaming to stop. I'm "disjointed" too. We'll muddle through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I determined to wash all my windows inside and out (plus the storm windows so 8 surfaces counting the top and bottom panes per window. Even doing only one window a day I only got about halfway and petered out. and who decided we had to take 10,000 steps a day to be fit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good questionon the 10,000. I have 32 surfaces...so much for having a bigh house!!

      Delete
  8. If you figure out how to handle intermittant insomnia, by all means tell me. Even retired, not sleeping at night is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about the intermittent insomnia question. The Earth's magnetic field versus earthquake activity is a study in science, not a new age weirdo thing. If I find myself unable to sleep, no yawning, no feelings of being tired, but instead being awake and alert without any caffeine or other foods to keep me awake, then I know in a short time of hours or days there will be an earthquake of significant magnitude. If I wake up feeling ultra rested and cozy like I'd been kidnapped by aliens, then I know there's been an earthquake. This is years of experience. I can't predict earthquakes with accuracy where and when. With more scientific study, I believe people like me and/or us can help in that regard.

      http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/06/could-pulses-earths-magnetic-field-forecast-earthquakes

      Delete
  9. I sleep fine at night but only occasionally do I nap in the daytime, which might be because I'm well rested. When I'm bored I tend to sleep too much. Thinking of getting the latest version of the Fitbit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have refused to get one of those fitbits because I don't need I hate being nagged.

    I use that recipe for weedkiller. And have had the same kind of search for epsom salts that I just knew I had somewhere. I gave the solution to the woman who watches my house in Florida and now the whole neighborhood uses it.

    I search sleep music on YouTube when I can't sleep and it does the trick for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You would hate me. The weather has perked up, and we are sleeping outside. It's a bit bright but lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No Fitbit here, either, and i am glad. For windows, may i suggest 1/3cup water, 1/3cup vinegar, and 1/3cup rubbing alcohol. Spray on and wipe off with newspapers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is what my mom used many years ago and I will give it another try. Does it have to be newspapers or can I juse rags?

      Delete
    2. Wow... I second Tabor's question -- I really don't like using newspaper though I know it really does the trick. Hate getting my hands that black. :/

      Delete
  13. I only notice dirty windows when company is coming or are already there. They don’t bother me otherwise. I am having company on Tuesday, so I will clean the ones they might notice. It is going to be 105 degrees, so maybe they will just think it is steam.

    My Fitbit is very disappointed with me, but still encourages me with a daily goal that decreases every day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You would bring up windows, so now I can add one more thing to the list of what I’m not getting to — another day. Understand your disjointed sense. My sleep schedule has run amok, which contributes to my issues I expect. Maybe I should get a Fitbit to complicate my life more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Catching up on blog reading...Your Fitbit comment make me laugh.
    I shall not use a fitbit of life guidance. Instead, I'll hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My housekeeper quit cleaning my windows because the dogs just jump back up and rub their noses on the glass. It is a losing battle. Sad, sad, sad about the loss of John McCain. He was indeed a spokesperson for all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't been writing much lately; kind of miss having OD and all my writing friends right there in a nice list that I can go through from top to bottom. I vacuumed our deck (trex instead of wood, but it hadn't been cleaned in ages) in preparation for my quilting group's arrival on Sat. for a BBQ and fabric swap. We're going to make another quilt (I haven't finished the last one!) and I have to go to B'field to pick up my fabrics. We have six sets of sliding glass doors and at least 5 other large windows. Going to make up some window cleaner and give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just don't forget to go buy a pair of Nikes. I so hope you are reading the Washington Post and NY Times this cusp days.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.