Saturday, August 18, 2018

The Quiet Evenings Return


It is mid-August and the osprey have left their nest which sits so empty and quiet on the water. The mother osprey no longer scolds me when I cross the dock. I can see the family of three some evenings teaching their single offspring how to soar above the river and then dip their talons across the mirrored surface before surging up into the blue once again and perching on an overhanging snag. Soon they will be heading south for the winter.

The wren nest is also empty as they must have learned to fly while we were visiting in the city. Grandchildren are back home wrapping up the last few weeks of summer camp. Our company have all finished with their vacations and are now back home across the Pacific ocean. The house is now quiet of much activity and busy meal preparation. Children's games and toys are slowly being returned to their cupboards, sheets are washed. We have some leftovers to finish eating and that leaves me time to wander to the water's edge for sunsets once again at days end as the sun moves around into a center stage position. We can even catch a sunset down in the village when it crosses the bridge.





Sighing with gratitude.



15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful location. It's so nice to have them and then to appreciate the solitude when they're gone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You beautifully described this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a better view of sunsets than we do. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect photos for the end of such a busy time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pictures, very serene after such a flurry of activity. Thanks for sharing them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You love it when they come, you love it when you have your house to yourself. If only there were a way to do both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its always nice to get back to the peaceful life. Lovely calm shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. “Sighing with gratitude “, perfect words to describe that feeling of satisfaction over how things were, are now, and will be tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful words
    The end of summer blends into September. If school began mid September, then the summer would be longer. Changes on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's nice to have busy days wind down. My youngest granddaughter (she's 17) arrived last night with a friend and they will stay til Wednesday. Then maybe I'll be able to give some undivided attention to the models I'm making.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I swear that the younger they are, the more energy they have. I think you are wonderful to give to your family like this. We had ours here for years, but now they are teens or adults with their own families....far far away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love hearing about the Osprey. Guess we are all getting ready for Autumn to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great sunset pics! I especially like the first one. I miss my bridge sunsets. It's the best free show in town. We are winding summer down summer stuff here also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like bliss and of course tranquillity!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not in the least surprised, I too would give a sigh of contentment on seeing these wonderful scenes and being able to contemplate them - and my navel - in peace and tranquility.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.