Tuesday, July 24, 2018

A Long Weekend and We All Survived.

This was one of the best days the whole time!!
A man and his wife came to visit us from Hawaii these last few days. We have known the man for decades and his wife (second) for a little less than that. (His first wife died of cancer and we knew her quite well.) My husband hired the man as a graduate student years ago on a grant. They lived together on a boat in the harbor in Hawaii before their marriages, dived together, did lab research together and my husband probably even saved his life when he had an appendix attack in the middle of the night by carrying him to the car and carrying him into the emergency room. Together they were a good team. The man is a big practical joker and hubby went along on some of the actions including re-editing the Science Building calendar announcements to more risque messages for a few months until the University finally got a lock on the glass-encased board.   I write this just to give you an idea of how close the guys were.

This couple, after moving to Texas, now live in Hawaii and we visited them once a long time ago.  The man has recently retired and they are now doing some travel.  The man, let us call him Joel, is a tall thin cowboy type.  His wife is more the shorter wider version of a country girl (woman).  They came to spend four nights at our house as their first stop heading down the coast to Florida.

Since I had visited them many years ago in Hawaii and hubby had also reminded me of their quirks, I was somewhat prepared.  Quirks?  We all have quirks, right?  Well, on the first dinner I served chicken and rice.  The wife, Molly, said she really liked rice, but they don't eat it much anymore.  When I asked "why", she explained that you had to buy such large bags of rice in the big box discount store that they decided they never could get through them before the rice got too old.  (?)  Yeah, I know.  I did not say anything but watched her plow through her second serving with gusto.  She really liked my coffee and I wondered if they also did not buy coffee because it came in such large bags at the discount store.  (Kona coffee is marvelous.)

They brought in big boxes of cereal, a cooler of food, etc. since they were touring the entire southeastern U.S. via rental car, visiting friends and relatives.  I stowed it away for them.  While they ate most of what I cooked, they did eat cereal for both breakfast and dinner some days.  My husband who had stayed with them a few years ago said that Joel would eat nothing but cereal at every meal while hubby was there.

Joel and his wife liked to go to the local large hotel in Hawaii when they had live bands to dance.  He said they did not go for dinner because it was too expensive, but they did order dessert and then danced.  They stopped going dancing a while back for two reasons last year.  The dance floor got too crowded and they started an annoying $10.00 cover charge.  (Joel has over a million dollars in stocks for retirement.)

Hubby also cautioned me that they were very conservative in their political views and so we had to keep the TV off most of the time.  The only news channel they watch is Fox.  Hubby explained that we watch a number of news channels, but mostly Public Television and BBC since they are the most balanced in news.  Thus, we watched the weather channel and few detective shows.

To further complicate this visit my grandson was due to come stay two nights before they left.  This actually worked out really well, because grandson taught them card tricks and Joel had some good card tricks in his repertoire that he taught grandson.  

To further complicate the visit we had 5 inches of rain the first day, 2.5 the second day and rain off and on the entire rest of their visit!  We did take a few day trips, but they were carefully arranged around the many storms.

To further complicate the visit, Molly came down with a cold the first morning and Joel came down with it a day and half later.  They were brave to soldier on with a few trips, but we actually let them sleep most of the time.

Molly acted like a good-old-girl, but she was smart as a tack and I think she knew where we stood regarding our illustrious leader.  She kept complimenting me on food, the house, our letting them sleep in and I kept wondering if she thought liberals were usually not this "nice."

They left today, and we hugged and smiled and proved that people can get along when we admit we cannot change each other's mind.  I did wonder if they were thinking about how blind we were to the truth, because that was what I was thinking about them.

Oh, you can catch a cold from a conservative, because I am now soothing a scratchy throat with tea.

22 comments:

  1. Not being a liberal or a conservative any more, I know it's possible to be friends when we disagree politically as it happens that I mostly disagree with both sides. It just takes finding other things to discuss. It's unfortunate that more people don't know this and can't let others just be without trying to convince them. I'm glad you all were able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why a couple would shop much in one of those stores is beyond me. It's hard to rationalize the quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracious hosts in spite of political differences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! And good on them for not insisting you turn on that Fox News nastiness. Glad to hear it all worked out, but I'm also glad that everybody knows how I feel and the only people who don't feel the same are family. And I hardly ever see them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All it takes is kindness and respect, which it sounds like all of you have in spades. Hope you get over the cold soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am guessing that you did not tell them about your blog.

    All my friends are long term friends and most are in agreement with me about the present administration. However, with the ones who aren’t, we never speak of politics and keep the conversation about other things (just like we did before 2016). I love them all and I am not going to let 45 divide us also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blog is anonymous. I will not let them know, nor will I reveal their identity.

      Delete
  7. You would be the perfect hostess, Tabor. You have proved that people can have different political leanings and still be nice to each other. That's how I try to be although, I admit I might find it hard in your current political climate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could have written Djan's comment!
    I kept thinking about how uncomfortable I might have been as the host for this visit. Good for you for handling it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kudos to you all. Respect and kindness. We have some "loyal opposition" in our family but we too have managed to stop discussing politics in each other's company.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, of course we can get along with people when the divisive topics are avoided. it's called being polite and gasp politically correct and it's not hard to do for a limited amount of time. I spent 3 weeks with a woman who I would never befriend but because we both avoided certain topics and engaged in friendliness, we got along fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jan said it best....and too I am thinking he wasn't this conservative when he was younger. One of my best friends loves trump. We talk railroads and quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a very log weekend to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has become difficult in these days to keep one's mouth closed. I feel your pain. In spite of it all, you did get a most interesting blog post out of it. Rest up. They might drop in on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:07 PM

    Oh that was so entertaining/interesting reading your post. I had to chuckle because we shop at Costco. I have finally learned to pick up a small box of Minute rice at a regular store! (And I have a habit of my cereal each morning.) And we only turn on Fox News at our house, love Trump, and luckily live in Trump country in our location. I bet you'd like to be a fly on their wall to hear their version of the visit. We have to remember that we are all members of the human race and nothing is greater than freedom to hold our own beliefs. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wierd about the big box thing, if you ask me. As far as the other, I am wildly political and many people know it. But I have friends and family who I care for who have differing views. We talk family quilting, vacations and a great many things and just don't watch the news together. Im sure the same way my parents did when my grandparents were Goldwater fans and they were not.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting account of time with house guests. Big box stores aren’t cost effective for me. Sometimes avoiding some topics with certain people can be best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We must all agree to disagree. Sounds like a nice visit overall. Talk about quirks...if I visit I could eat cereal for three meals and also I put water on my cereal:-) It has to be ice cold water but it is very good and you can actually taste the cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Liberal, I just wanted you to know that I check in every day for a new update.
    Rice milk on my cereal which I am out of. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Takes all sorts to make a world! You were very good hosts. I couldn't help thinking of the Benjamin Franklin quote as I was reading this: "Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." I'm British so was feeling just a little proud of our BBC!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you read Nelly's Garden? I'm charmed by her latest entry and thought you might be too.

    http://nellysgarden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed your post and sense of humour. We too have problems discussing politics with the variety of views in our village but we avoid it if we know they are conservatives and everyone gets along respecting different ideologies. Hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.