Monday, December 14, 2015

Cheer Up, It Is Sure to Get Worse

Yes, I admit that our politics has put me in a funk.  Then we have had the gun disasters that  moved me into more of a funk followed by the  ridiculous response of some of our Presidential candidates  to our country's violence and the big joke that many think  of the global climate change meeting, all of it  causing me to research looking for a corner of  the world in which to live where people are not so crazy.  (There are a few areas, but not as many as one would hope.)  

Anyway, my dental appointment as discussed in the prior post ended with a nice long chat and jokes with the technician who always remembers me and whom I like very much.  We both are interested in photography, which is nice.  And my dentist knows my name as well...so I guess  there is  still  hope.

This did not uplift my mood enough to start hauling the  heavy boxes of Christmas decorations nor the heavy tree upstairs after I got back home. Perhaps it is because yesterdays temps reached 70F that I decided I am just not going to do that this year.  I am going to take a break from it all.  Hubby has not asked about decorating nor seems to notice we are not doing  it.  I did purchase a wreath from my granddaughter's Girl Scout troop and that is not even hung because I cannot find the stupid wreath hanger.  I have TWO!  The evergreen circle, which seems to be shedding worse than any house cat, sits in its lovely glory on the top of the wood stack on the porch waiting for me to do something.

Oh, I haven't written about the best news this month that means my funk is more than valid.  My PC crashed two days ago.  Totally started eating its own files.  I had booted it up and while waiting for my photography software to load I click on the trash icon to empty and it started deleting files like crazy.  I saw that it said it was deleting 39,000 files and immediately interrupted that process, but not in time to avoid disaster.

I took it to the Geek squad as we have paid for annual technical support and they studied it for 24 hours and then called to tell me that it was the Windows OS that had crashed.  They said it rarely happens to Windows 10 but it means a back-up of the personal files they can get at their end and reinstall of Windows 10.  No wonder the W10 upgrade was free.  (They may be wrong because my photography software has been giving me a test of  patience, so we will see.)  They insisted the hardware was fine which was a surprise.  Of course for the software reloads I have to find the CDs, DVDs, and serial numbers, etc.  I am writing this at 1:30 A,M. on my tiny laptop and would be doing the searching now, except I do not think hubby wants to hear me rummaging around at this time of night!

Do not worry.  I will dig myself out of  this funk.  My PC fail is far less worrisome than the state of the world I think and I can do only a little for that, so I will lift my chin and carry on.

19 comments:

  1. I look at my eight grandchildren and listen to their sensible thoughts and opinions and believe they will save the world. That lessens my worries and makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to get in the mood, but I have family coming for two weeks, so I must.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is the first year in a long time when decorating didn't irritate me.
    No idea why.
    Soooo sorry about your PC. Terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find doubling up on my Prozac helps in times like these. Doesn't help the state of the world much but it keeps me out of the fog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are in a bit of a down cycle here, too. No time or energy to spend on decor, so i'm sending Little Girl to friends' houses with ingredients for cookies so she can enjoy the time with them, and their decorations. Hope your Christmas cheer finds you soon, and that your computer woes are cured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. not decorating can be very liberating. you can enjoy the efforts by others and be glad it's not you. and yah, this country is in a real mess. I used to think that when we baby boomers finally died off that things would get better but unfortunately we have taught our children well. if it weren't for my kids and grandkids I'd be scouting for someplace else. this country is going to be in for a world of hurt if ANY of the republican contenders win. I've had to stop reading about all the hatefulness and constant fear mongering and police brutality and the refusal of our politicians and judicial system to make any changes. I'm spending my time in the studio instead trying to create instead of destroy doing what I can to balance the scales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bummer. I had a PC fail this week-end, Saturday morning, when I turned it on to find Microsoft had done an update. How they do this without it being online is beyond me but they did. So I waited and waited and waited through some encouraging notices-- we're almost there, etc. Finally after nearly an hour I realized it wasn't coming back. My husband took it over and closed it down. Up finally, it came together with everything. I wonder though what locked up and is it still waiting for disaster???

    I don't decorate and I don't send cards. Some is we will be traveling back to Oregon this month, but the cards I gave up on several years back. I wrote one last one, said we are on Facebook, join us there, gave our names and our email if they don't do Facebook. For those I didn't hear from again, I think they sent out cards to proselytize and were not that interested in what we were doing.

    I won't say I'll never decorate again but when we leave this house before Christmas and get back to that one just before it, the enthusiasm for it just isn't there. I used to go all out and enjoyed it. When I stopped enjoying it, I realized I didn't have to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suggest to get out of your funk to just take it "One Day At a Time."

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's getting harder and harder to maintain a festive holiday spirit, but it's important that we try. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm focusing only on the simple stuff. With Trump around, it get's harder and harder to stay one day at a time, but it helps. I'm reading through the evening news. My youngest called to say she is seeing vastly better by bed time. That buoyed me up. Doing only the tree and creche helps. Yes, I have two wreath hangers also but managed to find one. Sometimes, it's all I can do to laugh at myself.

    We loaded Win 10 on the laptop. The few times we tried to use it, we and the computer were miserable. We discovered that Win 10 won't run well on older computers. No matter what they say. We have the cranky old thing back to Win 7, and it's humming along. So are we. My photoshop Elements 10 is so far behind the curve, I didn't even try it with Win 10.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the reminder. I'll run a backup as soon as I get home tonight. This kind of disaster is less frequent now that I'm in the mac world, but you never can be too careful.

    Great post equating aging with become gray to the world, too. Probably more a problem with women, but I do find myself become somehow more transparent as I get older, too. Then again, with what the world's become, not sure I want to be noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My worst nightmare! The thought of crashing and loss of files, makes me want to quit before it happens. I ALMOST didn't do the tree and all but t hen found it flowing with ease. Thank God for the five minute tree. it's real and small and has pre-drilled hole at the bottom. I can do the whole thing on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always been told that when things are out of our control to just turn it over in prayer. Put a smile on your face, and trust that this will all pass as has every other disaster facing our country.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's why I buy my electronics from my guy at the store next to the pizza place in town (rather than Best Buy or apple). He supports everything he does, and I can call him almost anytime. Sometimes he charges me; but a lot of things he does for free. Anyway, best of luck with your computer woes ... I know they can be very woeful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Computer problems are so aggravating.

    One suggestion: if you are loading much software from CDs and DVDs, you might be served well by updating some of your programs. Just a guess. Who knows for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We put out what we felt like putting out. Which this year was not much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is what I've been depressed about. I feel your pain! The pics is the wort part. I have a dragon book all written in a program with pics almost ready to to print- but the darn puter crashed n burned windows. Now I can't pay to get that fixed. Gone- until I have the money!
    Hope you are back to normal soon-

    I cringe to think of The Donald as President...

    ReplyDelete
  18. This year
    decorating with tree stopped....
    Wreath on bench approaching cottage
    and wreath on Woodhaven sign,
    plants and candles inside
    and that is all.
    What a relief
    but then I am beyond years
    then all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man. What a drag. I hope the technical problems work out. I HATE having to figure these things out on my own; good thing you have some help. I once deleted all of my pics and hadn't backed them up. :( It was horrifying at the time, but now I have stopped caring.
    Politics these days...I avoid listening to any of it. What a ridiculous circus.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.