Sunday, September 15, 2013

Three Cities

Our first two days after arrival at our hotel and before boarding our ship we relaxed in Budapest, Hungary.  This city a combination of the cities of Buda and Pest and the older community of Obuda.  Much of the city is a World Heritage Site and really, really lovely.  I think it was my favorite city, but we spent most of our time walking and walking and walking there over two days and that might be why.  We felt very safe and did not encounter any situation that made us uncomfortable.


The city is full of professional people:



Poor people who live on recycling:



Striking laborers:


Government employees:


and tourists:


This is not my husband. He would not be caught dead in those jeans or those shoes!.

If we had more time in the remnants of our lives and more money in our bank account and fewer places in the world to still visit we would go back to Budapest for a week and just see it all more closely and eat more of the fabulous food and watch people more.  The strength and patriotism of these people is reflected so well in what they have accomplished after the devastation of recent wars and the evolution following past ancient wars.  First there were the Celts, followed by the Romans, then the Hungarians which were pillaged by the Mongols, followed by 150 years of Ottoman rule eventually to become a capital of the Austro-Hungarian empire (which was no small empire) which then dissolved after WWI and attack by Germany and then Russian rule.  Heroes' Square in Budapest gives just a small clue with statues of various Hungarian leaders across this history.


So much city and so little time!



20 comments:

  1. Wonderful photographs. Excellent report. I had no idea. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, i would need many lifetimes in order to explore thoroughly all the places on Earth i'd love to see, natural wonders and human habitations both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tale of cities in prose and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously! If that guy is going to wear those shoes - he needs dockers on. Soft ones with longer bottoms so that they mostly cover the no sock area.

    And nobody should ever, ever wear those jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I don't have a bucket list....but between the cruise and Budapest, I am beginning to yearn for a new experience. Thank you for this vivid travelogue. My neighbor, a surface designer, is back from three years in Budapest while her husband was in Afghanistan. She loved her time there and said the people were lovely, the food amazing, and she was inspired daily to create art. Definitely think you should go back and spend some more time there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard from other travelers how wonderful that city (as well as Prague) are. Too bad I'll probably never get to see either one.
    Thanks for the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never really considered Budapest before, never spent much time considering Eastern Europe, because I loved Paris so much that my travel dreams tend to take me there. But your pictures are lovely, and make me rethink my ideas a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...and wild cats. I had a friend who taught there for a while.

    Yes, a stunning city as is Prague where you have to have an apartment to get a job....where you have to have a job to get an apartment. LOL My friend taught there too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading this, I looked to see what VRBO had there and found this 1 bedroom 1 bath which is the way I'd want to travel if I desired to go to Europe. I like to go somewhere and stay there as if I lived there which is where VRBO comes in or a similar type rental site. I have no desire to go and be constantly on the move and never did. I want to feel it. This one was owned by someone in the US. Looked tempting even to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing city, I can't even imagine what it would be like to live among those fabulous buildings and all that history. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'd love to just sit and watch the people go by too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great pictures. This is a city I've always wanted to see but so far haven't managed to get there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see you're busy people-watching - one of my favorite sports. I like the cityscape.

    ReplyDelete
  13. People watching is such fun anywhere! It's so pleasant to feel safe when you are wandering - a big plus for Budapest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucky you! So that's where you've been-

    OK you got me picturing Buddah as a pest! What a beautiful bridge shot!
    At least the poor folks can get clothes. The place does look ornate n very clean. I wonder what has survived in the art museums there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures. A cousin has sent home pictures from all over Europe. She and her hubby lived there for many years. I like the pictures, just no desire to go.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to go to Budapest. I like that you took a lot of "people pics;" that really helps me see the city.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Europe has so much intrigue. Thanks for sharing your Budapesting adventures. Loved all the pics. Even the man in ankle jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've missed reading your travel posts, so I'll be back tracking over the next few days to catch up.

    So far...fascinating!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.