Friday, September 13, 2013

Booming with the Baby Boomers

 
There will be time to write about the trip itself and all the wonderful things to which we were exposed, but first, I need to write about the culture of these cruises.  We went on what they call a Viking 'long' ship so named as an homage to the real Viking long ships...although this ship was one of the long rivers ships as well.  These trips are very expensive and so only a specific demographic is going to cross that aluminum bridge from foreign soil to the ship.  The passengers are almost all over the age of 60.  A few are very old and even use canes to get around.  One dear soul had recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer and he plowed through each and every day with much aplomb although he needed a wheel chair for most things.  The passengers are all former or current professionals or from successful well-paying careers.  They are mostly Jewish, Catholic, Presbyterian, and Methodist with maybe just a few other beliefs thrown in.  They are liberal, moderate and conservative.  Most are Canadians or British, a few from New Zealand and Australian, and all the rest from all over the world but mostly the United States.



You usually eat breakfast, lunch and dinner on the ship at family style tables in the terrace cafe or the more formal dining room and thus the culture seems to be getting to know as many people as you can.  Most tables in the dining room seat six to eight.  It is not as artificial as it sounds because after such good food and wine that flows like water you find that the things you share with these people are substantial and the differences few.  Grandchildren, aches and pains, interest in the global economy, history of the world and the area in which you are traveling, and personal experiences are the topics of conversation.  I met a forensic scientist/lawyer who wrote a book on how to investigate a bomb explosion, a forestry scientist who saved a forest in Canada, several computer people who invented their own programs, chemists, a dermatologist, a dentist, an engineer on the Alaska pipe line, lawyers, educators, librarians, etc.  They played golf or violins or chess in their spare time. 
 

They were not shy and were leaders in their communities.  They were upper middle class.  This is not a place that I see myself fitting into...but maybe I do?  Many were great at remembering names...but if your name was not Johan, Malcolm, Moira, Barbara, Bill or Sandy (both a male and female were named that last one) I had trouble calling you by name.  Meeting a dozen or so passengers each day is a challenge indeed even though many of us wore name tags part of the day!

The staff that kept the ship clean and kept the wine flowing were mostly from the Philippines.  They worked 8 months on and 4 months off (the last unpaid I think, although Viking paid for their way home).  The professional staff (engineers, chefs, cruise directors, hotel managers) came from the local area: Germany, Austria, Romania, Slovakia, etc and work six weeks on and two off.  They are the most well-trained staff you will ever encounter.  They politely and with genuine permanent smiles put up with forgetfulness, hearing problems, stress over travel and just plan crankiness in people who were adjusting to time changes.  The staff were really wonderful and worth the recommended tip at the end of the cruise.  The food was delicious and fresh if not exactly 4 star.  Serving 190 people three meals a day does not lend itself to high end food. but the desserts and pastries were phenomenal, and they would take back anything you did not like and bring you something else.  'Malcolm's' wife had them take back the filet mignon twice before it was cooked to her non-pink preference.  (I think the Chef was considering slitting his wrists by then, but he overcooked it like shoe leather for her on the final try.)

The cruise director has a full schedule planned for each day.  You can participate in all or none of the activities.  Some tours are more leisurely for the slow walking set.  We participated in everything and even added three optional tours which meant we were exhausted at the end of each day.  They even had evening musicians, dancers, singers and lectures if you could keep your eyes open after dinner or if you were hyper-active.  Needless to say, 80% of us were in bed by 10:00 P.M.



The rooms were small but large enough to sleep in for a week's trip.  We got the cheapest rooms which meant the window was tiny and above our heads unlike all the balcony or french balcony windows on the decks above.  We reached it after a long walk down the hall on the lowest level and it WAS quiet.

 
We could still see out across the water from a window at the top of our wall and determine if we were moving or at dock.  The stability of the ship is so good that most of the time you could only tell movement by the sound of rushing water or the movement of the tree line past the window.  At the end, we did not regret getting the cheaper room because we were on the sundeck or the front lounge or off the ship most of the time.  The only disadvantage is if you wanted scenery without people you had to search for a little corner on the above levels.

This little dog took hubby's book for a read, but did not lose his place.

X-rated photo of hubby taking a shower.

18 comments:

  1. Wow! I didn't know this type of cruise existed. How exciting. Thankyou for taking us along. Can't wait to hear/see more. I love the way you fill in the caricature of your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think a cruise is for me because I would have a really hard time meeting and conversing with so many people. I did take a raft trip in the Grand Canyon, but I knew at least some of the people before hand. Even so, I was happy to curl up on my cot at night. Mike and I always set up a distance away from everyone else and enjoyed the quiet and the stars (so many!) over head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THis is the kind of cruise i've wanted to go on for a long time -- a smaller ship, with a lot more to do that stop at tourist areas and shop. It sounds like you had a great time, even if you were in need of a vacation at the end of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of fear of poor medical help on board cruise ships, we never opted to travel that way. Also the nightmare tales of persons disappearing at sea and sinking ships weren't very enticing. However your photographs make it appear quite lovely and blissful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like you had a wonderful trip :). i have several friends who love cruises and planned tours. It's not for me but for them it's a great experience. If I was tour inclined, this sounds like something I'd like better than the big ones. What I've heard is that the 'below the decks' people are not treated well at all to give some of those cruises bargain rates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A river cruise sounds peaceful and charming. It sounds more pleasant than the big ship cruises. The lower level rooms have the advantage of a more stable ride than the upper decks if it gets rough. I await your cruise news.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, welcome home. Yes, I thought of you as upper middle classlessness. :)

    This is much like the better full sized cruise ships I read about all the time. Yes again, G and I always take the cheapest inside cabin anywhere.

    REally looking forward to the cruise report. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool, now I can get the full effect ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool, now I can get the full effect ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your stateroom looks identical to the ones we have had on the two Nation Magazine seminar cruises we took on Holland America. We got a free upgrade to an outside cabin with balcony door on the first cruise! That was fabulous. In our own cozy nest with the water rushing by.
    We had similar experiences with staff. They were from Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines and were almost all men. It could be irrelevant, but aside from enjoying having decent work they are culturally inclined to be good to old people.
    I'm glad you had such a good time. I like cruises, myself, and am saving them for the inevitable time when they will be the best way for me to get around.
    We have a lot of cruise ships coming into Hilo. I prefer them to having big hotels here. Passengers can come to the Big Island, enjoy the ambience, and leave the place pretty much as it's always been.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for all of this information. Feel as though I was with you this early morning.
    Sounds like the type of cruise I might like if I ever went on one.
    So much I could do at this time of my life and think about it
    but just do not want to leave my cottage in the woods :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. It sounds wonderful. I've never been one who wanted to go on a cruise but this sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, lucky you to be on board with only 190 other souls! My recent cruise, my first, was with almost 2,000 folks. Remembering names was impossible.

    You'll have to let us know where you stopped, etc. etc. And did the ship have a spa? I spent a LOT of time in ours. We also opted for the cheapest room and it was just fine, since I hardly spent any time in there. We had no windows at all -- make for a nice dark sleeping space!

    http://my86400sec.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a good time, and that's what is important. I have no desire to take a cruise. Need the wide open nature, here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had a couple opportunities to take a cruise and passed both times. Now I'm married to someone who prefers land. :) Sooo... I'm continuing to work on him because I want to experience a cruise before I leave his earth! Or, I may have to go with "the girls."
    Thanks for the thorough report on the cruise ship. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely pics....hehehe...loved the x-rated pic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so hope the ten folks who were shot will be ok. There's no details here tho CNN has a good history of the place. What a mess. I'm still following the parbuckling of the Costa Concordia....as one noter says, it's a bit like watching paint dry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We took two Viking River cruises back to back with a week in between, which we spent in Amsterdam and Paris. The first trip was out of Amsterdam, the Tulips and Windmills Cruise, in April, and the second was on the Seine, from Normandy to Paris in early May. Both were wonderful, although our ship was smaller and less well appointed than yours. The culture was much as you described.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.