Friday, January 13, 2012

Good News but Mostly Bad

Well, I have gotten the results of my X-ray and MRI.  My ankle was healing as I was taking long walks, but there were days when it felt stiff or a sudden movement would create deep pain.  I wanted to have the option to get back into yoga, aerobics and other exercise.  I am not a lean mean exercise machine, but I go through phases of loving or needing it before I become a slug at intervals.  This interval has been WAY to long.

The results are that there is a small piece of bone that has broken from some part of my ankle, one of my ligaments is torn and I have some bone edema (swelling...maybe due to another tiny microscopic fracture.)  After hearing the report (via the phone and read in total technical terms by my idiot doctor with little sympathy in his voice).  He seemed relieved to have to make a referral.  I have been referred to a podiatrist who will look at the X-ray and MRI results and tell me what has to be done.  I currently have no idea what he will say and I am sure that it will take more than a week to get an answer.

I do know that my GP said to hold off on any exercise until I talk to the podiatrist.  Egaw!

It amazes me how in this time of my life I am thinking impatiently of all the time I will lose if they have to operate or do something invasive.  I do not fear the pain, but I hate the thought of mobility loss during what time I have in this life.  I hate thinking of having to wait for a healing process as I sit in a chair or on a bed.  Clearly I have no patience for this and that is why I tried to avoid the situation in the beginning by avoiding the doctor.  Please don't lecture me.  I know that I am stupid and stubborn, but for many people (like some of our GOP candidates) these are good traits.

Well, got that off my chest.  I feel guilty in saying this to anyone close to me, and my blog readers are a great sump for stuff like this. 

Please note that I get around very easily and can do most things I have done in the past before the injury.  This could be much worse, and I am fully aware that I have so much to be thankful for.

16 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, it never fails to amaze me that when I'm told something like this (and I've been seriously incapacitated before) I immediately want to exercise -- or start my daily walking again --- or ride my bike (that I was only on ONCE last Summer). LOL I'm sorry you're faced with possible surgery. These just seem to be 'trying' times. Sending healing thoughts... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me a sump any day. I love it. Vent some more if you want. Stupid doctor; what kind of healer talks to people like that?

    I dislike swimming, but maybe you don't. Can you go for a swim without kicking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same feelings last fall when I had to stop walking for a while. Me who hates exercise in any form. I think people our age fear not being able to move on our own. We fear anything that might take away our independence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear your frustration...and I understand. Be well dear one and I hope your report is a good one.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand
    It is also very difficult for me to
    take time to heal - also.
    Hope you are better then I have been in the past.
    Thinking of you.
    Glad you can express online. Now that my children are reading my sharing - It has caused some frustration in giving me toatl freedom with my words :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer, I hope you heal soon and well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be putting my foot up and snapping my fingers for services...you have to seize these kinds of opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah well, now you know the boundaries of the situation. If you are told to be sedentary for a while, here's your chance to back things up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know the podiatrist? I have not had good luck with them, why not an orthopedist? They deal with bones, ligaments and soft tissue. I never can mind my own business, I wish you the best with your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we just don't like to be told we can't do something at our age...It takes our control away, I guess. Hope the podiatrist can give you a shoe insert that can help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. RYNRMN: LOL Hey, it was a far far better thing than ..... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good traits? Heck, they seem to delight in them....

    Good luck. And get a new doctor. Bad enough to have to go. It shouldn't be to an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel sorry for the situation now, but am glad, on the other hand, that you have a place like here on the Internet to clean up your mind. Readers of "One Day at a Time" are all on your side. Hope you won't have to go through a surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One can be thankful and whiny at the same time. I would not like facing a drag on my physical energy at this time in my life either. I also avoid doctors and for much the same reason you do - sometimes they make me feel worse than better! Life soup cans while you sit and walk when you can...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow this is familiar. I have been struggling since the end of July with a similar injury. I was told at the time that there's a bone fragment present on the xray but that it appeared to be old. Still, I have one spot on my foot that will not stop hurting. I can so commiserate about the time lost with immobility. I hope you heal quickly after diagnosis and treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes...I'm sure he was glad to make the referral...in his monotone voice.
    Don't jump off the deep end yet, tabor. You need more info. It will take time to get it. The waiting...the not knowing...the lack of control. None of these cause you to "loose" time. You're living in time rite this very minute . Take care of you.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.