Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Taking the Plunge

As some of you geek types may know I have been having some difficulty with the dwindling storage space in my free account on Pica$a (adding characters rather than real letters to the words in this post following another bloggers wisdom to avoid search engines) that G00gle has allowed for my blog.  I blog anonymously and therefore do not really care if these blog photos are preserved in large format or various formats or able to be batch downloaded later.  That type of storage requires more research.  I do currently back up photos on a separate hard drive and on DVDs before deleting them from my current PC.  But maybe I should think about storing them somewhere on the "cloud" as the third location.  I just want to keep on blogging and sharing for now.  Therefore I am paying Pica$a $5 annually for up to 20 GB storage.  This should hold me for quite a while and continue my ability to link to photos without having to start some new process that my aging brain will find difficult to grasp.  (I many times feel like Tom Cruise clinging to the front of a rapidly speeding freight train in that movie of his with the technology changes that happen even as I post!)

I have to consider, as Butler and Bagman did, whether printing out various posts on good old archiving paper is worth it.  That is a lot of ink and paper and a lot more money than $5.  But there are also posts that perhaps should make it into a paper archive journal in the event that those who follow in my blood line wonder how and why they got so strange!  Also, my grandchildren may be amused by events that we shared that they had long forgotten.

At any rate, $5 annually seems a small price to pay to continue to share my "marvelous photography."

Heading out for my ankle MRI late this afternoon.  Please wish that they find very little scar tissue or current tears in my ligaments so that I have no more excuse to just sit and not exercise.  I need very little reason to keep my on my bum these days, and we gave ourselves an X-box for Christmas to be a better motivator to go downstairs to the basement.

By the way, my new passion is the British TV series Downton Abbey.  Just re-watched the entire first season and going to watch the new episode this evening if I get back early enough.  It is a bodice ripper for the thinking generation and actually has a cast with some older than 35.

19 comments:

  1. $5 a year sounds pretty good to me.

    Good luck with the ankle. I messed mine up in the summer and still feel a lot of pain at times.. pretty good other times. I hope you get the green light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. Glad to have the info. I'm currently struggling with what to do with photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. u r in my prayers..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the ankle. I have heard so many good things about Downton Abbey that I want to get it from Nexflix very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RYN: I have no idea the funding, but no, it will probably be trailered around to the museum. The last one they built, the Californian, was built on the man made beach at the same island. They launched it directly into the bay. This one....I should ask about the launch next time I go. How dismally ignorant I am.

    I do as Bagman et al does. As a host, I use HP's Snapfish which asks you to buy some of your pictures once a year. I do delete those I don't reuse with some regularity. G uses Flicr...the best quality online host.

    I drag and drop my journal to a disc....ditto photos, and I keep copies both on this HD and on an external HD. I do all this knowing that by the time I die, technology will have changed yet again. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: Fingers and toes are all crossed in hopes you will be freed to roam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the ankle. I keep trying to consolidate all my pictures, but in the end it will probably be the old scrapbooks that survive the longest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. $5 per year isn't too bad, I guess. to keep your precious memories. Wish you a good luck with your ankle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, good old paper and ink for those approaching 80 -- like Jerry and me. It will all be there in a cardboard box that someone will have to look into after I die. If they decide to throw it out I'll never know.

    I hope the ankle turned out to be sufficiently healed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just reading about 'Downtown Abbey'. I am going to download and watch it. I love British humor.

    Sending good wishes that the MRI results give you the go ahead. I hope you enjoy your Wii.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops. I just assumed you had dropped the "w". Okay. I will perform a search on Downton! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah Downton - what a delight. Totally captivating. Hope the ankle is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your ankle is mended well enough to get out and about on it, but you'll always have to be careful about it as you wouldn't want to re-sprain it.

    I watched Downton Abbey for the 1st time, jumping straight into season 2. Loved it. John hated it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cloud storage...check out smugmug. We are using it for MILs photos. (She died 2years ago). Thousands of them. It costs abit more. But worth it. It will be good to get active once again---won't it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope all was good news on your ankle. Saying a prayer right now, even if it may be too late for that particular need :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm afraid to have photos only in one place too, so they exist in Picas$a, on disks, and on another photo program on my computer. Perhaps this weekend I will delete some of them in hope that my computer will speed up a bit. Perhaps I shall look into the cloud...

    Keep meaning to tell you how much I enjoy that little bird on your header - it makes me smile every time I come here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you'll be in running shoes again soon.

    When do they stop you uploading photos? I haven't decided what to do with mine yet. I also seem to have quite a few doubles on Pic.asa. No idea why.

    Perhaps that's a resolution for me: tidy up my computer and my pics.

    Good luck with the writing, let us know how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. RYN: It's fun but oh so endless to scan these masses of photos. You will laugh, but I am being super paranoid with my filing system with these shots I'm scanning now. taking great care. I don't have dates on many of the family shots, but I have dates on all mine. If I remember to label all shots. Some of the first ones aren't marked. LOL I'm three boxes down now, and only five more to go. Did I mention then there were G's family photos? lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am using local storage to back up my pictures, but am considering a cloud option as well. I would hate to lose them!

    My prayers are with you for no more issues with your ankle. I had a booted foot for almost a year and was SO GLAD when I could just walk again!

    My sister got me in to Downton Abbey last week and I watched the first season on the computer then caught the season opener. I am HOOKED! :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.