Sunday, September 25, 2011

Still Spinning



Trying to slow down now that I am back home.  Bunch of deadline mailings, unpacking, laundry, shopping (since my fridge is still empty from the hurricane visit), emails, land line voice mails, fall stuff and I still have not found time to get outside and check the yard and potted plants.  I hope sometime soon to look at a calendar!

Also trying to get back into the rhythm of being at home.  I am still in rock and roll mode and home is operating on smooth jazz.  Hubby is leaving for a long trip in two days, so trying to get ready for that as well!

I like visiting my relatives every few years.  I do not look forward to it, but once I am there, I realize how important it is to keep in touch with them and how much I do love them with all their idiosyncratic behaviors.  It is so true that ageing hardens your habits and opinions to phobic behavior and I wonder if I appear the same way to them.  They are a mixed troop of conservatives, liberals, shoppers, do-it-yourselfers, rich, poor, hard workers, indoor and outdoor people.  Fortunately disagreements are kept to a minimum when they get together, so they would not make a good situation comedy on fall television.

Weather in Colorado and Utah was lovely with a little more rain than one expects in high desert country.  I took lots of great photos and I will share just a few.

I am still attempting to catch my emotional breath and absorb it all while I push through the errands and tasks of re-opening a house that has been closed for several weeks.  Greeted by a baby black snake at the garage door; just missed running over a tiny box turtle on the driveway; watched a ground-hog devour the clover in the front yard as I drank morning coffee; and am amazed at how many little spiders I keep finding in the corners and fabrics of my house.  It does not take long for the woods to take over once you are gone.  Downed fences and trees still remain for clean-up.

I have been able to catch up on about 60% of everyone's posts, but must admit I cannot finish it all...so if something important happened in your lives (that you want me to know about) let me know in your comments.  You are, after all, my other idiosyncratic family.

(Photo above was taken from my brother's mountain get-away in Colorado.)


10 comments:

  1. I wish there was something interesting to tell you, but alas, I am in the same old mode here - boring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock and roll mode -- I like that. I know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Colorado and Utah...although I've just sampled the very southern part of both states. Someday, I want to pack my pjs in a motorhome and head to the southwest for an extended meander. I do hope you enjoyed every minute (sounds like there were a number of varied...er...experiences...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is some getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely picture. No problems entering here. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thought of all the living creatures ready and waiting to take over is quite a thought. Hope you stop spinning soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to have you back, Tabor.
    Once the husband has gone off on his travels you can get down to an orderly existence at your own speed. It doesn't all have to be done in a day, does it?

    Take time to reacquaint yourself with your own home and its (wildlife) inhabitants.

    Rock and roll mode? What's that? It's years since I last moved at anything but a snail's pace. Country living does that for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi There, We are back --after taking a few weeks off of blogging... Looks like you and I both were traveling...

    We went to visit G's daughter and hubby in Buffalo --and then headed home the LONG way, doing some water falling and touring along the way. It was fun...

    Can't wait to see some of your photos from your trip.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I do like being part of another idiosyncratic family! Thanks for your kind comment on my site - it's nice to be able to come here with getting a warning in red flashed on my screen - my MAC did not like something you said... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I am somewhere around 10 years older then you - just want to stay home. My life not very exciting anymore but my childrens keep me interesed in life outsifed the woods. Immediate family about the only family I care to be touch with.
    The spiders I understand. Never had them before and I am always vacuming - so guess it is what happens in the Fall.
    Love your pictures and stories.
    Happy you are home.
    Missed you....

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.