Monday, July 04, 2011

Friends and the Roles We Play


Here is another take on people that help us.

I first met Oscar about 4 years ago when we were putting in our lawn to this new house. (The lawn in the photo looks much nicer than it is...mostly mowed weeds.) I had already started a few flower beds and it was early fall and I was attempting to clean out some of the areas around the larger plants.  I could tell he was interested in my work and so I attempted a conversation in simple English.  Oscar spoke Spanish but was able to give me some advice on some of my plants as he assisted with the lawn.  Perhaps there was an ulterior motive to his attention, because later that month when we wanted to move some larger plants my husband gave him a call and asked if he worked outside the landscape company.  Fortunately, he said he could work on the next Sunday.

Later we started that large paving project which disrupted that blue bird nesting I had written about.  Oscar and his brother and other workers spent over a week in our front yard tearing up the concrete sidewalk, aligning the driveway, installing pavers and putting down a composite to hold them.  They had to re-work some drainage and adjust a retaining wall.  The supervisor, who was not Spanish but an overweight good ole' boy, rarely moved his butt from the tiny earth moving bulldozer as he provided advice to the three laborers through arm waving and calling out.

Oscar was smart, followed instructions exactly, even gave some good advice and we ended up with a lovely driveway.

Over the years Oscar has been an irregular Sunday visitor to our home whenever we needed help with a project that hubby could not do alone but which was too small a project for the landscape firm.  He moved enormous plants, reset brick edgers, moved tons of earth, set up a small patio beneath my arbor and helped repair our deer fence.  He is always gracious and his English has gotten better.  Oscar has a generous smile and is a handsome man; I have watched him go gray.  He has two daughters the age of our President's that he has to leave back in Mexico with their mother for months at a time while he works in the United States.  He works at the whim of the landscape company.  Today he told us that they are laying him off for three weeks because of the slow down in demand.  He cannot afford to live here without a paycheck so is returning to his family during that time.  I cannot help but think how expensive this must be.  Expensive in monetary ways as well as expensive in personal ways.  His daughters have grown up and he has been far away most of the time.  He has had to live in a foreign land to earn money so that they can go to school, have clothes and a home.  I wonder how much they miss him.  I wonder if they will realize the sacrifices that were made when they have families of their own.  This lifestyle is somewhat like the lifestyle that military families must face.  Long days, perhaps even dangerous days, far away from their precious families.  Except our military does get benefits in terms of retirement and health care.  Oscar only gets an irregular paycheck.  I am sure (?) that the company would hire local laborers if they could find people who were willing to work under such arbitrary conditions and at such a low pay level.

I get a deep seated guilt (such is the disease of the liberal heart) when he is here.  We pay him slightly more than the landscape company and he is happy for the work, but I cannot help but feel uncomfortable in my safer lifestyle.  I feel like I am in one of those Hollywood movies and I do not fit the part, or if I am in denial...I do not like how well I fit the part.  I am blessed to celebrate the 4th in this country when I see the struggles other countries face trying to determine their path to a form of democracy that fits their culture and economy and with citizens that willingly come to our country for any job because they are aware of our unique freedoms and opportunity.






13 comments:

  1. Can relate to your sharing. Getting settled in my cottage and at an older age I have to seek out help. Have been fortunate to find willing workers. Still feel a little guilty at times as I still have more then my helpers. In the past I took many a guilt trip with the larger homes, swimming pool and 3 cars sitting in the drive. At this age no longer playing that role and guess it is natural when we have good help and we have much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am almost recalling a line from one of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Series (Alexander McCall Smith)--something about it was rude of those who could afford to hire some to do their housework to do it themselves, depriving someone in need of the work and the income.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you should feel guilt over societies ills. You are doing something good for Oscar and should be proud of the fact that you are helping him.

    We can't cure the world's ills or help all the oppressed, but to give a job to a needy person is a contribution and you are doing your part for one family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds a little like gardener and me. He comes only when it is possible to work in the garden, or when I have a job around the outside of the house; but I am not the only one to employ him. Could you not find other people to hire him regularly and between you and the landscapers you could ensure that he always has a job.

    He sounds like the sort of person who can turn his hand to many jobs besides gardening and landscaping.

    Round here, he would be worth his weight in gold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel, as I am in a similar position with our lawn people and the house cleaners, all from Mexico. They have an excellent work ethic and do things that many Americans are simply unwilling to do (or to do well). I feel for those who have to come here and work for men who exploit them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oscar's life is difficult. With its hardships, it is also a lesson in the spirit of human endeavor and motivation. Even with his instalments in America, he remains a man with a smile.He shuttles back and forth between Mexico and the States. He does it for living, for a better life that would come eventually. I cannot help admire him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gave me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes....nodding my head. We don't have an Oscar, but we do have a large group of illegals that wait just over the hill outside the Home Depot. I drive a pickup. I know that seeing my pickup raises hopes with those masses of workers. Some wave, other;s call out, and I feel beyond guilty. I no longer drive that road when I go over the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 1st job when we moved to OR was as an ESL teacher in the public schools, where we asked no questions about 'legal status' and so I became intimately acquainted with the issues of illegal immigrant labor. The plight of so many immigrant families is just what you describe: they have to live split up for much of the year. Our economy absolutely depends on having their cheap labor, but when it comes to educating their children, allowing them to have driver's licenses, or god forbid-health care-much of our citizenry acts aghast. Few people stop to think about the lives of those who harvest our crops, move our irrigation equipment, wash our vehicles, hustle in the kitchens of fast food places, etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this story in the NYT awhile back. It took place about an hour from where I live: "The Tire Iron & the Tamale."

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/magazine/06lives-t.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Tabor, we feel like this so often when we hire tradesmen. Our life is not here affluent by any means, but they have so little and work so hard for the scant pay they do receive, no pension or benefits, no job security. This is not the way things should be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi There, I like to skip around on your blogs --picking and choosing which ones to read and comment on!!!! Fun Fun!!!!

    This is an interesting post... When I wrote about FREEDOM on the 4th, one of my commenters (from another country) said that we Americans truly don't understand our freedom... He is so right. Guess we all need to experience life in another country (unlike the USA) in order to appreciate what we have. We are spoiled, greedy, selfish ---and on and on and on.... What a shame.

    There are many Oscars around who want to work... BUT--there are as many lazy Americans who feel 'entitled' to the good life without putting forth any effort.... What has happened to us????? My sermon for today!!!!! ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.