Friday, July 01, 2011

Helping Hands

I was thinking about the responses to my last post. If you are a handyman, it is hard to sit back and watch others do the work when you cannot. First, you have standards that are probably higher, second, you get pleasure out of seeing your accomplishments, third, you also like the puzzle and challenge, and fourth, you have a meaningful role in society. Sitting and watching sort of takes the air out of your tires.  When this opportunity is taken away, it can be hard to age gracefully and let others take over. I think it is much like the woman who was the great cook in the family having to turn over the job to others on holidays because she can no longer do it all.  No one can bake or roast as well as her, but we have to gracefully let others find their space.  While most of us like our independence and refuse to be waited on we should perhaps read Tuesdays with Morrie and try to emulate his generosity of spirit.

Another comment to the post was a question about helping in general.  The man I wrote about had had a very serious heart operation about two years ago and was bedridden for a while.  I brought over food and offered to food shop or stay at home so wife could get out of the house.  So, yes, these are neighborly contributions, and these are very important.  Perhaps, because almost anyone can do them, they do not seem as significant to me.  A silliness on my part, perhaps.

I just tend to be more impressed by the person who fixes my computer, my car or my toaster.  The one who looks at the corner of my deck and figures out the leak issue and then fixes it.  The one who can do that boring and frustrating stuff.

(Oh wait!  A really cool thing I once did when we lived overseas was upholster two seats for a homemade airplane for a handyman friend whose wife was an excellent seamstress but back in the U.S. for a month.  That was back when I could actually sew pretty well.  I was nervous doing it, but happy for a job reasonably well done.  The sewing machine and I now do not always speak the same language. )





8 comments:

  1. LOL! I don't think I am even on the same planet as a sewing machine! You are awesome! I can see you writing a column for a newspaper or magazine about plants or birds or wildlife. I can also see a recipe book as you can whip up some pretty awesome dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, what we perceive to be minor actions of help and support are priceless to the recepients. I think we will do ourselves good by remembering occasions when we have been able to help others. Not to gloat, just to smile that we were useful..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to add to my comment on your last post. Since Ron was not able to fix the refrigerator, I was taking care of the repair guy and hearing about how this would probably cost between 400 & 700 dollars to fix. Ron came upstairs and stood by the door and mentioned to the young fellow that he (Ron) used to run the refrigeration shop aboard ship. Suddenly there was a chance the part would only cost $15. Ron may not have been able to fix it but is presence sure made a difference when the guy found out he knew something about the repairs. That also made Ron feel like he contributed to to project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful you can sew
    You are talented and stay
    very busy
    Love reading your post
    My mother and grandmother were excellent at sewing projects
    I plan homes and gardens
    and dig in the dirt...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to sew...my kids well remember the matching outfits...LOL
    Any help you give another is of value. If not for what you did, but that you tried.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to sew all the time when my kids were small, but now, my machine just sits in a corner - waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it often the case that we do not appreciate what we ourselves can do and unfavourably compare it with what others can do. Don't forget, these people are professionals, a plumber, computer expert, electrician
    has had training and years of practice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mentioned one of my favorite books, "Tuesdays With Morrie". I loved the book and loved the movie.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.