Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hummingbird Moth

(I was supposed to post this on MY OTHER blog...but got mixed up and am too lazy to move all the html code...so here it is!)

This is Hemaris thysbe (at least I think that is what is is) commonly known as the Hummingbird moth.  Got these photos while he was hanging out at the dianthus pot on the back of my deck.  They turned out nicely, so, of course, I had to share even if in reduced pixel size!



There is not much known about this moth, except one site said the scientific name was based on the Pyramus and Thisbe  love story where Pyramus finds Thisbe's blood stained scarf assuming she had been killed and thus impales himself with his own sword.  The Hemaris part is based on "Haemorrhagia as a reference to blood-like coloration" 

I also found this quote  "The courtship behavior of hawk moths is very complex. It often involes pheromones, love songs and aerobatic flights. This type of behavior has been noted in the cream-lined hawk moth from Asia, and is currently being studied in the North American species. However, many different hawk moths, such as the ocellate hawk moth, also found in Asia, do not have these behaviors. Rather, they tend to have broader wings and fly more clumsily. They have no tongues, do not feed as adults, and show little courtship behaviour. (Kitching, 1999)"

I see this often in the summer and sometimes people think they are a stinging insect because of their size...not so.

17 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't move it. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A most interesting insect. I love the feathery tail and the eye that looks like that of a fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen one. Wonder if they are in my area. But then so much I am not aware of in this small garden. When washing dishes I sometimes see something different out of the window and camera is not handy:)
    I am always learning from you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are great pictures and also some very interesting information. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite the interesting creature.. and some fine pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen one either and your photo is almost as good as seeing it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Hummingbird Moth is beautiful but turns into the Horn Worm or a bright green caterpillar with a horn the protrudes from it's backside. It has a voracious appetite and eats tomato plants. Causing a lot of damage. Just thought you should know. Ha!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I saw this insect I would have thought it would sting me. I would have given it a wide berth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of this moth. So happy when and how you educate us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent photos! I've had these several summers in the past and I love watching them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what we do for love. I love the photos - the moth living in the beauty cast from the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have those here too - isn't it an amazing little creature?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting pictures of the hummingbird moth, Tabor. I am not sure I have ever seen one. Maybe I have --and didn't pay any attention to it...

    You asked about ordering Irises. We order ours from Breck's --and have had good luck with them.. You can google Breck's and they'll send you some catalogs. (OR--maybe the catalog you have is from Breck's!!!)

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a crazy-looking creature: part moth, part bird, part lobster!

    Too bad about the tomato plants however:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. trust pheromones to be involved; they have a lot to answer for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, your note leaves me smiling. I find making sonnets fun. Often I can't find words to express what I need to say. That word "Hoarding" I thought of while driving somewhere. With my Swiss cheese brain, I consider it a miracle that I remembered the word by the time I got home much less found a place for it. Some folks do Sudoko, I find writing a sonnet just as intensively satisfying tho it may take me weeks to weave the words into place a bit at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter, MB at Frequent Infrequency, took pics of one last fall which I looked up to find out what it was- They are cool! She had a yellow Tiger swallow-talied butterfly the same post also.

    I like the trivia you found.
    The Rypo "Gummingbird Moth" was posted on ESR two versions ago I think... ("Well they don't have teeth!") Just puts a silly visual of a moth gumming a skinny bird leg in my head...
    Great pic

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.