Saturday, May 21, 2011

Essential Things You May Have Missed Out On

It amuses and amazes me everyday how I have become that old person who looks back on life and wondered how I ever got through it without all the aids, gadgets, networks that are available today.

I raised two delightful and complicated children back then.  We did not have seat belts in cars and my friends who smoked were allowed to smoke while we went somewhere.  Miraculously my children survived both these dangers.  I unknowingly fed them foods in containers lined with carcinogenic plastics or probably sprayed with dangerous pesticides.  School lunches included the vegetable ketchup to balance the repast.  Abandoned refrigerators and mean dogs were the greatest fear in neighborhoods.

Because I am a technologically savvy grandma, I purchase gifts from my grandchildren via that new magical mall, the Internet.  These companies then automatically assume I need paper versions of their inventory as well and my mail box begins to regurgitate colored catalogs of items beyond my wildest dreams.

There are gates and locks and containers that even an enterprising raccoon would have difficulty surmounting.  Children now have their own luggage when they travel, and sunglasses and helmets when they are out riding in that dangerous but very comfortable stroller.  With the added cup-holder and side music speakers, as Fran Lebowitz says, they are never leaving that stroller.

In the latest version of one of these missives offering "thoughtfully selected products," I have the opportunity to purchase a Potty Watch that alerts small children with lights and music to remind them to go to the bathroom at preset intervals...I cannot help but think of a child who would become dependent on this and could not go to the bathroom without the alarm...you know, that idiot CEO at the board meeting!  I could buy a pillow that supports good posture in small children when they sleep...unless they sleep sideways across the bed as does my grandson #1 or with the pillow over their head as does my granddaughter.

There is even a strange device that one uses to remove mucus from the noses of little ones who have not mastered the art of blowing.  The mother puts it against the child's nostrils and then puts a little plastic tube in her mouth and proceeds to suck on the tube.  The text assures us that the mucus goes into a tissue and not the mother's mouth.  It still looks very unsettling in the photo (above) of mother and child using it.  The real clincher is that the publisher claims it has been used by European parents for years.  (They probably write in the European version that it has been used by North American parents for years.)

How did our baby "animals" survive without this stuff?  What new wonders will be available to my grandchildren when they begin to raise their little ones?  All of these do not belay the real dangers of global climate change, air pollution, water pollution, crime, drugs and daily stress that our little ones have to battle.






15 comments:

  1. Ha! Ain't that the truth!! The items for kids nowadays, boggle the mind!!
    Whatever happened to jumping ropes, ball and jacks, and bicycles??
    Sigh!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way in HELL would I use that mucus remover! Who sits around thinking up these products, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did any of us survive without the benefits of the web?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you. We had few of these "baby saving" devices and yet, we raised three very healthy, happy children. It's too bad that many of today young parents will never know how it can be done without all those costly items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yuck....
    I am just grateful my children survived me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter responded to a Facebook question about what her mom did that would get me arrested these days--no seat belts, riding in the front seat, no bike helmet, etc. I pointed out that she survived. Wise@$$ that she is, it is a wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not to mention the stress of never being allowed to play, to get dirty, to climb a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That nose tube thing is gross. SOOO gross!!! Eeeeuuw. Buy your grand kids hankies and be done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where can I get me a Potty Watch!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I raised kids in similar conditions. N no bike helmets either!
    Both of my girls swore by the "Baby Einstien" dvds for their infants- We just had Sesame Street n Smurfs...

    Thast ube thing does look yucky...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Couples are having fewer kids these days and it seems they want to raise the "perfect" child. They read too much about how to do that instead of unleashing them on their natural surroundings with common sense care. It's all too sterile and as far from perfect as they can possibly get.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My niece and her husband built a new home and had to wait an extra 90 days to move in while "professional child proofers" made the home ready for their three toddlers. We used to place plastic covers in the electric sockets and call the place child proofed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4:05 PM

    I see that none of us will be giving the gift of a mucus remover. And, I hope I never get to see one in use!

    ReplyDelete
  14. RYN: Yes, please take a photograph of the ikat piece. I so love fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So true. Everything is Bryce's house sings when I bump near it, even his potty! I originally told his parents all I would need to babysit is a rocking chair and internt acess.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.