Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Holding On to the Center


I think that the one thing I search for as I age and find I actually have time to think  and search is the "Center  aka Balance."  I look for that middle ground where everything can clearly be seen, where, if I stand straight and tall with my arms out wide, I feel in complete and peaceful balance.  That place, where, if I stare straight ahead, I can see into those loving eyes of my family and read their minds and accept what is revealed...changes and all.  That place where I know I am home and there is nothing hidden or unknown that can take me by surprise.  That place that is safe and pure and honest and where I am not looking over my shoulder at the mess that is catching up with me, or the old age that is catching up with me, or that bundle of guilt that I keep in a dark locked trunk behind the shed door...the bundle that shows how much time in my life I have wasted and all the mistakes I have made.  It is that place where the future is only obvious change and not unnecessary challenge.

Truly retired means there are no longer any excuses for not being in the Center of your life.  Even if you are fighting a serious disease or supporting the fight of a medical challenge of a loved one...you finally have some time for concentrating on the Center.  Actually you must dedicate time to remain in the Center or you are of no use to anyone off-center.  In retirement there is no longer a career or children to pull me off-Center.  I always admire those people who find the gift in everything that happens to them.  Not the sugary frosting top bow...but the solid center gift of what happens to them and with a gentle sigh they can see and accept that it happened and realize it is there to make them pause and to grow to become more solid and able to fit in between it all.

On a graph sent to me by my financial adviser (yep, I do have one of those) the Center is that place in the middle of the graph where the Y and X meet.  This magic happens between the far flung four corners on this graph which are labeled Lower Risk-Higher Return, Higher Risk-Higher Return, Lower Risk-Lower Return and finally Higher Risk/Lower Return.  The only honest place and sure thing on this graph is Lower Risk-Lower Return.  The most attractive place is Higher Risk-Higher Return but there is not much air in this corner of the graph whether representing financial life or daily living and it is a place you cannot stay long but probably should visit briefly for the thrill every once in a while.  (It is funny how this graph replicates life.)

I live in a culture of excess with lots of glittery lights and magnificent smells, and addictive sounds and therefore, trying to find the Center with the coals warm glow and to remain balanced as I am made stronger by fire is a daily challenge.  It is like yoga and meditation...a most peaceful and rewarding place that allows you to forget about all the corners of your world, past and present, but it takes lots of work to get there and to remain there and most of all to just let go of the idea that you must be on a path to somewhere else.  The only place I must be is right here and right now.

10 comments:

  1. Wow. I never thought about those little boxes that the adviser makes you check off...Low Risk/Low Return...High Risk/High Return as a metaphor for life, but I believe that you are quite right.

    Where is the Just Right place? The right amount of risk and the perfect return? I suppose it is different for each individual, and it changes as we age. Because you think about this, and because you seem to practice moderation, I bet that you will be close to center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have described the centering thing beautifully. In fact for me this is The Best Post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post hun!! Wonderful!
    Yes! Balance is a wonderful place to be...and to know it is a place is the beginning of wisdom
    Hugging you
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post... I try so hard to keep a balance in my life--but I just seem to be busier than I've ever been... In retirement, I thought I'd have much more time.... HA...Tain't so!!!!!!

    Guess if I'm out of balance anywhere, it's in the amount of time I spend blogging and leaving comments. ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting image, quite abstract. Makes me think of caramel toffee and invokes my center of smell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A thought provoking piece, indeed. I especially loved the image of the past mistakes, regrets, etc. hidden away in the shed. This is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched the PBS special on Buddhism last night and feel I am on the right road. Balance is all I have ever worked for since the 70's, and once in a while I feel I have reached that spot....lightly.

    You inspire. Thanks for the kind words today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's such a relief when you're balanced that you wonder why you didn't try to be that way sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed this when you first posted it, but you have touched upon one of the great gifts that most of us only discover in mid-life.
    "That place that is safe and pure and honest..."

    And where we can accept ourselves and our human limitations with grace and humility.

    I love this post and your reflections.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.