Saturday, July 25, 2009

Treasure Chest

I left my childhood home heading to Hawaii first and then on across the Pacific years later, so many years ago, that many of the memories sadly have faded to misty gray. It was a farmhouse at the edge of town on the 'other' side of the railroad tracks. I could walk to school but lived just far enough to catch the school bus which stopped at the turn by my driveway. The only kid that owned a car was the Doctor's son. In those days it was not an uncool thing to ride the school bus. That was the time you had to visit and gossip and I luckily got on the bus at the beginning of the route. My friend from the farm nearby would put on all her make-up on the bus because her father was a very religious conservative. The population of the town was under 2000 which did not seem at all small to me when I lived there because my experiences were also small and I knew almost everyone in town.

My parents have since passed and the farm was sold a few years ago. I probably will not go back that way again as the few friends I have stayed in touch with have moved far away or to nearby towns. A very sad thought, something that probably happens to most of us if we are blessed to live past our usefulness.

I had moved 99% of my 'things' (invaluable stuff ya' know) from my parents' home except for an old camel-back trunk that I had purchased at the Salvation Army store for $5 when I was about 13. I always had BIG plans to restore it, restoration which was needed as can be seen from the photo above, but I never did. (Admittedly it did not have all that white paint on it when I bought it...I think since my brother is in construction he can take credit for that.) I kept it at the back of my closet in the old farmhouse and put inside school annuals, record albums, letters, prom dresses, scrapbooks, etc. For years after I returned to the States I kept forgetting to make the arrangements to have it shipped to where I lived. The trunk was moved to my brother's house when the farm was sold.

Last week it came via UPS wrapped in plain plastic and had been left outside next to the deer fence gate as we had gone shopping for the day. I had been planning on getting it crated, but I find that it weighed more than 70 pounds with all the junk inside. I have not asked my brother how much it cost to send, so I will find that out and send him a nice fat check. We struggled to load the monster into the back of the car and got it as far as the garage floor where it has sat since. I am finally going to open it up today (although I am fighting a sore throat from germs generously shared by my grandson) and see what treasures are tucked inside.

After grabbing another tissue and pouring a glass of wine, I will begin this good memory trip or maybe it will be just an emotional one or maybe a surprising bore. After all, we are so much in love with our own history. My treasures, my junk, who knows...

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't see this being boring AT ALL! Don't forget the camera! I want to see what is inside that trunk and I want stories! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing story. I live for this kind of thing so I'm hoping you share your findings with us.

    If I were there with you, I'd probably be drinking wine, all teary-eyed, right alongside you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see how it can fail to engender several blog posts, Tabor. What a journey you are embarking on. I love old trunks - especially when they are full of saved treasures. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That should be a fun filled day or two going through that old trunk and it will be a fun project to restore it for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is making me smile. I'm sure all the things you discover inside will make you smile too. I hope it is worthy of sharing with your readers. I look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The contents of the trunk will evoke many memories. I wish I were there so you could share them with me as you take out each object.

    I had a trunk full of my 78's and my husband tore down the shed they were stored in. He couldn't move the trunk so it sat outside in the weather for a year.

    Later I wanted to play my records and wondered where they were. When I discovered their fate I remember that I felt like crying. They were warped and the album covers were stuck to the records.

    I hope your trunk fared better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. exciting. please do a followup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tabor, I've just been reminded by somebody else's post that I too have a trunk full of old photographs, diaries and keepsakes. When I open it will i feel embarrassed? Tearful at the remembrance of times long gone, family long gone? Or happy to be able to relive some of my memories?

    I may even feel tempted to post some of the entries in the diaries provided they are not too silly. How about you letting us in on your memories too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a box of treasures that were in the attic of my home of my youth. After my mother died, while going through it I found all these pictures I had never seen of my childhood. My mother hid them and placed them there so I would find them....

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.