Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Junk Trunk Revealed---Part I

It seems that readers of my prior post are somewhat masochistic...so lets take a tour of this old trunk.

I opened the heavy trunk lid and one of the hinges broke away as that side of the lid slid to the floor. Inside everything was dusty from bits of yellowed paper and most of the items in a jumble. So much for how well my brother (or his wife!) packed the trunk. This vase above (what used to be a vase) has absolutely no memory for me. Was it a gift I bought my mother on my travels? Was it some stupid trinket I bought for myself? This vase had never been used. So much for the hope for treasure.

My life was absolutely so filled with very important events that I had to make a huge and comprehensive scrapbook of all my high school activities followed by another thick tome of all the cool stuff I did in college. These thick scrapbooks are filled with mostly cocktail napkins, theater tickets, theater programs, old ribbons, newspaper clippings, my band letter(s) and a very few awards as well...nothing that even my children would find of interest today. There was also a JFK scrapbook filled with newspaper clippings.

My music tastes were somewhat prosaic, but I had no money and so each album was purchased with care. I also had some Frank Sinatra albums and an entire collection of Shakespeare productions on record (OMG, what a bore was I?), but where those went I surely don't know. Does anyone remember the singer Claudine Longet and that terrible murder in Aspen?

Above is the dress I wore to my Senior Prom. I am so surprised at how thin I was. I was actually elected "Queen" of the prom that year. Before you get impressed (ha!) my graduating class was under 25 students and only half of those were girls. I do think this Jacqueline Kennedy style of dress has stood the test of time. If I was still that thin ( yeah, big dreamer) and still had somewhere formal to go, I think would wear it.

Now I am going to sit down and open these scrapbooks...more to follow. That ought to be somewhat interesting.

10 comments:

  1. Well, that was fun! I have only one scrapbook like that, mostly from high school and college, too. My kids are not remotely interested in my memorabilia...LOL

    Check out the vase - it could have value. I DO remember the Claudine Longet murder; Spider someone who was a skier, right? What a scandal back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think your prom dress is fabulous! Can't wait to see what the scrap books contain. My trunk is filled with loose pieces of paper, in my disorganized, signature fashion. Oh, and I think I still have my drill team uniform in there as well. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to wear it again.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tabor, I am so curious about what your scrapbooks contain! You must update as soon as possible.

    The dress. Wow! Completely dreamy and one I would wear as well! I get many of my clothes from the local thrift stores and most are from that era. Definitely wear it if you can and if not - alter it so you can! That's what I say!!

    Anyway, thanks for sharing - as usual you always have the most incredible things to talk about. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cobalt blue. I went through a phase (matched with mahogany furniture) in the mid 80s while living in VA.

    Love that dress. Very pretty.

    I had no idea about the Claudine Longet story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My treasures are in two air tight containers at our old house. You make me want to open them and take a stroll down memory lane. Thank you for sharing your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I do remember Claudine Longet and her role in the Spider Sabich shooting. I think she is still in Aspen but remarried and living quietly.The dress is gorgeous. I can't get into mine these days either, but i do enjoy looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, lovely dress. Yes, too, hang on to the scrapbooks.....for now. I delight in following you as you explore the trunk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks so much for sharing. hope you had fun in the scrapbooks! i, too, remember claudine longet and the awful tragedy. do you remember that she was married to andy williams and had a few kids with him before this shooting occurred?

    we have all enjoyed this trunk, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh very cool to see your treasures. How much fun it must be for you. I do remember the Claudine Longet situation quite well. I found it shocking at the time. I also remember her doing the Andy Williams family Christmas shows, back when she was married to him. She was also in one of my favouite Peter Sellers movies.. The Party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you still have the dress! It's pretty. Mine must have burned up in the fire when they took our childhood home via eminent domain and I was too absorbed being 20 to retrieve anything.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.