Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Gran Torino

I do not like doing movie reviews. There are enough critics out there and I disagree with most of them, and besides, everyone has different tastes in movies. BUT...!

After hubby and I dropped off the grandchildren to their respective day care facilities we headed to the big shopping mall, the one we had not visited since before the winter holidays. We bought some expensive tea, some books and CDs on sale and I bought a blouse that I am now thinking of returning.

OK enough about shopping...we were just killing time anyway in very expensive way waiting for our matinee movie to start.

We wanted to see what all the hoopla was about Slumdog Millionaire and bought two tickets. I got a discount as it seems I am now a senior citizen for this theatre! A week-day matinee with senior discount is probably the cheapest I will ever see a movie. We went straight to the theater and I left my coat on the seat next to my husband and told him I had to visit the ladies room and made a quick dash before the show started.

When I returned he was watching the previews. These should have given us a clue as they were all pretty serious movies. Once they were done, we realized we were in the wrong theater as we saw that this theater was showing Gran Torino. Hubby quickly left and checked the other theaters and returned telling me we should have been in the theater next door. By the time he got back I was not in the mood for leaving.

I am so glad that I did not leave. I really enjoyed this movie. It is tight, extremely well directed, Clint Eastwood develops a great over the top character with fatal flaws, and they do not stereotype the Catholic priest, which is unusual. Most of the characters like those in Slumdog Millionaire are foreign and not ones
you would recognize. They are given dimension in being good guys and bad guys. This and the authentic look of the setting in Michigan is what makes the movie so real and so interesting.

Maybe I liked it because I could identify with the challenges of aging, but I don't think it is that simple.

I was crying by the end...but sad movies always make me cry.

6 comments:

  1. If it's sad, I won't want to see it. There is enough sadness around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never go to movies, but enjoyed your movie review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been ages since I sat in a movie theatre. We usually rent the dvds and nowadays I download the movies using torrents and watch them on the computer. So, one more addition--Gran torino.
    I liked 'million dollar baby' by clint eastwood. Yet to watch his other movies. Thanks for the recommendation.
    'Slumdog...' has mixed reviews--I'm yet to watch that too. Don't like that kinda melodrama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard about the sad ending. Been wanting to catch this one myself. Oh, and I used to drive a Gran Torino.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've heard about this movie many times. thanks for giving me a clue about what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:42 AM

    This is so on my list. Even higher up than Slumdog. I love the character of Clint's movies and the depth.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.