Saturday, February 28, 2009

Words

I have always had a love affair with words. Beginning as an early reader at 3, I took my favorite books everywhere with me in place of a security blanket.

I was thinking about all the places that I have read to myself and/or others both silently and out loud.
I have read at the kitchen table (but not when others are there), I have read on the backyard deck, in the living room, in front of the TV, in bed, on the toilet, in the bathtub, on boats, in the canoe, in cars (but not when moving as I get carsick), in a tent, beside rivers, on many beaches, beside many swimming pools, in a number of hotel lobbies, in my grandchildren's beds, in their rocking chair, in front of a classroom, on stage, backstage, in front of the computer (natch), on the dock, in a plane, on a train, in front of a fire (struggling in the dim light to see), under a table, at a park, in my garden, at an ice rink, in a ski lodge (but NOT on the ski lift), in a church, resting on a dog, under a clothes line (much to my mother's dismay---I was supposed to be hanging clothes.), in a stadium, at a bull fight in Spain (avoiding watching the fight), behind a barn, inside a barn, under a tree, in a book store, at a restaurant, at many desks, in many libraries and classrooms, and at the kitchen counter during cooking waiting for the stew to boil. It seems I always have something to read in my hands.

For a number of years now my favorite word has been essence. This may change, but right now it means the hint of the special that is. The potential for the whole, without being overwhelmed by the whole. The intrigue that keeps you searching and wondering.

What is your favorite word? Where is some special/odd place that you read?

12 comments:

  1. I love the way you write and describe things. A special word, I am thinking. The word Peace means much to me. I think because for half of my lifetime I did not have it. Now I do and it is my most valuable possesion. I guard my peace if this makes sense.
    Reading is just usually in my special old chair or with pillows behind me in bed. When growing up I would climb high in a tree and read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love words and to choose just one would be so difficult that I won't even try.

    I have read nearly every place you named, except at a bullfight - but I did read once at a UNC football game - earning my husband's scorn for eons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. juxtaposition.....i like the old and the new, where change happens. We have a museum that part of it is very old and castle like, then they make an addition and it is modern. You would think this would not look good but it does.
    I have no new places to add. I mostly read in bed...to myself and the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write so well, perhaps because you are well read. I don't read as much as I would like to. I never seem to find the time. Now I read mostly in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite word is **sigh**...It expresses exactly what I am feeling at that moment simply and to the point.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Favorite word: ludicrous, but have always been intrigued by the word "natch".

    Places I've read, not on your list: Doctor's waiting rooms and hospital rooms. Though it isn't very special.

    Porches would be the same as a deck. The front porch was one of my favorite memories.

    I haven't done this, but how about on a rooftop or in a tree tree/house?

    This post brought back some good memories. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have always loved the word exacerbate. but i love so many words i can't say it is my favorite.

    to add to your list, i have read on a bus and in a taxi, in a hammock, in my recliner, at a picnic table, in a swing, in a glider, on a garden bench, and in restaurants.

    thank you for your recent kind comments regarding my mother's death, tabor. this is a hard journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. a friend told me once that a wide reader makes a good writer. i bet you're a conversationalist as well. :)

    i'm not a well read person and that's the reason why i ran out of words when i try to make a post. *sigh*

    by the way, my favorite word is 'life'. it just means a lot to me. :)

    keep reading and blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Favorite word is "serendipity"

    I just read in the usual places but mostly in bed.



    Main Entry: ser·en·dip·i·ty
    Pronunciation: \-ˈdi-pə-tē\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: from its possession by the heroes of the Persian fairy tale The Three Princes of Serendip
    Date: 1754
    : the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for ; also : an instance of this

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sounded like Dr. Seuss. lol I like serendipity and I always read on road trips. I get very bored and antsy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well there's always "Serendipity" which I wrote about a few posts back, but I also love the words "whimsy."

    I don't read nearly enough these days, but I do a bit of catching up when I'm on the bus or train, as I will be tomorrow.

    Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:43 AM

    I used to sunbathe with a Rona Barrett magazine (yesterday's People) and am still like that today. But I do love words, as you know!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.