Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Pretentious Vanity

It is pretentious for me to hit my sixties and say that I do not care how I look. I have drawers full of cosmetics and face creams and hair goo. If I didn't care how I looked, I would throw all of these out and go plain Jane. I do go plain on most days. Putting on only moisturizer and hair conditioner to keep me from flaking away. Some folks were born into that gene pool of aging gracefully and look just as good without makeup as they do with it. Sissy Spacek comes to mind. She looks 16 and has looked like a teenager her whole life.

I don't care how I look (just stop by for a visit) when I am lounging around the house, when I am cleaning the house, when I am stacking wood, blogging in the early morning or when I am digging a garden bed. I really do not care, because the evidence of my actions excuses my messy looks.

I care just a little how I look when I have gotten through rolling on the floor with a toddler, cooking a rather industrious meal for guests, or changing planes at the airport. I do want a brush through my hair and some lipstick help before I settle into that next plane for hours.

But, I am nervously vain about appearances when I am going on vacation to areas where the climate insures that one does not wear many clothes. All the make-up and hair spray will not make me look healthy in a swimsuit.

Last year we agreed to a Disney Cruise with my daughter and her in-laws this coming April. Yes, a cruise where the majority of passengers are below 3 feet in height. Yes, we agreed to being confined on the ocean on a boat with tiny cabins and hundreds of busy activities run by scary high energy employees in costumes...not my idea of a vacation, especially when you shell out such sums of money for this. But I was determined in my elder years to be more generous in avoiding regrets by failing to do things in life that seemed regrettable and thanked them for remembering us and purchased the tickets.

My appearance concern starts escalating because I will be with a 60-something grandma that has a lovely figure and two nicely built thirty-something females, one of whom used to be a professional cheerleader. You know the type, artificial breasts, straight blond hair and the sweetest little face. I have been trying (without success and empathizing each day with Oprah) to lose about 10 more pounds so that I don't look like a walking light bulb. Yes, a low watt bulb, a dim bulb but a bulb none-the-less. I am a healthy grandma. I am not asking for a 50 pound re-make here, just a little reshaping.

Can I lift 12 pound free weights for 20 reps ? Yes. Can I run a 3 minute mile? Yes. Can I do 80% of that nasty yoga tape before collapsing in a sodden lump on the mat? Yes. Can I do 5 minutes of very intense ab work? Yes. Can I lose more weight around my mid-section? Apparently not.

Last week I avoided the 3 ten-minute miles on the elliptical every other day (YES, dear readers, 3 TEN MINUTE MILES(!)) in favor of an old 'Firm' tape that used to push me to the limit with both weights and aerobics. The d**n thing runs for a full 55 minutes and I was determined to make it through the entire excruciating ordeal at this re-start of a new direction in my weight loss program.

I made it. My form was somewhat sloppy, but I made it to the end of the tape. I was sweating and breathing heavy...but I made it.

The very next day I could barely make it out of bed. That afternoon it felt as if knives had been plunged into my thighs, buttocks and calves. The day following that I took that forest hike I had written about on my other blog and I honestly thought I would DIE from the pain of just walking. The vision of being carried out on a stretcher by two forest rangers did not seem unrealistic. Two more days and some yoga later and I still consider it a torture to go up the stairs to blog in the morning. I still take Aleve when I fall into bed at night. I still have not lost the 10 pounds! Yes I have gained a pound...sure, you can tell me it is muscle, but it didn't land anywhere useful that I can see.

Vanity is a most poisonous sin but it does not eat you from the inside out...at least not so it shows.

6 comments:

  1. There, you said it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tabor, I am sorry. The vanity part I share. The weight, I do not share. Every morning like brushing my teeth I do moisturizer, lipstick and do something to my hair. Does not matter if I am inside all day cleaning, on computer or in the garden or run errands - it is habit. I think that is part of being solo. Maybe I will still run into prince charming at the gas pump. I try to keep 110 to 114 and I know - no one wants to hear that but I struggle to keep weight on. The cruise for me, no way. I have been invited to accompany my daughters family and the two little ones in March to a resort. I am not going. Any trip I take will have to be more relaxing at this time of life.
    Do the best you can and that is all you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its just not fair. All that effort and gaining a pound?!

    Maybe its your karma? Dont ask me how, I am trying to be consoling....

    ...but I wont resort to cliché.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i applaud you! you do some amazing work there and apparently do it frequently. lots of good exercise in your normal routine and then you add the extras. WOW!

    the weight gain may simply be water retention. anti-inflammatories like advil will cause this. i don't know about aleve. i have no doubt that you will get those 10 pounds off easily. eating lots of salads is a good way for many people to lose a few pounds easily. the raw veggies are good fiber and low carb. i love mine with a few mandarin oranges slices and walnuts added and a good light basil vinaigrette.

    biofreeze is great for the body pain (muscles) but hard to find unless you have a chiropractor who sells it. i am never without a tube or roll-on bottle of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seldom wear more than lipstick, although I do use hair conditioner since it would stick straight up if I didn't.

    I have not been able to work out much since the first of Dec. and it is beginning to show, more than ever. I admire your efforts. Good luck; you'll have a great time on that cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am hysterical as I read this post of yours!!!! You have such a wonderful take on life and an honesty about yourself that is totally refreshing.
    I'm pretty impressed with all that you can do.

    You go girl.... : )
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.