Sunday, January 04, 2009

Being in the Moment


Honoring my ongoing promise to myself to be more 'in the moment', I fixed a dinner of rosemary lamb chops, garlic and curry roast potatoes, and a healthy baby spinach salad with orange-wedges (from my favorite clementines), thin red onion slices and almonds. The meal was beautiful to look at and in honor of being in the moment I did not rush away to take a picture for the blog. (The picture above was taken on another day with silly glasses that do not match.) I took my time to inhale each captivating smell as I sat down for dinner, and while we do not say grace, I was thankful in my heart and soul and to the powers that be for this meal. I slowly chewed each bite of food and let the flavors linger before swallowing. My husband and I respected the value and precious quality of this meal and the quiet time we had to linger over it.

My husband had made a fresh pitcher of cold green tea and in keeping with the spirit of the moment I brought the glass to my nose to inhale as if it were a fine wine before taking my first sip. The green tea had been enhanced with a sliver of the little kaffir lime that had clung to the tree for months before falling to the floor when I turned the tree in the sun that morning. When I inhaled, the aroma was like a verdant spark. It was lime but not lime. It was like a sweet floral perfume but not heavy or out of place. It was better than even drinking the lovely green tea itself. This gift from the 4 foot citrus plant in a green plastic pot tucked in the corner window was one of the best gifts I got over the holiday season.

I will try to be in the moment more often.

12 comments:

  1. You got all that out of a sliver of lime?
    That's some tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got all that out of a sliver of lime?
    That's some tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:20 PM

    Reading that almost made me feel drunk and there wasn't even any alcohol in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you sure seem in the moment in this post, Tabor, and the lime blossoms were quite beautiful on your other blog.

    Taking a leaf from my 9" tall Kaffir lime may be in the future, but I could be in the moment by going out to the refrigerator and savoring one of the Lemon Bars made with a Meyer Lemon from our little tree. Growing citrus inside is so much fun.

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. That meal sounds delicious!
    But then anything right now would sound delicious now that I am on my post holiday season diet.
    LOL

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  6. We should all try to be so present in the moment as you were!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm. That sounds exactly what retirement should smell, taste and feel like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go! In the moment is the only place to be!

    I'll see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tabor, thank you for this post.
    Reading it was almost like I was enjoying the meal with you. This is the way I like to eat but fall so short most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this post Tabor! I'm now craving lamb. lol

    What a way to start 2009

    ReplyDelete
  11. MMmmmmmmmm...what a lovely dining experience I just had with you and I didn't even need to eat a thing!

    Maybe when my temporary crown is replaced with the permanent one in two weeks, I can dine 'in the moment' too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I ever served dinner drinks with matching glassware, my family would take my temperature or swear I'd been thieving our local Kohls.

    Tabor... have missed you very much ... enjoy your writing as always ... and I wish wish wish there could be enough time in a day to enjoy all the creative outlets I enjoy - but ... you know how that goes.

    Hoping you and those you love enjoy a wonderfully peace-filled and healthy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.