Saturday, January 03, 2009

Venezia

"Once did she hold the gorgeous East in fee, And was the safeguard of the West."
Author: William Wordsworth



The husband has found a new good friend and like puppy dogs they have taken this mild winter day off to do what is shown above. They have driven down south with a boat in tow and will spend the night in a hotel. Thus I have two precious ha
lf days to myself.

In the last few hours I have just finished reading:


and was feeling a little cold and wet like the characters in this mystery that trudged through Venice in search of the murderer during the high water season.



I put on the above music, which was a holiday gift, as I prepared a light and warming lunch and when finished eating I continued my immersion in all things Italian.

As I sat on the couch, I tucked my stockinged feet under me and opened Michael Krondl's "The Taste of Conquest" which is about the "rise and fall of three great cities of spice" and once again found myself back in Venice but at a much earlier time when European involvement in the spice trade flourished. And, of course, the first city he visits is Venice. It appears that Venice began with salt and war...no surprise there and since they cont
rolled the trade sold salt to Italy at an 80% profit.


I visited Venice a number of years ago and it is a city that is overwhelming in its beauty and somewhat frightening in it decadence. It is my understanding that because the city is sinking its population is dwindling. All things change and nothing stays the same.

Well, excuse me, must get back to my reading.


5 comments:

  1. Enjoy your time "alone" It is great - the peacefulness. As time goes by - there may not be many days like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had a house full of company since December 20th. My son is here until tomorrow then Ron and I will be alone until January 19th when another couple visits us. I'm relaxing as much as I can before we fill up the Inn once again. I envy your reading and will try to do some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna Leon's one of my favorite authors. Even when the plot flags a bit, or I don't care for how the story comes out, her writing is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Venice is one of those cities that can have a great hold on people.

    Its chequered history ensures plenty of interest for those addicted LOL

    Have you heard of "Miss Garnet's Angel" by Salley Vickers? A gentle book that whose delights were passed on from one person to another by word of mouth - mostly fellow addicts! I hope you can find it where you are. Wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have too many days like this. lol I need some balance before my butt starts being a double wide. lol

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.